none
Outlook 2010 default address/account RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 outlook accounts, work (external), work (internal) and home, all on my PC at work.  When I used outlook 2007 I was prompted to choose the address from which to send e-mails before they were sent.  2010 uses a default, which is the address that the mail came in to.  This is a problem for me as all my mail comes to a central mail box and is then forwarded to me at my internal address.  Due to the nature of my work I dictate most responses which are sent by my secretary but occasionally I respond directly, which means the default address is my internal address.  I need to set the default as my external address or be prompted to choose the address (like outlook 2007) to avoid my internal address being used by accident.  Is this possible, I cannot find a way of setting it in options or setting a rule.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

Generally, Outlook 2010 will automatically select the sending account based on the currently selected folder. For example, if you click the Inbox folder of your internal work account, the From field would use your internal address by default.

If you want to have Outlook prompt you to select an account when sending a new message, please create and set the forceaccountselection Registry value for Outlook 2010:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\outlook\options
    Value name: forceaccountselection
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Note: This setting only applies to new messages and not to replies and forwards. Replies and forwards will always use the same account that you have received the original message with.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:35 AM