none
Central Administration console cannot access remotely RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have SP2010 installed on Win 2008 server. I can access the central administration site in the server but cannot access remotely. In the remote system browser, i get username and password while using the server address and port of the CA (http://server:nnnn). Eventhough giving correct credentials of administrator it is not accepting.

I also have a problem of getting blank page in some of the pages of document libraries (Note in all libraries) connected with infopath forms. May be both are related?

Thanks for your support

Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:41 AM

All replies

• Does this apply only to Central Admin? What about the site collections? What operating system are you using to access Central Admin? Have you checked this KB article for Windows Vista/7? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943280

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:17 PM
  • First thing I would try is to add the CA site's address to your browser's list of trusted sites (assuming you're using IE), that's a common issue I've run into. If that doesn't work, I would check the event logs on the server and see if there's any info in them that may indicate why the authentication is failing when the request comes from outside the server.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Bass_Player,

It happens only for CA. all other sites are working. We are using Win 7 Pro. I will read that article now.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for notifying that, i get an event under the 'Secutity'. Event ID 4625 An account failed to log on. The logon process is kerberos. I want to use NTLM windows integrated security instead of kerberos. how is it possible?

Thanks again

Saturday, May 26, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi

Update! I changed the CA web application authentication provider to NTLM in the Central administration site and now i can login from remote computer. Is there any security breach changing this way? Because it is not asking me for credentials (By the way, i am in admin group) but opens the CA site directly.

Thanks

Saturday, May 26, 2012 1:38 PM
  • The reason it now opens up CA directly without prompting you for credentials is because of

1) You already have the CA's URL in the list of trusted sites, as John already mentioned

2) Your credential has already been passed by IE to the SharePoint site (in this case, the CA)

While Microsoft recommends the use of Kerberos in an intranet-based deployment, most customers implement NTLM because it is the simplest form of Windows authentication to implement (plus the fact that Kerberos has to be configured properly prior to even installing SharePoint.) Check out this TechNet article for more details

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262350.aspx#section9

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

I tested with another user (with local administrator of a client system), i surprised why the CA opened with full permission! i dont want this way. How can I deny access  all to CA site except domain admin and farm administrators?

Thank you

Sunday, May 27, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Any idea how to restrict CA access?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:04 PM