Emails of shared email box in outlook are bypassing deleted items folder of the mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a group of users that are apart of a shared email and here recently the items that are deleted out of the inbox bypass the deleted items folder and can only be found in the "recover deleted items" folder of that mailbox. this only started occurring after May 31. No rules or settings have been changed to my knowledge and this occurs on both the OWA and client.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi, I have a group of users that are apart of a shared email and here recently the items that are deleted out of the inbox bypass the deleted items folder and can only be found in the "recover deleted items" folder of that mailbox. this only started occurring after May 31. No rules or settings have been changed to my knowledge and this occurs on both the OWA and client.

Hi,

What's your detailed Exchange server version number and Outlook version number?

For the shared mailbox that shared to a group of users, how did they open this shared mailbox in Outlook? Added as additional mailbox for their primary mailbox in Advanced tab of Account Settings > More Settings, or added as second email account in Outlook?

For further troubleshooting, please delete a message from their primary mailbox, confirm if the item is moved to primary deleted items folder or "recover deleted items" folder. Then do the same test for the shared mailbox.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:54 AM
  • We are cloud based as far as the exchange server and the outlook version number is 2016 MSO (16.0.4549.1000) 64-bit.

The mailbox was added as an additional mailbox for their primary mailbox.

I tested this and deleted messages in the primary mailbox go to the primary deleted items folder. emails deleted in the shared mailboxes inbox can only be found in the recover deleted items folder of the shared mailbox.

Monday, June 26, 2017 2:05 PM
  • Hi Raynnnn,

In Outlook side, please try the following method to add shared mailbox and delete items for a test:

1. In Outlook, click File > Account Settings in the Account Settings list.
    2. In the Account Settings dialog box, in the E-mail tab, click New.
    3. In Auto Account Setup dialog, fill in with the shared mailbox Name and E-mail address, keep the Password blank, click Next.
    4. If there is a window prompted for credentials to connect this shared mailbox, use your credentials (your User Name and your Password) for authentication.
    5. Click Finish to complete the shared mailbox configuration. 
    6. Restart Outlook and click the shared mailbox, delete an email from Inbox and check if it is listed in Shared mailbox deleted items folder.

If the issue persists in this scenario, please confirm if other Shared mailbox encounter the same issue in your environment.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?
    If my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer to close the thread. It will help other who have the similar issue.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 7:49 AM
  • I'm not able to add this shared mailbox to mine but i tested three of the users whom are apart of the shared mailbox and had them send a test email with the same results nothing going to the sent or deleted items folders. 

I'm starting to think the mailbox is corrupt but deleting and recreating this mailbox is not an option according to my boss. I found a cmdlet New-MailboxReapairRequest but this only applies to on-premise exchange servers where at our location we have Exchange online cloud based servers.

• Edited by Raynnnn Friday, July 14, 2017 9:11 PM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 7:10 PM