none
Office 2010 SP1 installation failed with error 78F

Question

• SP1 for Office 2010, 32bit failed with Code 78F.  I have tried the installation via Windows Update and as a stand-alone installation.  I do not have Bitlocker installed or enabled and the system has all current updates installed.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Me too. Been trying for days. Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Office 2010 32bit.

Tried full download/install, removing all .Net and any other fix I've read about apart from the only one which seems to work which is a complete OS reinstall. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered (and shouldn't have to!!!!) format my machine to get an Office update to install....

Friday, July 8, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Enable the full Windows Installer Logging (see  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300), delete everything from you %temp% folder and try the installation again.

Examine the created log files and search for Error 1935. Maybe you could use the hints at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2004/11/10/255346.aspx

Friday, July 8, 2011 9:00 AM
  • I have the same problem. Win 7 Professional 32bit, Office 2010 32 bit.

Cannot find a way to process the SP1 update. Tried Windows update, stand-alone, etc... I have 5 PCs. Only one got this issue. No clue why. Never had any issue with the specific PC before...

Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hi

Office 2010 Service Pack 1 - 5 Common questions regarding the Service Pack

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2011/07/06/office-2010-service-pack-1-5-common-questions-regarding-the-service-pack.aspx

Common Problem: “The installation of this package failed” due to not enough disk space

This is the generic error dialog that appears when an unknown error occurs during installation. The majority of these failures are related to not having enough space on the system drive. The download size for Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 x86 is 361 MB, however with extraction (%temp%) and windows installer caching (%windir%), the amount of disk space required for installation is around 1.3 GB.

If freeing up disk space does not solve the issue, please read the following KB article KB954713 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954713)

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 1:39 AM
  • I found several errors in the opatchinstall.log file--most of htem indicating a failure creating a TEMP folder.

Error Code Values

The system has plenty of disk space (184GB) and there are no pending installations requiring a reboot.  I will run the setup with the /LOG switch and post the results.

Thanks.

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Monday, July 11, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Yep... it worked...

Put in a readable CD or DVD and Disconnect any USB card readers.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lv-LV/officesetupdeploy/thread/c52e14f4-a0b8-4071-9ee1-41e08bdcf486

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:38 AM
  • On my company, only 2 worksation (Hp Pro 3130 MT) have a error on Office 2010 SP1 installation trought Windows Update.

This workstation have an integrated USB Multi Card reader.

Disable all USB Hub controller on Computer Manage\ Device Manager fix the 1935 error.

SO: Windows 7 Pro x64

Office 2010 x86

Sorry for my english.

Daniele.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:04 AM
  • This is still an issue.  I have tried the suggestions from other members here and those that you suggested.  I managed to install the SP on my persoanl system with WIN7 Ultimate.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Verified fix for error code 78F...

Put in a DVD or CD into the optical drive...play it in the background....then re-initiate SP1 update process...

Make sure all USB drives are removed...Update will install successfully.

100% Verified workaround...{SOLVED}

• Marked as answer by davemill99 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:40 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:16 AM