I am getting several of these error for one user in our orginization. Here is the strange part. I have a script that gave the initial folder count he had in Outlook (1150). After he went through and deleted more than half his folders, the script still says he has 1150 folders and I'm still seeing an error in Exchange (Event ID: 9646). We went through and counted each folder individually in his outlook (244). Why is it still showing he has exceeded? How can I fix this? I don't want to modify the Exchange Server registry! I've seen enough input on the net about this!
Event ID: 9646
Mapi session "/o=ORGANIZATION/ou=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=%USERNAME%" exceeded the maximum of 500 objects of type "objtFolder".
Check below link if it helps..
However I would suggest you to validate your script in development forum looks like it is creating new session everytime when it connets to Exchange server to count each items.
Development Forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=838&SiteID=17
Actually, I just ran this command:Code Snippet[PS] H:\>Get-MailboxFolderStatistics %mailboxname% | Sort-Object ItemsInFolder -Descending |Format-Table Identity,ItemsInFolder > C:\something.txt
I copied the output TXT file into Excel to get a number count. It shows well over 1000 as the count, which is what the script gave. We discovered that his e-mail folders go deeper within some folders. :/
I really don't want to modify the registry to accomodate this. Is there any other way around this?
Hi Eric,I have not seen any issues with Xobni and this type of problem. I use it myself and have not seen this error.I do however have the same issue with another user on our network. Likewise, he doesn't have any where near 500 folders.Did you ever find a solution?
Are there any known issues with Xobni and Outlook? The client has Xobni installed as a search agent for Outlook.
Sorry for resurrecting a dead here, but I am having the same issue, and it shows only on a user that has many folders (although not as many as 500), and uses Xobni. No other user is caussing the event log message.
- Proposed as answer by Tamas Uracs Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:53 PM
Though there are no such known issues with Outlook and Xobni I would think of not using it for a while. Microsoft Search facilitates the search option in outlook 2007 now. So I would not really need it unless it is required for business reasons. MSSearch is pretty fast to accomodate an ordinary requirement I guess :-)
I am not really very sure how does Xobni access the information when a search is initiated but most of such search engines query the information store directly instead of looking inot search content folders on server. So first step is to disable the add in.
More number of folders and an extended hirarchy of folders can also cause the event ID 9646 in logs and all over this if you have another software which is querying the store for a particular object using MAPI interface then it will surely create a mess up. I would certainly not keep explaining the entire search mechanism and how outlook accesses the data from stores because its a vast process to explain. I hope that makes some sense :-).
- Proposed as answer by yllim Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:49 PM
Had a similair problem with one user who caused messages in the event log (Event ID = 9646 Exchange Connections event, exceeded the maximum of 500 objects of type "objtFolder"). The message returned every half hour.
The problem was that the person was using an Outlook plugin (Google Desktop Search). After removing Google Desktop Search the problem was gone.
So your problem might be caused bij an Outlook plugin as well.