none
Cannot change text after having modified a stencil in Visio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have copied and edited a stencil that contains a textbox and an image shape. I have edited the stencil by replacing the original image shape with another shape.

I use the edited stencil by dragging it onto a drawing. When I double click the stencil I do not get into the textbox so I can edit the text. This worked before I edited the stencil.

I have tried to make sure that the shape in the stencil is placed at the very back but it doesn't help. What am I doing wrong?

Regards
    Glenn

Monday, January 10, 2011 1:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Glenn,

We have seen this issue when we edit the image by ungrouping and then grouping it back. You need to edit the stencil by following method

To edit the grouped shape is to right click on the grouped shape, select 'Group' from context menu, and then click "Open <ShapeName>". This will open the grouped shape in a new window, titled "DrawingName:ShapeName <Group>". You should be able to edit individual shapes in this window (if the shape is still grouped on this new window then follow the steps mentioned above again from this new window to open the group). Once done with your editng, close the window titled "DrawingName:ShapeName <Group>" to go back to your main drawing (use View tab > 'Switch Windows' option to see all open drawings windows and close the right one).

Hope this help!!!

Regards!!! Navdeep Bawa
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:14 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Glenn,

We have seen this issue when we edit the image by ungrouping and then grouping it back. You need to edit the stencil by following method

To edit the grouped shape is to right click on the grouped shape, select 'Group' from context menu, and then click "Open <ShapeName>". This will open the grouped shape in a new window, titled "DrawingName:ShapeName <Group>". You should be able to edit individual shapes in this window (if the shape is still grouped on this new window then follow the steps mentioned above again from this new window to open the group). Once done with your editng, close the window titled "DrawingName:ShapeName <Group>" to go back to your main drawing (use View tab > 'Switch Windows' option to see all open drawings windows and close the right one).

Hope this help!!!

Regards!!! Navdeep Bawa
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Navdeep,

I have made a copy of a stencil and created a text box but now when I place the new stencil on a page I can't edit the text even though I can edit it on the Master stencil.

What do I need to do to allow editing of the text inside the stencil when I place it on a page?  Thanks in advance. :)

Regards,

Shane.

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Shane,

When you modified your shape, I suspect you ungrouped it. This action destroyed the pointer to the embedded text box. You have to go back to the shape in the stencil and re-setup the shape so that it again points to the text. This may be as simple as setting the shape selection to select subshapes first. What version of Visio are you using?

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:37 AM