none
Windows Mobile Device Centre

Question

• I have installed the Windows 10 Creator Update. This stops Windows Mobile Device Centre from working and doesn’t allow the connection of any Windows CE , Windows Mobile Devices and Emulators synchronising with the PC.

I have uninstalled Windows Mobile Device Centre and reinstalled but still doesn’t work.

Please can you let us know if there is a fix for this as we use this program every day.

Many Thanks,

Dave

Monday, April 10, 2017 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Firstly, make sure AutoPlay feature is enabled.

Then, update system to the latest build 15063.14. Install WMDC in compatibility mode again to check result.

If still no help, please feedback this situation via Feedback Hub app.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Hi All,

I have tried everything but still doesn’t work on Build No 1703, was fine until I upgraded last week.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

This is going to cause us and a lot of other people a massive headache as we rely on this software to connect up Windows Mobiles & Windows CE Devices to load software.

If we don't have this facility anymore not sure what we are going to do.

Please can somebody in Microsoft help on this as there are lot of handhelds worldwide that rely on this.

This needs to be resolved soon as possible.

Many Thanks,

Dave

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Same problem here.

Since we're developping for CE-devices this is going to be a problem.

Already preparing my old Windows 7 computer.

A fix would be awesome ...

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:46 AM
  • I also tried these steps with no result.

Even installing WMDC seems to have issues.

Please fix this Microsoft!

Kind Regards,
    Kevin

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:53 AM
  • Same problem here , i uninstalled the WMDC and now i can`t reinstall it .

Please fix it .

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

try to change an user account, which is used to start "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" Service (WcesComm). Originally the "Local Service" is used. After changing to "Local System" I could start this service and the Motorola device has started to connect to the pc.

The only problem is now - it connects only once. After disconnecting and connecting I have to restart "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" and "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity".

Looks like, the "Local Service" account's permissions  have been changed in the creator update and the WcessComm cannot create a semaphore (permission denied). 

Alexander

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:30 PM
  • Fantastic News.

Just tried it and it works perfectly

Thank you so much Alexander, You are a Star

Very Happy Man & Team :-) :-)

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Great , it works now .

Thank you very much for your help Alexander.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:26 AM
  • Does this mean that you have to log in on a different account on the PC?
    Or can you run the service in a certain mode?

But I don't see this as a definitive solution.
    Microsoft should act on this and fix it so it can be used as it was originally.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Hi All,

Mine as stopped working this morning.

Is yours still working Sorin after reboot?

Dave

Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:06 AM
  • Does this mean that you have to log in on a different account on the PC?
    Or can you run the service in a certain mode?

No, you have to change a service user account (Log On As) of this service. You need for this an administrative account on your PC. You need also the permissions to restart this service everytime after disconnecting and reconnecting the device.

I agree and hope, MS will fix it. Otherwise for many of us, how writes applications for and support the old windows mobile the Creator Update is no-go...

Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:55 AM
  • Same here. I am able to get Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) to install, but not fully run. Installing required manually enabling the .NET Framework 3.5 similar to as described at the following web page.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-instal-net-framework-35-on-windows-10/450b3ba6-4d19-45ae-840e-78519f36d7a4

After install, you must right click on Start, and then click on Computer Management > Services & Applications > Services. Scroll down to right-click on "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" to select Properties > Log On. Switch to "Local System account" with checking "Allow service to interact with desktop", click OK, and then Start the service.

On the handheld, tap on Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC icon, uncheck the “Enable Advanced Network Functionality” checkbox, tap OK, and then connect the cable.

WMDC never shows connected, but ActiveSync on the handheld does, and you can at least open File Explorer on your PC to go to the drive with the name of the device to “browse the contents of the remote device” for transferring files. Though I am not sure how much this limits RAPI functions.

These Services settings changes sometimes must be re-applied when you Restart your PC or just when you disconnect and re-connect a device. So this is obviously not a final solution.

I am not sure why the “Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity” (WcesComm) and “Windows Mobile-based device connectivity” (RapiMgr) services sometimes only work with the old “USB ActiveSync serial PPP” driver, while only on rare occasions these work with the newer “USB ActiveSync RNDIS” driver.

• Edited by mojosmith Friday, April 14, 2017 8:40 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Hi

So, after some debugging and searching the problem seems to be solved even with Local Service account.
    The creators update has a new feature, related to svchost.exe: the services will not share by default the same svchost.exe, even they are assigned to be run within of the same group with -k option. More detailed has been described here.

Rapimgr and Wcescomm (Windows Mobile-based device connectivity and Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity) are such services: they are defined to be started in the same shared svchost.exe (-k WindowsMobile). RapiMgr creates a kernel semaphore AS_ACCEPTANCE_SEMA, because it starts first.  WcesComm tries to do this too, but fails: the semaphore has been already created and should be only opened. This will fail: not enough permissions (remember: two different svchost.exe, different SID, etc). So, wcescomm is just stopped.

The fix is simply: add SvcHostSplitDisable to the both services RapiMgr and WcesComm:

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RapiMgr /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WcesComm /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Both services should have the same Local Service Account. You have to reboot after this change.

Added: Both services should have on Recovery tab in "Subsequent failures" the "Restart Service" enabled. Seems, RapiMgr crashes sometimes on the device disconnecting. 

Monday, April 17, 2017 10:36 AM
  • Thank you so much!

The fix with the registry worked like a charm.
    Still don't understand why or how this could have slipped by MS...
    Hope they will fix this, but in the meantime your fix will keep us going ;).

Kind Regards,
    Kevin

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:33 AM
  • Hi Alexander

Can you send me a screen shot or a export of your Reg File as not sire what value to put in Hexadecimal or Decimal

Email david.payne@datalinx.co.uk

Thanks,

Dave

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Can you send me a screenshot of the Reg Keys and values or end me a copy of the RegFiles.

Email Address David.Payne@datalinx.co.uk

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Can you send me a screenshot of the Reg Keys and values or end me a copy of the RegFiles.

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Hi David,

I just entered the commands that Alexander posted directly in Powershell and then it was added to the registry.

If this would not work however, I will post a screenshot as soon as they verify my account.

Hope this helps you!

Kind Regards,
    Kevin

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Good news, Dave: 0x1 (hex of "1") is the same as decimal 1.

Friday, April 21, 2017 6:07 PM
  • thx it works

shame on microsoft to not maintaining their own services properly

i can work with trimble devices running windows mobile 6.5 on windows 10 again

MICROSOFT FIX IT!!!

Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:23 AM
  • This is perfect! Alexander's registry fix worked flawlessly. Thanks and kudos for sharing this with everyone!
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks

Dave

Open a command prompt as administrator, and put Alexander's registry lines in one at a time. After the first entry, hit Enter and you'll get a confirmation that the command was accepted. Do it one more time for the second entry. Then reboot. You won't see those lines in the actual registry, but it works. Also, to be safe: run Windows Mobile Device Center in compatibility mode for Vista.
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:21 PM
  • You folks just saved my bacon.

Shipping out for 14 day remote survey in AK, and field tablet updated last night and suddenly no connectivity between Trimble GPS and tablet. 

I didn't have to enter the code (yet), as everything appears to be functional again, but at least I can transfer data between tablet and GPS now. 

Thanks again, and ain't technology grand?

Cheers,

Jake

Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:23 AM
  • Thank You it worked Now we are back to work
    Monday, May 22, 2017 5:52 AM
  • I typed the command lines one at a time.  Once I clicked OK for each one, a message screen flashed so fast I cannot read whatever it said.  I rebooted the computer and tried to open WMDC....still hangs up on the greeg Start screen.  At restart I get an error message:

Microsoft.NET Framework

Unhandled exception has occurred in a componnent in your

application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error

and attempt to continue.

C:\Program Files (x86)

\HP\StatusAlerts\bin/...\resources\images\status_critical_32.png (I tried posting the message but new users apparently aren't allowed to post photos on this page)

When I click OK I get another partial screen with just an OK and Cancel option.  After clicking OK I try to start WMDC and it again freezes at the Start Screen

WMDC still hangs up at startup.  What am I doing wrong?

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:31 PM
  • Manually enable the required .NET Framework 3.5 under “Turn Windows features on or off” and/or by using the previous dotNetFx35setup.exe installer from Microsoft. Hope this helps. 

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:33 PM
  • Did as Alexander  mentioned and it seems to solve the problem- thanks Alexander

hope Microsoft will fix this issue!  its important for my company to use windows mobile center 

thanks!

Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:52 PM
  • Hello, i did this and also i copied the target files (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5) from a pc with windows 7 to my PC with the creators edition, after a restart it started working.
    Sunday, June 11, 2017 12:08 AM
  • You are the Guy. I´ve been tried to fix this problem during last four weeks. Thank you a lot. After made the changes in service Windows Mobile Device Center Started and worked fine. Thank you a lot. I´m posting your solution on HP forum Brasil, Ok? Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Even I have the same issue .If Microsoft wont fix this,mostly probably i will be moving to use mac
    • Edited by vandy ji Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:13 AM
  • "You won't see those lines in the actual registry" - yes you will, after you refresh the registry view, or after you reboot and check.
    Friday, July 7, 2017 4:25 AM
  • The fix works very well, but by making this fix I’ve another problem when copying shortcut files to the device, before it was prompted for copying files and some something like “do you want to do it anyway?” and now it just play an error sound an continues without copying these files, and no pop-up windows is appearing . Any Ideas?

See below picture. 

jom

• Edited by J.O.M Tuesday, July 11, 2017 7:59 AM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 3:28 PM
  • https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43394045/windows-mobile-device-center-stops-working-after-windows-10-1703-upgrade/43395822#43395822 has more information on how to do these things. Seems actually fairly easy and now its working perfectly.

I personally uninstalled windows mobile device center.

Enabled Compatibility with Vista, Ran it as admistrator

Went into services

Enabled Windows Mobile 2003 based device connectivity

If it complains it can't start and will auto close

Go to properties, then log on, Click Local System Account, and Allow service to interact with desktop.

Press OK

Start Service

Launch Windows Mobile Device Center.

Should work just fine now.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 7:32 PM
  • Hi,

I too have the same issue, did anyone know what is the workaround or fix for this?

Not able to copy shortcut files to device. WMDC works and connects fine with the device.

Seeth

Thursday, July 27, 2017 2:44 PM
  • I Enable AutoPlay then go into your services (local) and scroll down to Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity change the start to Automatic then in the log on tab change to local system account. Do the same to the Windows Mobile-based device connectivity. This work for me. Good luck
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ever find a fix for copying shortcut files via a WMDC connected device. This seems to have been broken after the latest update. 

Thanks.

Monday, August 7, 2017 9:21 PM
  • Not working for Windows 10 1703 OSBuild: 16251.0

Windows could not start the Windows Mobile-2003 based device connectivity service on Local Computer.

Error 1079: The Account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 5:32 AM
  • I manually renamed the file extension to .txt and copied over WMDC. This works without any issues. Once copied to the target device, you need to rename back to .lnk. 

Seeth

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 5:43 AM
  • Hi,

try to change an user account, which is used to start "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" Service (WcesComm). Originally the "Local Service" is used. After changing to "Local System" I could start this service and the Motorola device has started to connect to the pc.

The only problem is now - it connects only once. After disconnecting and connecting I have to restart "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" and "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity".

Looks like, the "Local Service" account's permissions  have been changed in the creator update and the WcessComm cannot create a semaphore (permission denied). 

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Could you please confirm that when you say this: "After disconnecting and connecting I have to restart "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" and "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity""- do you actually mean "After disconnecting and connecting I have to restart "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" (WcesComm) and "Windows Mobile-based device connectivity” (RapiMgr)."?

Regards,

PTpc

• Edited by PTpc Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:54 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks

Dave

Open a command prompt as administrator, and put Alexander's registry lines in one at a time. After the first entry, hit Enter and you'll get a confirmation that the command was accepted. Do it one more time for the second entry. Then reboot. You won't see those lines in the actual registry, but it works. Also, to be safe: run Windows Mobile Device Center in compatibility mode for Vista.

"You won't see those lines in the actual registry" - yes you will, after you refresh the registry view, or after you reboot and check.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Not working for Windows 10 1703 OSBuild: 16251.0

Windows could not start the Windows Mobile-2003 based device connectivity service on Local Computer.

Error 1079: The Account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.

The reason for the Error 1079 is that the related service also has to be logged on using the same account.  In other words, you have to make the log on changes to both “Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity” (WcesComm) and “Windows Mobile-based device connectivity” (RapiMgr).  Then you will be able to start both services.  Try starting the second one (RapiMgr) first after changing the log on account.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:18 AM
  • This fix worked for me as well. Thanks.
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Perfect! We use Motorola MS32N0 scanner guns (running some kinda crazy Windows version) to do our inventory receiving and inventory. They stopped connecting properly the same day that we got an automatic Windows update. Was sort of a disaster. I made the changes in Services, added the registry changes, then reset the PC. No more issues. You saved us, Alexander. Thanks!
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:14 PM
  • Thank you!!!!
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Thanks Alexander. What a fantastic tip. Got me out of trouble:-)
    Sunday, September 17, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Thank you Alexander. That worked. You are a legend!

Best Regards,

Lakshmi

Thursday, October 5, 2017 5:39 AM
  • I had the same problem with both win CE devices and win Mobile Embedded devices.  I know they are all CE based devices however they seem to be treated differently in this case.  While this worked for the CE devices I had to go further for the Embedded.

Seems the Firewall settings also changed so you have to change the allow apps thru firewall to allow Wireless portable devices thru.  Once I did this the embedded devices worked as well.

Friday, October 13, 2017 8:07 PM
  • Hi Alexander

Your suggestion was very good, but now we have yet another Windows version 1709. I have just made a fresh (clean) install of Windows 10 x64 version 1709 and it is a total disaster. It is impossible to even install WMDC. Installer displays some useless message and that is all.

Is there anybody who was able to at least install WMDC on Windows 1709?

Andrew

Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Hi Andrew!

I'm facing the same exact problema and opened a new thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/557e9694-0e45-409e-9bb9-8a7139eb2088/windows-mobile-device-center-wont-install-on-windows-10-fall-creators-update?forum=win10itproapps

Trying to install WMDC on a new machine gives the following error 'There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action MsiProcessDrivers, entry: ProcessDriverPackages'

Tried with Compatibility mode, but made no difference.

In Event Viewer I can see this crash:

Depósito con errores 120845966381, tipo 4
    Nombre de evento: APPCRASH
    Respuesta: No disponible
    Identificador de archivo CAB: 0
    Firma del problema:
    P1: MsiExec.exe
    P2: 5.0.16299.15
    P3: ba382a43
    P4: AcLayers.DLL
    P5: 10.0.16299.15
    P6: 7012be45
    P7: c00000fd
    P8: 000000000001e7e9

Did you managed to install it?

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Hi, 

This time it took more time, but still able to solve the problem. Look here. The solution needs Microsoft ORCA - i'm not sure, if I can publish the modified MSI file (MS still owns the copyrights :) )

Alex

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 6:06 PM
  • this fix worked for me.

thanks for sharing.

Regards, 

Manish

Saturday, January 13, 2018 2:55 PM
  • the restart will most likely be resolved by changing the service from automatic (delayed) to manual.
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:01 AM
  • This worked like a charm. Thank you for this.
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:48 PM
  • This may work for some but it is not something that I would ever suggest to my customers!!!

Bob N

Bob Nichols

Friday, February 9, 2018 12:35 AM
  • Did you ever get this fixed? I'm still having this issue, and I just did a fresh install.

WMDC is connecting just fine, but I can't copy any shortcuts.

My temporary workaround was to rename to .txt then copy over, and rename back to .lnk 

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:15 PM
  • excellent!!

Thanks

Monday, April 16, 2018 8:22 AM
  • I'm beating my head against the wall here... Trying to install WMDC on a newly imaged Windows 7 laptop. I have to support Windows Mobile 6.5 devices, and my new laptop won't let WMDC be installed.

After installing drvupdate-amd64.exe (12749kb), I only see the "Windows Mobile Device Center Driver Update" under Programs and Features. No "Windows Mobile Device Center".

Further, the service you mention above, WIndows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity is on my old laptop, but not my new laptop. Is there somewhere within "Windows Features" to enable that?

I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping you're still out there Alexander (or others!), and can shed some light.

Thanks,

Troy

Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:15 PM
  • you're a genius!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:30 AM
  • That worked like a charm!!

Thanks!!!

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have problem with wmdc, i try to fix it but services Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity are not in my win10 pro 1803. I reinstall wmdc and install net. 3.5 and add via regedit

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RapiMgr /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WcesComm /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

but wdmc nothig.

Then I download small apl from

https://support.waspbarcode.com/kb/articles/windows-10-fix-summary-for-windows-mobile-device-center-issues-win10fix

and wdmc running, but i can not conect to my motorola mc 70.

Help please

Kind Regards,
    Paul

Friday, July 27, 2018 8:41 AM