OWA error message: 'gtLV' is null or not an object

Question

• I am running Exchange 2007 SP1 RU7 on Server 2008 SP1 .  ISA 2006 protecting the CAS servers.

Every once in a while, I get a weird popup message in OWA.  It repeats until I close the brower.

Does anyone know what this means?

Client Information
    ------------------
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2)
    CPU Class: x86
    Platform: Win32
    System Language: en-us
    User Language: en-us
    CookieEnabled: true
    Mime Types:

Exception Details
    -----------------
    Date: Thu Oct 1 19:52:27 EDT 2009
    Url: https://email.med.harvard.edu/OWA/8.1.359.3/scripts/premium/clistview.js
    Line: 39

Call Stack
    ----------
    onFcsInLV()

Dump Event
    ----------
     recordset = null
     type = error
     fromElement = null
     toElement = null
     altLeft = false
     keyCode = 0
     repeat = false
     reason = 0
     data =
     behaviorCookie = 0
     source = null
     contentOverflow = false
     behaviorPart = 0
     url =
     dataTransfer = null
     ctrlKey = false
     shiftLeft = false
     dataFld =
     returnValue = undefined
     qualifier =
     wheelDelta = 0
     bookmarks = null
     button = 0
     srcFilter = null
     nextPage =
     cancelBubble = false
     x = 0
     y = 0
     srcElement = null
     screenX = 558
     screenY = 219
     srcUrn =
     origin =
     boundElements = [object]
     clientX = 246
     clientY = 36
     propertyName =
     shiftKey = false
     ctrlLeft = false
     offsetX = 0
     offsetY = 0
     altKey = false
     errorMessage = 'gtLV' is null or not an object
     errorUrl = https://email.med.harvard.edu/OWA/8.1.359.3/scripts/premium/clistview.js
     errorLine = 39
     errorCharacter = 22
     errorCode = 0

Friday, October 2, 2009 7:10 PM

All replies

• Does this happens to only non IE clients?? What about IE clients?

also Exchange 2007 sp2 is now available you can even try applying the same and monitor.
    Vinod |CCNA|MCSE 2003 +Messaging|MCTS|ITIL V3|
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Thanks, this happened while I was using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista.

It may be a few months before my organization can implement Service Pack 2, we have a long testing path.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

Whether all the clients had this issue? Did you try this issue on other matchines?

Thanks

Allen
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:16 AM
  • The problem goes away when the browser is closed then reopened.  It doesn't always happen from the same machine nor the same mailbox nor the same message.   If I look at the message from another machine, it is fine; but that machine may have another problem with another message.

It is quite infrequent; only a few instances reported with 1000s of OWA users.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Now please try to delete and recreate the relevant OWA virtual directory to troubleshoot this issue based on the below link:
    http://exchange-server-support.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-recreate-owa-virtual-directory.html#

Thanks

Allen
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

We're seeing the exact same error reported on our servers, which are Exchange 2007 SP2, on Win2k3 SP2.  The clients have been XP-SP3 w/ IE8.  The text of the error is identical to what is posted above.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this, and if recreating the OWA virtual directory was confirmed to correct it?

thanks,

-Aaron
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Has anybody found an answer to this? we are starting to get this now 

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Same here, exact same behaviour. Exchange 2007SP2 Clients XPSP3 IE8. Quite infrequently - so I have taken
    no steps to resolve this.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

My frequency is increased.. still nothing?

rgds
    Sven
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:25 AM
  • I've had one user report it a couple of times now. It isn't all the time for the user, it seems to come and go.

IE 8.0
    XP 32-bit SP3
    Exchange 2007 SP2 running on Server 2008 SP2
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration
    LMNOP
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:34 PM
  • I've had one user report it a couple of times now. It isn't all the time for the user, it seems to come and go.

IE 8.0
    XP 32-bit SP3
    Exchange 2007 SP2 running on Server 2008 SP2
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    LMNOP

Same here, I can see this happening from time to time, but I can not reproduce this.

rgds
    Sven
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:15 AM
  • Add me to the list. Exchange 2007, Windows 2003. Client is Windows XP SP3 with IE8 and all patches. We can't reproduce it and have one user that uses OWA exclusively, so of course he's the one that's getting the error.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:49 AM
  • This happens regularly to one of our users OWA, IE, Vista,  Exchange2007.  New Exchange service with minimal users right now.  Potentially 4000 users.  Will this be looked into by Microsoft?

Monday, January 4, 2010 8:36 PM
  • I heard that Java update might help to this.
    Has anyone tried?
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) for us the only user (out of 35,000) that reported it no longer works here. I asked him at the time if Java was up to date on that machine. He said yes, but I don't know if I trust the answer.
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    LMNOP
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:57 PM
  • I have updated java and uninstalled all previous versions on both the PC and the Server. It did not fix the problem.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:33 PM
  • I am experiencing this on Windows 7 with IE8 and on XP with IE8. Exchange updates have'nt helped. It only seems to happen when you reply to a message.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:22 PM
  • I encountered this same error this morning using WinXPsp3 IE8 Exch2k7 OWA.  Tracing the clistview.js, line 39 is calling gtLV(event.srcElement) and attempting to set the .fFcs property to 1.  The problem appears to be that gtLV() is not returning a valid object.  The definition of gtLV() is while(o){if(o.lstvw)return o;o=o.parentElement;} meaning if the lstvw property of o evaluates to true return o otherwise set o to the parentElement of o.  If gtLV() loops through all the parent elements and doesn't find one where the lstvw property evaluates to true it doesn't return a valid object to the onFcsInLV() function on line 39.  It's not recommended to modify Exchange OWA files but changing line 39 to the following should prevent the Javascript error.

Original: function onFcsInLV(){gtLV(event.srcElement).fFcs=1;}
    Modified: function onFcsInLV(){if(gtLV(event.srcElement))gtLV(event.srcElement).fFcs=1;}

This adds a check that only attempts to set fFcs to 1 if gtLV(event.srcElement) is valid.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:49 PM
  • We're having the same problem, on a smaller site with 8-10 users, SBS 2008 with the latest patches. The browser used doesn't seem to matter.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:04 PM
  • We too are having this issue.  Just 2 people out of about 500.  Workstations are XP sp3 with IE 8.  Ex 2007 sp1 running on 2003
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Any ideas on this issue? All of my workstations that get this error are XP sp3 with IE 8. Exchange 2007 SP2 running 2008 standard.
    • Proposed as answer by marc998 Friday, February 26, 2010 5:42 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I hit the wrong button.

I've seen something like this before and it had to do with the signature in OWA that the user was using.  Log into OWA light, and delete the signature and see if that helps things.   It did not look like anyone had tried that.
    • Proposed as answer by marc998 Friday, February 26, 2010 10:54 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:43 PM
  • I am seeing this with one client out of about 150. The client does not have a signature configured.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:19 PM
  • We are experience the same issue. has anyone tried anonymous10765's idea which I've pasted here?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"encountered this same error this morning using WinXPsp3 IE8 Exch2k7 OWA.  Tracing the clistview.js, line 39 is calling gtLV(event.srcElement) and attempting to set the .fFcs property to 1.  The problem appears to be that gtLV() is not returning a valid object.  The definition of gtLV() is while(o){if(o.lstvw)return o;o=o.parentElement;} meaning if the lstvw property of o evaluates to true return o otherwise set o to the parentElement of o.  If gtLV() loops through all the parent elements and doesn't find one where the lstvw property evaluates to true it doesn't return a valid object to the onFcsInLV() function on line 39.  It's not recommended to modify Exchange OWA files but changing line 39 to the following should prevent the Javascript error.

Original: function onFcsInLV(){gtLV(event.srcElement).fFcs=1;}
    Modified: function onFcsInLV(){if(gtLV(event.srcElement))gtLV(event.srcElement).fFcs=1;}

This adds a check that only attempts to set fFcs to 1 if gtLV(event.srcElement) is valid."
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:04 PM
  • From what I can tell, clistview.js comes down when connecting to OWA. Would clistview.js need to be modified at the exchange host?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:24 PM
  • We have just had this error reported by a lot of users.

It turned out the problem was the Exchange Mail Submission Service was not running. We restarted that, did an IIS reset on the OWA box and everything started working again...

Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:50 AM
  • The issue occurs sporadically in our organization. Solution/workaround: delete Temporary Internet Files from within IE.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:01 AM
  • I'm getting this too on two different windows7 machine, ie8.

The interesting thing is this occurs on the Exchange Online (BPOS) so it's not like I can change files on the server ;-)

It only seems to occur when I reply to an email - the annoying thing is that at the moment the only email in my inbox is from the Microsoft support guys (on another issue) that I can't reply to /ironic

Friday, June 18, 2010 2:13 AM
  • Hello! I got to this forum while looking for an answer to this issue, too bad it looks like it's been going on for months and no fix yet :(

I just got a user with an XP-SP3 system using IE8, complained about this exact problem, 'gtLV' is null or not an object.

Told the user to update to JDK 6 Update 20 and also to delete all temp files, cookies, etc. Will post back if that solves it.

Anybody has a better idea as to how to proceed with this issue? Thanks for all your help.

Gerry.

Friday, July 2, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Sorry guys - thought I had posted the answer here. I also thought I had blogged it on my website but I guess I didn't.

This simple fix worked for me thanks to online support.

1. type regedit on command prompt or run
    2. go to: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    3. create TabProcGrowth (string or dword) and set the value to 0

• Proposed as answer by helsby Friday, July 2, 2010 8:48 PM
    Friday, July 2, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I'm not sure, but I think deleting temporary internet files fixed it for us. I had already upgraded to the newest java, u19 at the time, and that didn't help.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Sorry guys - thought I had posted the answer here. I also thought I had blogged it on my website but I guess I didn't.

This simple fix worked for me thanks to online support.

1. type regedit on command prompt or run
    2. go to: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    3. create TabProcGrowth (string or dword) and set the value to 0

sorry, that didn't help.

I still get error msg when REPLYing to an eMail via OWA.

Admin Student
    Monday, August 1, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Are you getting the exact same error message? Also I'm assuming you've closed and reopened the browser. Also check that the setting has not been overwritten by a group policy and changed back. I think this is a setting that can be set in GP somewhere.
    http://absoblogginlutely.net
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:47 AM
  • you guys, this may or may not help but at this point, I have to share my experience.

I GOT IT!

hi everyone, my name is Chris. Im a technician in Mayville Michigan. I was recently plagued with the same problem and low and behold, I found a fix yesterday. OMG this was so frustrating having some users get the errors when trying to send or add an attachment.

I was able to run a script on the client computers that re-registers all of the DLL's for IE. It has been tested and works for Windows 7 and IE 8. I have not tried IE9 but I imagine if it does not work then IE 9 could be rolled back to 8 by removing the windows update from add remove programs then IE8 could be fixed with this, then upgraded to IE9 after the fix.

Here is my page explaining the problem and the fix. If your happy, please donate on my link within the page for paypal. I know for sure it pulled a lot of stress off my shoulders to get this one knocked out.

http://www.svnsvs.com/fixs

-Chris L.

Seven Services, Mayville Computers

Thursday, August 4, 2011 1:15 PM
  • well the first "NULL" msg was solved, yes

but

another msg is now popping up which states "indicator/attribute illegimate" (translated)

The reg-key is not disturbed by GPO, infact I had to create it.

Client Information
    ------------------
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; MAAU; .NET4.0C)
    CPU Class: x86
    Platform: Win32
    System Language: de
    User Language: de
    CookieEnabled: true
    Mime Types:

Exception Details
    -----------------
    Date: Mon Aug 1 16:08:58 UTC+0200 2011
    Url:
    https://portal......removed
    Line: 1

Call Stack
    ----------

Dump Event
    ----------
     recordset = null
     type = error
     fromElement = null
     toElement = null
     altLeft = false
     keyCode = 0
     repeat = false
     reason = 0
     data =
     behaviorCookie = 0
     source = null
     contentOverflow = false
     behaviorPart = 0
     url =
     dataTransfer = null
     ctrlKey = false
     shiftLeft = false
     dataFld =
     returnValue = undefined
     qualifier =
     wheelDelta = 0
     bookmarks = null
     actionURL =
     button = 0
     srcFilter = null
     nextPage =
     cancelBubble = false
     x = 0
     y = 0
     buttonID = 0
     srcElement = null
     screenX = 433
     screenY = 236
     srcUrn =
     origin =
     boundElements = [object]
     clientX = 350
     clientY = 21
     propertyName =
     shiftKey = false
     ctrlLeft = false
     offsetX = 0
     offsetY = 0
     altKey = false
     errorMessage = Das Kennzeichen ist unzulässig.

errorUrl = https://portal......removed
     errorLine = 1
     errorCharacter = 1
     errorCode = 0

Frailty, thy name is Microsoft
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:01 PM
  • didnt help

Frailty, thy name is Microsoft
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:18 PM