none
Microsoft System Center Vs DocAve vs Kroll RRS feed

• Question

• In our SP2013 environment we have a tool called Kroll for Granular level file recovery. The licensing and support for the tool is about to end. We are trying to move away from this tool and either go with Microsoft System Center or Docave platform. Which would be a better option considering We migrated more than a terabyte of content from Fileshare to Sharepoint and have few departments which want to restore files sometimes more than an year. We are also a very cost conscious company so keeping it in mind and in long term considering we mostly use the tool to restore some files etc..which would be a better option?  Do you know pricing for both these tools and features for both?. Can you let me know for any suggestions.

Thanks again

Friday, June 30, 2017 4:08 PM

Answers

• It seems like the unnattached database restore method would suit your needs:

• It's free
    • Simple to use
    • Reasonably granular.

I would suggest testing it out a few times - maybe using old requests, ones you've already resolved using Kroll, and then taking note of the differences.  The article link I provided above will be a good starting point, and there's plenty more postings to read up on this.  Test it to find out, and then please report your observations back here in this posting, as it will be useful experience to share with other admins who are faced with similar challenges.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Naveen, 

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Excel, your concern is more related to Microsoft System Center, Docave platform or Kroll. 

And for this issue, I suggest you creating a new thread in corresponding  forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 3, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Hi Lisa

This forum is for Sharepoint 2013 administration. I asked a question regarding whether microsoft system center will suit my needs for sharepoint farm administration. Please let me know.

Thank you

Monday, July 3, 2017 2:37 PM
  • I've used both.  Determining what's best depends largely on farm sizes. System Center should be deployed as a part of a comprehensive sys admin solution, not as a solution for individual SharePoint-related needs; otherwise you are spending much more than you need to.  DocAve SharePoint Admin works fine, but may be overkill.  You can recover files just fine using unattached recovery.  See Restore content from unattached content databases in SharePoint 2013 for details.  Using existing SharePoint tools that come with SharePoint worked just fine in my small-to-mid farm situations and saved my customer thousands.  You just need to read up on Central Admin and SharePoint PowerShell procedures a bit.  

Can you let us know some general details about your situation?  Number of servers, content sizes, number of files, backup solutions already implemented?  This will help us provide better recommendations.

Monday, July 3, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Hi Stephan

Thanks much for your response. We have about four servers in our farm. 2 WFE, 1 APP and 1 Database server. We have about 200 site collections which can amount to atleast 500 to 600GB. We use KROLL for our current backup and recovery. But it takes long time to recover the file. We want to get rid of it and use System center. Primary reason is for fileshare users who recently migrated to sharepoint and want to recover files sometimes more than an year old. Please let me know.

Thank you

Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:01 PM
  • What's the size of your largest database?  How often do users request file recovery? 20/day?  5/Week?  5/Month?  And how many files at a time do they request?
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:48 PM
  • Hi Stephan

The largest database size is about 60GB. User requests come like two to three/month. Users sometimes request for complete folders or even directories to be restored which can be upto few GB.  Please let me know.

Thanks again

Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:14 PM
  • It seems like the unnattached database restore method would suit your needs:

• It's free
    • Simple to use
    • Reasonably granular.

I would suggest testing it out a few times - maybe using old requests, ones you've already resolved using Kroll, and then taking note of the differences.  The article link I provided above will be a good starting point, and there's plenty more postings to read up on this.  Test it to find out, and then please report your observations back here in this posting, as it will be useful experience to share with other admins who are faced with similar challenges.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:57 PM