Exchange 2010 - Increasing message retension size from default to 90 days Get-TransportService command fails RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2010 server updated with all latest patches

In Exchange Shell

I try using the command: Get-TransportService

shell returns:

The term 'Get-TransportService' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:21

+ Get-TransportService <<<<

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-TransportService:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I used to be able to run this command.

I wanted to increase message retension size from 30 days to 90 days.

Using the command:

Set-TransportService SV-Exchange01 -MessageTrackingLogPath "D:\Message Tracking Log" -MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize 90MB -MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize

8GB -MessageTrackingLogMaxAge 90.00:00:00

Monday, May 1, 2017 2:00 PM

All replies

• If you look at the cmdlet documentation, you'll see that the Get-TransportService cmdlet is applicable to Exchange 2013 and 2016 only.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj215746(v=exchg.160).aspx

The equivalent for Exchange 2010 is Get-TransportServer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125246(v=exchg.141).aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, May 1, 2017 10:07 PM
  • Hi David,

Ed is right. 

TransportSerice cmdlet only applies to Exchange 2013 and later; instead, TransportServer is applicable to all three Exchange version(2010/2013/2016), but if you run transportserver cmdlet in Exchange 2013 or 2016, you will get a waring message, which shows that the transportserver cmdlet will be removed and let you use transportService cmdlet instead, as below:

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:55 AM