none
outlook local data vs server data RRS feed

• Question

• my outlook the local data is much larger than than the server data.

local data is about 700MB, server data is about 470MB.

i have check the exchange server, via gui of command line. both show the data size close to 470MB.

the problem started from a recent email deletion from outlook. 

i have  re-create the outlook profile, it doesn't help.

looks to me this is the exchange error.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:38 AM

Answers

• When Outlook is running in Cached mode, it will store copy the mailbox in the locally stored OST file, for offline access. Sometimes, deleting / moving emails doesn't get sync'd with the server. So, your local data will look bigger than the server data.

However, there is a way to compat the local data, have a look at the link...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289987/en-gb

Also, find all OST files in the user's profile and delete it, then create a new Outlook profile. It is possible an old OST is being used even after recreating the Profile.

• Edited by ShEiQh Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

I'd like summay the reason why the e-mail messages that are stored in an Offline Folder file are larger than the e-mail messages that are stored on an Exchange server.

1. Data on the server has compression whereas data on local OST does not have.
    2. Also the data on server is "single instance storage", which mean duplicate mails will be a single copy on server. However, "single instance storage" does not apply to local OST.
    3. And local storage may contain more rules or views, which is another reason that local size is larger than server size.
    4. When users open shared Calendar, the data will be stored in OST instead of mailbox on server.

5. Any sync issues in the sync issues folder are local to the OST and are not on the server, as are those in conflicts/local failures.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817957

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:45 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:35 AM

All replies

• When Outlook is running in Cached mode, it will store copy the mailbox in the locally stored OST file, for offline access. Sometimes, deleting / moving emails doesn't get sync'd with the server. So, your local data will look bigger than the server data.

However, there is a way to compat the local data, have a look at the link...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289987/en-gb

Also, find all OST files in the user's profile and delete it, then create a new Outlook profile. It is possible an old OST is being used even after recreating the Profile.

• Edited by ShEiQh Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Hi Sheiqh,

i have try the compact before, but it doesn't work.

i have even create an new outlook profile on a different machine, it is the same.

So therefore it should not be related to outlook.

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Hi Tommy,

Seems that Outlook is currently runing in Exchange Cache mode. As Sheiqh said,  there is not only Email items stored in local data file, but also share folders, cached public folders, local rules and etc..

Pleaes go to File > Info > Account Settings > Change your Exchange account > More Setting... > Advanced and uncleck the option "Download shared folders" and "Download Public Folder Favorites" has been checked.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Unmarked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:46 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Hi Tony Chen,

I have done that, but it isn't working.

also, i notice the size different is at folder level, folder such as inbox, send item,

these folder have a big different.

local data - inbox is 530MB, send items is 143MB

server data - invox is 340MB, send items is 100MB.

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:42 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

I'd like summay the reason why the e-mail messages that are stored in an Offline Folder file are larger than the e-mail messages that are stored on an Exchange server.

1. Data on the server has compression whereas data on local OST does not have.
    2. Also the data on server is "single instance storage", which mean duplicate mails will be a single copy on server. However, "single instance storage" does not apply to local OST.
    3. And local storage may contain more rules or views, which is another reason that local size is larger than server size.
    4. When users open shared Calendar, the data will be stored in OST instead of mailbox on server.

5. Any sync issues in the sync issues folder are local to the OST and are not on the server, as are those in conflicts/local failures.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817957

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:45 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi Tony,

thanks for your help.

This is the test i have done, to prove the issue due to compression.

copy email from the email in the folder send items to a pst file, check both Server and Local copy is zero.

later i copy them back to Mailbox-OST.

once it is the folder is sync back, i again check the folder size, server and  local copy.

Confirm the size between the 2 has a great different, local copy is much larger that server copy.

I believe my case is due to item 1 to 3, you mention previously.

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:47 AM
  • my case is different... my Server data is actually bigger than local data..

im puzzled as there is no button to sync these 2 folders

Thursday, May 8, 2014 3:16 PM
  • my case is different... my Server data is actually bigger than local data..

im puzzled as there is no button to sync these 2 folders

Me 2
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 5:42 PM