none
Clients very slow after file migration from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We recently migrated off of 3 2008 R2 servers to Windows 2012 R2. These servers have different names and IPs. Since the migration there have been many complaints from Windows 10 clients that file explorer is very slow, when trying to open Excel files, make any changes or save it takes a long time with the cursor just spinning. 

Our users are using roaming profiles.

I was able to see on one workstation in File Explorer that under the "Recent Items" were still pointing to the old servers.

I found some information regarding shortcuts in Quick Access and the file that contains these under the users profile, which will correct some of the slowness but am not sure where else to look.

It looks like there are multiple factors causing these slow downs. Does anyone know where else there could be pointers to the old servers? 

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:11 PM

All replies

• Need more info.  Did you migrate just File Servers?  So you have mapped drives to the new servers?  Are you using DNS to CNAME to the new servers?  How are the drives mapped, logon script?  AD?

You could try clear the Quick Access history on one client. Explorer --> View --> Options --> and hit "Clear" on the General tab.  That should erase all recent history, could help if Explorer is remembering the old path to the file.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the steps below:

Open Folder Options > Set "Open File Explorer" to "This PC". Try Win + E now. If it opens fine, then problem is with Quick access cache, which can be cleared by deleting *.automaticDestinations-ms from the following directory, using Command Prompt.

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

Hope it could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 25, 2019 6:17 PM
  • Thanks to you all for responding. I apologize for not replying earlier but it's been very chaotic.

Kevin - we did just migrate fie servers but we moved some of the shares to different servers (these used to reside on the same server) so we're unable to create an alias using the old file servers name. 

David - I did create a group policy to delete the file specific for the Quick Access cache which I'm starting to test. I noticed quite a bit of other .ms files in there - are these all cache files for various applications? The drives are mapped via an application named "Desktop Authority".

Does anyone know what the parameters are for when a new "recent item" shortcut is created (how many times to access a folder/file before a shortcut is automatically created?)? And do these get removed after a certain amount of time of not accessing these shortcuts?

I also looked at our Folder Redirection GPO which was set to redirect Documents to "User's Home Directory". We did migrate the home directories to a new file server and updated the Home Folder path in AD which worked just fine as far as mapping. But since there was no change in the GPO I suspect that it did not "trigger" any changes on the workstations. So I've created a new folder redirection policy to test:

Documents = Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location. Target Location = Redirect to the following location: \\ourserver\users$\%USERNAME%

I'm hoping that even though it will point to the same location this will trigger the GPO to apply the new path which hopefully will clear up some of these issues. I found a user where the Documents folder was not listed in File Explorer and when saving a Word document the default location was in Windows\System32\....

I'll keep you all posted and appreciate the feedback.

John

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:46 PM
  • may seem rough, but have you tried taking a user with this problem and delete that user's whole profile, recreate new from scratch, maybe even on a new machine also. Just copy over Documents, do everything else by hand.  If the user's problem is solved then at least you know you're on the right track, something cached in the profile.  If it doesn't fix, then it's something else, maybe DNS issues?

I like Wireshark to capture traffic on the client and see what is happening on the packet level. You want the capture filter to be "host 192.168.10.10" - whatever the IP of you file server is.  Then recreate the problem.  You can see what's taking a long time if there's an error or a lot of retransmissions.

Microsoft Process Monitor is OS level, that captures a lot of data and you'd have to filter after to maybe the explorer only and see what it taking so long.  It's a lot of data - more than the packet capture but the answer will definitely be in there.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:30 PM