none
Sharepoint Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi evreyone,

I am trying to configure a application server running MOSS2007 to connect to an existing server farm.  Everytime i go through the configuration wizard, the configuration database is located, but the account automatically defaults to NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE.  I change this account to a domain account which has access to the database as wipro\jaypumy, but it returns the following error:

"The username entered must be the same as the database access account for the server famr you wish to join.  Either choose NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE as the username or choose a different database name."

Presently NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE is not in use. We are using wipro as the domain common to SQL server and Sharepoint.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:34 AM

Answers

• That doesn't make sense to me.  I think you have a major situation on your hands, and you need to have that entire system re-architected.  How can SharePoint be built on a domain and then the domain just goes away?  That system needs to be re-architected holistically instead of you just trying to force your way into the config db with some other account.  I wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole the way it is, but that's just my opinion.  Others may have better advice for you...

We have already said it multiple times.  You CANNOT connect with another account.  You _have_ to use the farm account, which is also called the database access account.  This was the account used to CREATE SharePoint in the first place.  Adding another server to the farm is the least of your worries.  You need to first shore up the existing farm and ensure it is working properly and that you know all of the service accounts used to create it. 

You can then go through the process given to you above for changing the Central Administration app pool.  You said that didn't work, but you didn't say why.

SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:34 AM
  • Instead of using an image you got (I believe its VM image) from somebody, can you not just get a full back-up of the MOSS farm. Then restore this on your server farm using stsadm or Central Administration. This way you will be sure that you are using your own domain and while you restore you should be able to specify the new settings.

Once the bakcup is restore you can add more servers to your farm without any problem.

Let me know if it helps.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Jayasellan,

see this technet article for backup and restore. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262412.aspx. Onething to mention is that you need to install MOSS on your development server and then restore a backup on that.

NZKPROT,

I know it can be a lengthy procedure but this way it will be assured that you are looking at the correct domain, correct connection.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:57 PM

All replies

• I guess when creating the config Db you may have provided network service as the system account. Run the steps in the KB934838 & update the farm credentials.

HK
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I tried changing the farm credietials...But no luck. Now at present there is no domain like NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. I want  to connect to the farm with new domain and user name which has admin access with database.

Kindly advice...
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:26 AM
  • It can't be any account with access.  It has to be the _one_ account that was used as the database access account when initially configuring SharePoint during the install. You have to use that account or change that account to something else before adding this new server.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

Can u please guide me in changing the initially configured account to the new account.....

Regards,
    Jayaseelan
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:05 AM
  • You should not be changing it - it was set to that account for a good reason, I hope.  You would not change the entire farm just to add one server unless this entire architecture was built improperly.  Why do you want to change the primary farm account?
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Let me explain my current problem......

One machine contians SQL Server. another machine contains MOSS. Now we want to connect to the existing config database in the sharepoint configuration. The actual domain which was in pplace during configuaration is not  in use now. since two machines are to be in the same domain, we changed the domain to xxxx and created a user 'xx' common to both machines. So we log in through this user name in both the machines.

Now we are trying to connect via this domain\username. But this is giving the error

"The username entered must be the same as the database access account for the server famr you wish to join.  Either choose previousDoaminName\PreviousUserName as the username or choose a different database name."

How can we connect to the same config database with the different domain\username ??

Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:17 AM
  • That doesn't make sense to me.  I think you have a major situation on your hands, and you need to have that entire system re-architected.  How can SharePoint be built on a domain and then the domain just goes away?  That system needs to be re-architected holistically instead of you just trying to force your way into the config db with some other account.  I wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole the way it is, but that's just my opinion.  Others may have better advice for you...

We have already said it multiple times.  You CANNOT connect with another account.  You _have_ to use the farm account, which is also called the database access account.  This was the account used to CREATE SharePoint in the first place.  Adding another server to the farm is the least of your worries.  You need to first shore up the existing farm and ensure it is working properly and that you know all of the service accounts used to create it. 

You can then go through the process given to you above for changing the Central Administration app pool.  You said that didn't work, but you didn't say why.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

Now I understood that we can not log in through another database account for the exisitng Sharepoint_Config Database.

How can SharePoint be built on a domain and then the domain just goes away? 

- Actually we got this sharepoint server image from the client and we are trying to set up that in our machine. Thats why we do not have access to their domain.

Please tell me is this possible. Creating a new farm and try to get the site collections from the previous original farm. Is there any kind of migrating Config info from the previous farm to the new farm and and map the content databases correctly.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:51 AM
  • One theory which I suspect is they may have installed sharepoint the first time using the "basic" option. This will use the "Network service" account for everything. Then scrap that install & move the DB's. Now when they want to add a new server it asks for "network service".

Jayaseelan

Migrating to a new farm is a good option though its a pain.

HK
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Instead of using an image you got (I believe its VM image) from somebody, can you not just get a full back-up of the MOSS farm. Then restore this on your server farm using stsadm or Central Administration. This way you will be sure that you are using your own domain and while you restore you should be able to specify the new settings.

Once the bakcup is restore you can add more servers to your farm without any problem.

Let me know if it helps.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:22 AM
  • May be not a good way  ....... Are you able go to logins added via the SQL sever management studio? Try adding the new logins there and see whether it helps in any way?

Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

Please guide me on taking farm back up in staging server and restoring it on our development server. Where can i get the physical location of the back up so that I can copy. How to restore that on my development server.

Regards,
    Jayaseelan
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Jayasellan,

see this technet article for backup and restore. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262412.aspx. Onething to mention is that you need to install MOSS on your development server and then restore a backup on that.

NZKPROT,

I know it can be a lengthy procedure but this way it will be assured that you are looking at the correct domain, correct connection.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

Now I understood that we can not log in through another database account for the exisitng Sharepoint_Config Database.

How can SharePoint be built on a domain and then the domain just goes away? 

- Actually we got this sharepoint server image from the client and we are trying to set up that in our machine. Thats why we do not have access to their domain.

Please tell me is this possible. Creating a new farm and try to get the site collections from the previous original farm. Is there any kind of migrating Config info from the previous farm to the new farm and and map the content databases correctly.

Wow, no wonder, you should have said this in the very first post.  This is NOT how you mimic a SharePoint environment.  You can't just image a SharePoint server - that is not how it works.  You need to architect the entire thing just like the other one and then do a proper migration as Kabad has mentioned.  I'm a bit in awe that this is being done in such a manner without a true SharePoint expert managing it.  SharePoint is not a toy or a little piece of software - it's a full-fledged Enterprise application that needs to be treated as such.  Just my opinion...
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:30 PM