none
Navigation with three tier RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am investigating the possibility of moving our current intranet to SharePoint. Our current intranet home page navigation menu uses html/css and is a three-tier vertical menu. If I am going to use SharePoint, I would want that either on the Quick Launch of the home page or the top horizontal menu. The issue is I can't get the third-tier to work. It's easy to create a heading and then a link below that. But, I've done a ton of searching and can't find how to get a third tier to work. I should mention an example structure would look like this:

IT Support (tier 1)

Log a Ticket (tier 2)

Search Engines (tier 2)

Google (tier 3)

Yahoo (tier 3)

I have tried modifying the default.master and changing the staticdisplaylevels and maximumdynamicdisplaylevels properties. But, I can't get it to show past the second tier. I suppose the other problem is some of the items in the menu wouldn't be pages or subpages, but links to external sites, etc. I don't want to have to build subsites for things like the Search Engines item when they aren't really pages at all.

Do any of you have any advice or solutions? I'm trying to avoid anything with cost or major customization. If a simple solution isn't there I would probably just abandon moving the intranet to sharepoint and continue with my HTML/ ASP.NET intranet.

Friday, June 17, 2011 1:19 PM

Answers

•  

I am afraid you can not do that with MOSS.

I ran in to same thing in past and had to give up.

The only way it will go beyong three tier is if you have MOSS site structure. e.g.

Site

--- Sub Site 1

-- 2nd Level Sub Site 1

-- 3rd Level Sub Site 1

-- 4th Level Sub Site

--- Sub Site 2

-- 2nd Level Sub Site 2

and so on.. but you can not get this for headings/links. You have to write your own custom sitemap data source or have to do other customization.

SharePoint Developer
    • Marked as answer by Jason_222 Friday, June 17, 2011 3:30 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

•  

I am afraid you can not do that with MOSS.

I ran in to same thing in past and had to give up.

The only way it will go beyong three tier is if you have MOSS site structure. e.g.

Site

--- Sub Site 1

-- 2nd Level Sub Site 1

-- 3rd Level Sub Site 1

-- 4th Level Sub Site

--- Sub Site 2

-- 2nd Level Sub Site 2

and so on.. but you can not get this for headings/links. You have to write your own custom sitemap data source or have to do other customization.

SharePoint Developer
    • Marked as answer by Jason_222 Friday, June 17, 2011 3:30 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Thanks -- I've search for hours on the internet to see if there was a way to do this. Glad to know I have company

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:30 PM
  •  

Here is the link of my original post, perhaps it may help you.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointdevelopment/thread/46f8d633-3edd-4eba-92a5-1025feb6a71a

SharePoint Developer
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:37 PM