none
Office 365 Excel Workbooks Not Opening RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

It is an ongoing issue since I downloaded Office 365 that sometimes when I download a new report to Excel, if I already have other Workbooks open, it won't open. It shows up as a workbook that is open at the bottom of my screen but when I mouse over it, it is blank and when I click on it nothing opens. I then have to close every other workbook I have open, including that one and re-download it. This does not happen when I hope workbooks I already have saved. It only happens intermittently when I download a new spreadsheet. Probably 30-50% of the time.

Is this a known issue and is there a fix for it? It's very frustrating since I am often working in several workbooks at once.

Thank you!

Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, this issue may be due to the Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) setting. Please try to turn off the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)“ setting. Go to File>Option>Advance>General

Then, we also can try the below method:

• Open regedit.exe 
    • Browse to  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open 
    • Rename the ddeexec key
    • Then click on the "command" key and replace the /dde on the Default and command string in that key with "%1"
    • Same steps with: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\Open\command  
    • Example : (Default) REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE" "%1" 
      command REG_MULTI_SZ vUpAVX!!!!!!!!!MKKSkEXCELFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@II=l2xaTO5 "%1"

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:17 AM