Lync 2013 Conversation History not taken from History Spooler by Outlook 2013 when bigger than 1 MB. RRS feed

• Question

• The title says most of it. I appear that Outlook is not taking conversation history from the History Spooler folder (.hist) when they are bigger then 1 MB which, if you don't close the conversation, is fairly easy to reach. 

We are using Lync 2013 and Outlook 2013 with on-premise Exchange 2013. 

I cannot see any Error anywhere in the logs including; Lync Logs, Event Viewer, Exchange Logs.

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We received a reply from Microsoft and we used the following workaround :

Edit web.config file on Exchange installation directory, client access, EWS and add this line : <add key="XmlMaxBytesPerRead" value="1000000" />

It "solves" the issue.

Cheers, Fabien 

Fabien Gaille

• Proposed as answer by drw112 Monday, April 17, 2017 2:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by mturgeon Monday, April 17, 2017 5:55 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 2:22 PM
  • This issue got fixed 

Large conversations in Lync 2013 (Skype for Business) are lost in the Conversation History folder in Outlook

This issue occurs when the conversations contents are larger than 1 megabyte (MB) in Microsoft Lync 2013 (Microsoft Skype for Business). When this issue occurs, history conversations aren't saved or uploaded to your Outlook Conversation History folder.
    Cause
    This issue occurs because the size limit of a history conversation file is 1 MB. When the limit is reached, Lync 2013 (Skype for Business) can't upload the conversion to Microsoft Exchange Server.
    Resolution

To fix this issue, install the November 10, 2015 security update (KB3101496) for Lync 2013 (Skype for Business).

Note Lync 2013 was upgraded to Skype for Business in April 2015.

see the following link for more information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3085629

this is the latest update for Lync 2013 clients "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115033".

hope this helps.

Regards, Rajukb | MCSE (Communication ), MCSA (o365) ,Certified "Lync server 2013 depth support engineer"| This posting is providedwith no warranties and confers no rights. If my reply answers your question please mark as answer/helpful if its helpful.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:20 PM

All replies

• We did other tests and when there is more then 10 1MB+ files in the folder the new conversations stop syncing even if under 1MB.
    • Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Friday, October 16, 2015 1:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mturgeon Friday, October 16, 2015 3:19 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 7:45 PM
  • I can confirm that this is happening in our environment, as well.  I had nothing synced to my convo history since 2/26.  I checked my history spooler folder which had dozens of files, many over 1 MB.  I cut most of them out so that only a few were left--they were added to Outlook almost immediately. 

A response from Microsoft as to whether this is intended behavior and any suggested work-arounds would be appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Friday, October 16, 2015 1:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mturgeon Friday, October 16, 2015 3:19 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:11 PM
  • Thanks for the info.
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:08 PM
  • We did open a case with Microsoft and they confirmed it is a bug in the Exchange EWS HTTP stack. It is supposedly under review by the Dev team, but my guess is that it won't be fix soon. The magic size is exactly 1MB or 1048576 bytes.

There is no workaround as I know.

--Sorry first post was with bad account.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, March 10, 2014 9:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mturgeon Friday, May 23, 2014 8:28 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:09 PM
  • Thank you for your update. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy-to-use product.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:09 AM
  • so i know this is a thing that has been forgotten but any word from M$ when this will be fixed?

you figure by now there would be a CU or a PU

Friday, May 23, 2014 7:45 PM
  • So after beeing told that I would be inform of any advancement on the BUG. I contacted them a first time asking for news, without results. So I contacted them again with the manager and every person I could find was related to the ticket, without response as well. I had to threaten them to reopen the ticket to get an answer. 

The answer was (in short),

"I just did a quick check and the BUG is actually closed as current design"

So Microsoft tell me that the BUG is as designed. The fact the Lync conversation bigger then 1MB is not saved is something they wanted from the start ??? WTF

Fortunately, I succeeded in reopening the case to a higher level.

I am still waiting a potent solution/workaround from them.

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:28 PM
  • sounds good. would love for them to fix this, since i had 1 user who Lync stopped processing the history spooler folder.

I than removed all the 1mb+ files & logged in & out like 70 times (it would only process 10 files upon logging in) & it took all the files in. However i have about 200 1mb+ file that the user needs./wants

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Sorry to bump an old post but anyone ever get any update on this?  I have a user whose chat history is about 2 weeks behind.  I checked the Spooler folder and she had 359 files in there.  10 of which were over 1 meg in size.  I deleted the 10 files so we'll see if it pulls the rest but it's sure annoying since some chats are pretty big.
    Monday, November 3, 2014 3:33 PM
  • No comeback from Microsoft and as I am far from the 90 days after ticket closing I highly doubt I can get any information on that.

My guess would be that there is a small chance that it's resolved in the next Exchange version (2015/2016) but I mostly think they just won't resolve it, as it is a hard to solve and small impact bug.

Monday, November 3, 2014 3:58 PM
  • I, too, experienced this same issue. I was able to workaround by removing the files larger than 1MB from the history spooler, and repeatedly signing in and out of Lync to let it process the remaining .hist files. However, there is currently no way for me to process the conversation files larger than 1MB. I have an open case with MS at the moment, and will update with their response.
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:48 PM
  • I don't really consider that a workaround as you loose all 1MB+ conversations but yes from what I know this is the only way to make it work again.

I really hope that more people like you and me open ticket so it get solved. I hope you best luck, as my ticket was closed again by the developers for being "As designed".

• Edited by mturgeon Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:53 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:51 PM
  • Where are you guys currently regarding the inability to save large conversations to the conversation history?
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:14 PM
  • So do you think this issue will get resolved after upgrading to SFB 2016??
    we are planning to upgrade Lync server 2013 and Lync clients to latest version SFB server 2015 and office 365 (SFB client 2016) respectively. 

In same context, is it really mandatory to upgrade both server and client together or SFB 2016 client upgrade will be enough to fix same issue?

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:05 PM
  • This issue got fixed 

Large conversations in Lync 2013 (Skype for Business) are lost in the Conversation History folder in Outlook

This issue occurs when the conversations contents are larger than 1 megabyte (MB) in Microsoft Lync 2013 (Microsoft Skype for Business). When this issue occurs, history conversations aren't saved or uploaded to your Outlook Conversation History folder.
    Cause
    This issue occurs because the size limit of a history conversation file is 1 MB. When the limit is reached, Lync 2013 (Skype for Business) can't upload the conversion to Microsoft Exchange Server.
    Resolution

To fix this issue, install the November 10, 2015 security update (KB3101496) for Lync 2013 (Skype for Business).

Note Lync 2013 was upgraded to Skype for Business in April 2015.

see the following link for more information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3085629

this is the latest update for Lync 2013 clients "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115033".

hope this helps.

Regards, Rajukb | MCSE (Communication ), MCSA (o365) ,Certified "Lync server 2013 depth support engineer"| This posting is providedwith no warranties and confers no rights. If my reply answers your question please mark as answer/helpful if its helpful.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:20 PM
  • Hi all,

I know it's a old topic. But for three weeks now, we have this issues with our Skype for Business infrastructure (CU 6.0.9319.277). 

But all files bigger than 90KB are now stuck on "History Spooler" folder... I mean, 1MB, why not... But 90KB ? Oo

I can manually save a IM, all is working fine but if I add content (I added lines of "a"), when it's bigger than 90KB, the IM is not saved anymore...

Could it be linked to Exchange 2016 CU5 we installed few weeks ago, from your point of view ? 

On S4B clients, MAPI and EWS are OK.

Cheers,

Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi all,

I know it's a old topic. But for three weeks now, we have this issues with our Skype for Business infrastructure (CU 6.0.9319.277). 

But all files bigger than 90KB are now stuck on "History Spooler" folder... I mean, 1MB, why not... But 90KB ? Oo

I can manually save a IM, all is working fine but if I add content (I added lines of "a"), when it's bigger than 90KB, the IM is not saved anymore...

Could it be linked to Exchange 2016 CU5 we installed few weeks ago, from your point of view ? 

On S4B clients, MAPI and EWS are OK.

Cheers,

Fabien

Fabien Gaille

We have experienced a similar thing with our Lync 2010 clients and Exchange 2016 CU5.  Any messages over about 100KB stop being processed.  Clients with MAPI+EWS don't produce any errors. Clients with EWS only generate the IIS EWS 500 error below.

The request failed schema validation: The 'maximum bytes per Read operation' quota (65535) has been exceeded while reading XML data. Long element start tags (consisting of the element name, attribute names and attribute values) may trigger this quota. This quota may be increased by changing the MaxBytesPerRead property on the XmlDictionaryReaderQuotas object used when creating the XML reader. Line 686, position 12

We have an open case with Microsoft.

Monday, April 17, 2017 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Edit web.config file on Exchange installation directory, client access, EWS and add this line : <add key="XmlMaxBytesPerRead" value="1000000" />

It "solves" the issue.

Cheers, Fabien 

Fabien Gaille

• Proposed as answer by drw112 Monday, April 17, 2017 2:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by mturgeon Monday, April 17, 2017 5:55 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

It "solves" the issue.

Cheers, Fabien 

Fabien Gaille

Thanks Fabien, to clarify did they have you add this line to the <appSettings> node?
    Monday, April 17, 2017 2:35 PM
  • Exactly and then, restart IIS

Fabien Gaille

Monday, April 17, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Hi Fabien

Where/who in MS did you recieve that reply from? Was it a ticket? If so could you share the ticket number?

Regards
    Jonatan

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi Jonatan,

I involved my Exchange administrator on it and he posted the issue on the Exchange TAP community. He got the same complaint from someone else and he finally got an answer from Microsoft there. I don't think he created a ticket but if it's important for you, I can ask more details. 

Let me know.

Best regards, Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:20 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes please do. I would like to know more about when and why the value was changed, and what other consequencesthere might be to change it "back" again.

Regards
    Jonatan

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:30 AM
    Yes please do. I would like to know more about when and why the value was changed, and what other consequencesthere might be to change it "back" again.

Regards
    Jonatan

What I already can tell you, is that CU6 will solve this issue. This value didn't change because it normally doesn't exist. Something on the EWS HTTP stack probably changed. I'll update here if I got more information.

Best regards, Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:10 PM

Regards
    Jonatan

What I already can tell you, is that CU6 will solve this issue. This value didn't change because it normally doesn't exist. Something on the EWS HTTP stack probably changed. I'll update here if I got more information.

Best regards, Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Exchange 2016 CU6 is now out, but the release notes don't indicate anything as far as fixing this issue.  We are running Exchange 2016 CU5 and Skype for Business Server 2015 (just migrated over from Lync 2013) with SfB 2016 clients, and have this same issue of items larger than 90KB staying in Spooler Folder and not appearing in Outlook.  I've held off on modifying the web.config file for XmlMaxBytesPerRead in hopes that CU6 would fix it, but I'd like to know for sure before installing CU6.  Would you happen to have any other info regarding CU6 fixing this?
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Sorry, I'm not really into Exchange, I just started dealing with UM :)

My Exchange admin installed CU6 (15.1.1034.26) and what I can say is that we don't have the workaround anymore into the web.config and that our IM history are still proceeded correctly. I'll ask him if he saw anything regarding this issue but right now, he's on holiday. 

Cheers,

Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:10 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Sorry, I'm not really into Exchange, I just started dealing with UM :)

My Exchange admin installed CU6 (15.1.1034.26) and what I can say is that we don't have the workaround anymore into the web.config and that our IM history are still proceeded correctly. I'll ask him if he saw anything regarding this issue but right now, he's on holiday. 

Cheers,

Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Thanks for that update Fabien! I might just bite the bullet and do the web.config change. It's odd that this doesn't seem to be officially documented as a problem (beside the old 2015 update for Lync 2013), nor the web.config change as a solution.
    Friday, June 30, 2017 7:42 PM
  • I was wrong, web.config contains now <add key="XmlMaxBytesPerRead" value="10485760" /> after the installation of the CU6

Fabien Gaille

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 8:16 AM
  • hi Fabien,

I have problem when we upgrade exchange to 2016 (CU5), follow your step, i add the key <add key="XmlMaxBytesPerRead" value="1048576" /> into <appSettings> of web.config file in the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\exchweb\ews, and then restart iis

It still cannot process .hist file over 100kB. Please help me, do i miss any step?

Thank You

Jelly

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi Jelly,

1048576 is the value I have seen in CU6. You should give a try using 1000000 instead. Be sure IIS is restarted on every server.

Moreover, you have to know that every time a Skype for Business client is started, it will only procede nearly 10 IMs. You then have to restart the client several times if you do have a lot of IMs to be procedeed.

Make sure you're seeing the same error than us as well.

Cheers,

Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:52 AM
  • thank Fabien for reply me quickly

even i put the value 2097152 (2MB), it still processes .hist files less than 100kB.

Are you sure only need to add the key in only  web.config file in this path C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\exchweb\ews ?

When i restart Skype for Business client, i only see the small file disappear, big file more than 100KB still be there!

Thank you

Jelly

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:03 AM
  • Hi Jelly,

Sorry for the delay, lot of thing to do with Unified Communication.. :)

We only edited this file, right. We're now running CU8 so I can't really run more tests. Maybe you should consider CU6 at least to solve your issue.

Cheers,

Fabien

Fabien Gaille

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:38 AM
  • hi Fabien

MS support takes near a week but the issue doesn't resolve yet, just wait 

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:30 AM