none
Windows Media Player won't rebuild or update automatically

Question

• I recently reformatted my hard drive for my Windows 7 computer. I made a backup of everything as reccommended. When it restarted I moved everything back to where it came from, including all my music back into the music folder. However, when I run Windows Media Player, it will not automatically add my music into the Library, it will only add it if I play it. Even wiht it added, when i try to make a playlist It gives me an error message, saying "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while creating or saving the playlist." I have looked on the forums to find a solution, tried all the ones that worked for others but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:36 AM

Answers

• Ok so all the libraries have their respective folder as a location and as the default save location. I restored the defaults in the music library. It create playlists fine now, but still wont update automatically, so do I just have to  play each song to add it to my library?

I suggest that you try resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would recommend you to run the Windows Media Player settings troubleshooter and check.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Media-Player-Settings-troubleshooter

You may restore the media library (Tools - Advanced - Restore media library) to fix it.

Please Note that restoring the library will make you lose all play counts, and possibly ratings too.

If the issue persists, I would like to suggest you uninstall and re-install the Windows Media Player.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:

Uninstalling the Windows Media Player:

1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
    2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
    3. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.
    4. Restart the computer

Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:

1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
    2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
    3. Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of Windows Media Player.
    4. Restart the Computer.

For more inofrmation refer to the article below:

Turn Windows features on or off

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:57 AM
  • I ran the troubleshooter and all it tells me is "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" but nothing else. I've tried restorng the library and uninstallingadn reinstalling the Windows Media Player and still have this problem.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:10 PM
  • In WMP's library, please click Organize, and select Manage libraries - Music. What locations are listed there? If there are any unavailable locations, remove them, and also make sure that a Default save location is set. Do the same for the other libraries (Videos, Pictures, Recorded TV).

If that doesn't help, close WMP, open Windows Explorer, right-click the Music library, select Properties, and click Restore Defaults. After that, make sure that a save location is set (as indicated by a checkmark).

Tim De Baets

Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Ok so all the libraries have their respective folder as a location and as the default save location. I restored the defaults in the music library. It create playlists fine now, but still wont update automatically, so do I just have to  play each song to add it to my library?
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:18 PM
  • apart from taking backup u need to have a copy of your settings on your old Hdd. For that u need to use Windows Easy transfer (An inbuilt program in windows to copy user settings). If u have already copied your playlist then copy that playlist to My Music Folder. Now After copying Playlist to my Music Folder u need to update Media Player.

To update your digital media library

1.In Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Search for Media Files. 

The Add to Library by Searching Computer dialog box opens. (You can also press F3 to open the dialog box.) 

2.In the Search options area, click the Browse button. 

3.In the Browse for Folder dialog box, select the empty My Music folder on the computer, and then click OK. 

4.In the Add to Library by Searching Computer dialog box, click Search. 

5.When the Progress bar indicates that the search is complete, click Close. 

For more info c this link...http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-pictures/transfer-music-library-to-a-new-computer-with/5aba39c8-71df-444f-bbc2-22c90e27736e

Thanks

• Edited by don'zz Monday, October 21, 2013 6:25 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 6:22 AM

I suggest that you try resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs.

Tim De Baets

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:15 PM
  • I've tried the troubleshooter.

I've manually reset the media library (by deleting the library files from the local profile directory).

I've checked that the locations from which I want media loaded are also shown in the "Libraries" section of "Windows Explorer" (and that each type - Music, Video, etc. - has a default save location set).

I've uninstalled and re-installed "Windows Media Player".

I've manually removed all locations from each WMP library, closed WMP, re-opened it and re-added the locations.

No matter what I do, it just will not automatically add items to the library.  If I play something, it gets added to the library (sometimes - it's not even consistent about that!).  However that's not really an option for adding ~40,000 audio files (plus I dread to think how many pictures and videos ...), and would presumably also mean I'd have to do that for any new items subsequently added.

Good grief, this is just awful.  I mean, this is the latest WMP (12), on a 64-bit OS (Windows 7 Pro.), and it just does not work.  That's for one user on one machine; for myself on mine (identical) it does add everything to the media library, but just about as it's completing, it always reports that the media library has become corrupt and deletes it all so the next time I start it it goes through the whole painful hours long process of re-creating it all again.

This used to work perfectly, even with that size media collection, under 32-bit 'XP for goodness' sakes ...

People seem to have been having these problems with WMP12 ever since it came out - is there even the slightest chance that Microsoft will ever actually bother to do anything about it?!

Meanwhile, any suggestions for anything else I can try would gratefully be received ...

• Edited by TEHM Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:42 PM
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:37 PM
  • TEHM: have you tried my exact instructions for resetting the media library? (see my previous post)

If WMP doesn't automatically add items to the library then that could mean that the library locations are not properly indexed by Windows Search. If you check in services.msc, is the Windows Search service running?

Regarding the issue on your machine, how does WMP report that the library has become corrupt? (e.g. exact error message) How many files does the library contain there?

Tim De Baets

• Edited by Tim De Baets Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RobLMoore Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RobLMoore Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:00 PM
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Media player library  was rebuilt and everything is working .

Thank You !

Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:31 AM
  • Tim I am having exactly the same problem as TEHM. I have reinstalled Windows 7, Performed all the above steps, and re-indexed my drive. As described if I play a song it gets added but WMP will not scan and add music from the folders I have added to my music library.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:29 PM
  • jayhova4x4: exactly which steps did you try? There are several proposed solutions in this thread.

In WMP's library, please click Organize, and select Manage libraries - Music. Which locations are listed there? Same question for the other libraries (Videos, Pictures, Recorded TV).

Tim De Baets

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:32 PM
  • These 2 tools from Microsoft helped me fix Media Player Library when all else failed... go to - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2970908?entrypointid=RNP

Then look at the bottom of the list of blue troubleshooter options, there is one for the 'Settings' and one for the 'Library', download both.

The 'Library' one fixed mine, the 'Settings' one will delete all the Media Player settings so try it last.

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Same problem as the others - WMP refuses to read the content of my libraries, even when it is 'rebuilding'.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled WMP.  I've 'managed' my libraries countless times.  I've deleted the appdata numerous times.  The troubleshooters recognized a corruption problem but did nothing to fix the issue.  WMP will play media, but will not add to the library.

I created a new user and WMP read and filled the info almost instantly, so there is something corrupt somewhere that is very persistent.

Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:04 AM
  • David: did you remember to stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service prior to deleting the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player folder?

Have you checked if the Windows Search service is still running?

Tim De Baets

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:38 PM
  • This happened to me some time ago, so I did as this answer said. The problem is that, shortly after, it again stopped updating automatically.
    Sunday, November 18, 2018 1:19 AM