none
Outlook 2003 crashes in Windows 7 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I recently placed 6 new HP Desktops with Windows 7 64-bit OS.  We transferred the licenses from the the old pc's to the new pc's.  This was the Office 2003 Professional suite.  Everything worked fine until about mid to late January.  I started getting calls from our users with the new pc's that their Outlook 2003 crashed everytime they tried to reply to an email or send a new email.  We can use the OWA but this is obviously an issue with an update to Windows 7 over the holidays.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a copy of the error:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          2/7/2011 10:09:33 AM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      ********************

Description:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 11.0.8326.0, time stamp: 0x4c1c2372

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b21e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0002fc77

Faulting process id: 0x1bf4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbc6d8eddf3bd1

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 4436d6f1-32cc-11e0-b9ac-6c626d5b5798

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-07T15:09:33.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>3033</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>***********************</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>

<Data>11.0.8326.0</Data>

<Data>4c1c2372</Data>

<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7600.16559</Data>

<Data>4ba9b21e</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>0002fc77</Data>

<Data>1bf4</Data>

<Data>01cbc6d8eddf3bd1</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>4436d6f1-32cc-11e0-b9ac-6c626d5b5798</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Thank you

Monday, February 7, 2011 3:14 PM

All replies

• After some quick research on ntdll.dll errors; I did a repair installation on Office 2003.  Now it's a sit and wait for the call when or if it crashes again.

Other thoughts and opinions are obviously welcome

Monday, February 7, 2011 3:55 PM
  • A little more information...

users are experiencing this crash when they are trying to add attachments.  This does not happen every time just once every 10 to 15 tries.  Also, they will write an email and then get an error message and discover that the body of the email is still there but all the recipient and subject information is gone.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:38 PM
  • I am having the same issue with five 32 bit machines, three Lenovo's, two Dells - 

Are you useing Kaspersky enterprise or any KAV product by chance?  I get a KAV blank error message with Kaspersky at the top, red x in a box and nothing else, then Outlook crashes in the background, but often doesn't even restart, but seems to continue running.  The event recorded is similar to yours, though with some differences.  Looks related though.  It only occurred after a few weeks running Win 7 on these machines, and (perhaps coincidentally) after switching our AV to Kaspersky Enterprise.  

I really appreciate any feedback on this - it is showing up more and more out here and I hope someone can address a fix.  Unfortunately, there is no specific activity that causes it, occasionally it happens during an attachment process, like you, the email addresses to be sent to sometimes disappear, and I might have identified one other clue which is that the OAB seems to start throwing up Sync issues, though that has happened plenty on XP machines too.  

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 11.0.8326.0, time stamp: 0x4c1c2372

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16695, time stamp: 0x4cc7ab44

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x00033370

Faulting process id: 0xb80

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd0ded74b87e

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE

Report Id: c363c377-392d-11e0-98bd-00247e03ff0e

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Thank you for responding, I was beginning to feel like a man on a deserted island.

I went through the process last Tuesday of adding XP Mode via Virtual PC for Windows 7 on the afflicted computers.  The biggest issue in this process is the setup process.  It is as if you are setting up a new workstation.  You need to install all the applications i.e. Office suite, Adobe etc..., we also use static IP so I had to setup a range just for the virtual pc's so that they could print to the network printers.  Approximately an hour process for each user to get it configured and show them how to use it.

I installed AVG 2011 Free for all the new Windows 7 computers.  That could be the clue that I wasn't thinking about before, anti-virus checks on attachments for email.  I need to see if there is an add-on for AVG in the Outlook add-ons and test it being off.

The latest issue is one of the users now cannot schedule appointment, they don't save, and his calendar reminders do not go away.

let me know your thoughts

Monday, February 21, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Here is the event log that I'm seeing on a client's PC. Same setup of Outlook 2003 (fully patched) on Win7 x64 (again fully patched). So far today the error has popped up 8 times in about 3 hrs. They do have AVG 2011 installed with email scanning enabled, however Outlook doesn't show any add-in under the Add-in Mgr. When I tried to use Compatibility Mode under outlook.exe props, the app failed to launch with an error "unable to access information store". Also UAC is turned off in ctrl pnl.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          2/9/2011 9:59:42 AM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      fcs-1405.FCS.LOCAL

Description:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16695, time stamp: 0x4cc7ab86

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00038db9

Faulting process id: 0x15f4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbc86f8fd30898

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 9b1a7468-3465-11e0-88bd-6c626d05f1f7

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:20 PM
  • I'm beginning to wonder if this is security settings related.  I noticed that the Administrator group does not have write access to the root drive by default.  I'm going to test this theory on one of my users this afternoon.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:12 PM
  • I'm also having all sorts of problems with the outlook 2003 restarting and/or just closing having "encountered a problem". It has happened when opening messages, highlighting several messages to move folders, replying, adding attachments, there doesn't seem to be a definite cause each time.

Running 64 bit windows 7 and the issues have only started since we upgraded to AVG 2011 a few weeks ago. I'm the only one in the office on a 64 bit windows 7 so all other users using new AVG unaffected.

Have tried all other suggested fixes: setting up a new mail account, disabled all add ins, turned off email scanning in AVG but doesn't make any difference - have been kicked out of outlook 3 times in the first 40 minutes this morning.

Any additional ideas or fixes most welcome.

• Proposed as answer by EMB_11 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:10 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:46 AM
  • The issues with crashes are often difficult to troubleshoot. Crash issues are often caused by add-ins, corruption in the profile, and sometimes print drivers among others.  This KB gives some good first steps to troubleshoot, Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2413813. 

If the steps in the KB are not helpful please consider opening a support case, http://support.microsoft.com/.

Post the 1001 event for the crash that has more details to help with troubleshooting.  This can sometimes help if the crash is commonly reported and will likely be asked for by support.

1. Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc and click OK
    2. Expand the Application Log (Windows Logs, Application Log)
    3. Right click the Application Log and click Filter Current Log
    4. For Event ID enter the number 1000
    5. Find the event for the last crash and note the time stamp.
    6. If you have clicked to send the error report to Microsoft the event will also be listed as 1001.  Change the filter to filter on 1001 and search for the original that corresponds to the 1000 time stamp. 
    a. It is preferred to filter with event 1001 so that we can see the Watson Bucket ID.
    7. Locate the recent crash event and open it.  Click the Copy button to copy it and then paste it to Notepad or Word to remove any personal details like the computer name.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:19 PM
  • The issues with crashes are often difficult to troubleshoot. Crash issues are often caused by add-ins, corruption in the profile, and sometimes print drivers among others.  This KB gives some good first steps to troubleshoot, Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2413813. 

If the steps in the KB are not helpful please consider opening a support case, http://support.microsoft.com/.

Post the 1001 event for the crash that has more details to help with troubleshooting.  This can sometimes help if the crash is commonly reported and will likely be asked for by support.

1. Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc and click OK
    2. Expand the Application Log (Windows Logs, Application Log)
    3. Right click the Application Log and click Filter Current Log
    4. For Event ID enter the number 1000
    5. Find the event for the last crash and note the time stamp.
    6. If you have clicked to send the error report to Microsoft the event will also be listed as 1001.  Change the filter to filter on 1001 and search for the original that corresponds to the 1000 time stamp. 
    a. It is preferred to filter with event 1001 so that we can see the Watson Bucket ID.
    7. Locate the recent crash event and open it.  Click the Copy button to copy it and then paste it to Notepad or Word to remove any personal details like the computer name.

I got the same message about:

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd0ded74b87e

This is how I fixed: It was an appoitment in the calendar (corrupted or the system didn't like it) schedule for the weekend with a seeting recurrence every first day of the month. We don't open weekends I guess that that was the issue. After I delete that appointment from the calendard the error is gone. I deleted from OWA since outlook was keeping crashing and not alow me to do anything. The user system was WINDOWS 7 Prof. 32bit with outlook 2003 and exchange 2000. Yes I know we still in exchange 2000

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:17 PM
  • A little late here, but I think this issue may be related to (surprisingly) Bluetooth! This forum gave me the answer that fixed my problem:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/113324-office-2003-crashes-when-trying-to-copy-paste-or-save-with-windows-7-pro

The best answer from that forum being to use this software:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/officeins.html

To disable all bluetooth components (just right click on each bluetooth item listed in the menu and choose disable from the first submenu). Crashing stopped as soon as I did this..
    • Proposed as answer by HaydnWVN Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:04 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 3:30 PM
  • AF999

We are having this exact issue on Lenovo laptops and Kaspersky. They are all 64-bit machines.

How did you solve this?

Thx sms380

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:20 AM
  • This fixed my issue too!

Windows 7 32bit with Office 2003 SP3.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:05 PM