none
Best Practice To Utilize Two 10 Gigabit Ethernet Cards For NIC level Availability. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Environment Details:

I have two Dell Rx730 PowerEdge servers on which I have deployed and setup Exchange 2016 server. Both servers are part of one DAG.  

Each server have two NICs of 10 Gigabit Ethernet Cards. Right now only one 10 Gigabit Ethernet Card on each server is being used. I want to use other NIC as well for NIC high availability. 

Questions: 

• Should we simple plug the cable to another NIC and set the another IP of same network so servers can communicate with each other on two IPs of same subnet. In this case if one network card fails then server would be reachable through another NIC.  Can we do this way? If not then what is reason behined it?
    • We can create NIC teaming using these two 10 GB NICs. If NIC teaming is right option as campre to above one then what configuration from given below is best practice for Exchange. 

1. Switch Independent configuration / Address Hash distribution
      2. Switch Independent configuration / Dynamic distribution
      3. Switch Dependent configuration / Address Hash distribution
      4. Switch Dependent configuration / Dynamic distribution

Note: We are aware about PA for Exchange by Microsoft ( use only one 10 GB NIC) but as we have two 10 GB NICs on each server so we want to utilize them.

• Edited by Asif-Janjua Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there,

See the following article below

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638104(v=exchg.160).aspx#NR

Additional Replication networks can be added, as needed. You can also prevent an individual network adapter from being a single point of failure by using network adapter teaming or similar technology. However, even when using teaming, this doesn't prevent the network itself from being a single point of failure. Moreover, teaming adds unnecessary complexity to the DAG.

based on you switch configuration if you want the most simple setup you can add the Switch Independent configuration / Dynamic distribution

this works in almost all setups. But for replication it uses a single tcp thread per database. So if you have one database. it never will use the full 20Gbit for the replication itself.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:30 AM
  • Hi Vincent, 

Thanks for your reply. I have gone through the above mentioned article but I am not able to get specific answer about my scanrio.

Let me rephrase, we have two network adapters (10 Gigabit ) on each server.  Currently one network adapter is in use (Mapi and Replication).

1. If we enable the second network adapter and assign the another IP of same network then Exchange will use both networks for MAPI and Replication?  If one network adapter fails then server would be reachable from second network adapter for MAPI and Replication?

2.  Is there any note or comment by Microsoft  that which configurations can be used in NIC Teaming for Exchange?  Switch Independent configuration / Dynamic distribution, this configuration is supported for Replication trafic between DAG servers? 

3. What your thoughts about Switch Independent configuration / Address Hash distribution?

Note: The Replication and MAPI network is same and we do not want them to separate it as network adapter 10 Gigabit is enough for MAPI and Replication Network trafic. 

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply! 

We suggest you use NIC Teaming method to deploy NIC level Availability. This is the support way to  deploy NIC level Availability with Exchange. 
    For more information, you may refer to the following article:
    NIC Teaming Overview

In this way, we will still have single NIC for replication and MAPI network and we can achieve traffic failover to prevent connectivity loss in the event of a network component failure.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:53 AM
  • What are best/supported or recommended configurations of NIC Teaming For Exchange 2016 from given below configuratioins?

1. LACP with Dynamic Mode

2. Switch Independent with Dynamic 

Please share your experience and suggested us what are best configurations. We are plaining to use LACP with Dynamic Mode as suggested in below link:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29070871/Best-Practice-To-Utilize-Two-10-Gigabit-Ethernet-Cards-For-NIC-level-Availability.html?anchor=a42386891&notificationFollowed=200913768#a42386891

Monday, December 4, 2017 7:52 AM
  • What are best/supported or recommended configurations of NIC Teaming For Exchange 2016 from given below configuratioins?

1. LACP with Dynamic Mode

2. Switch Independent with Dynamic 

Please share your experience and suggested us what are best configurations. We are plaining to use LACP with Dynamic Mode as suggested in below link:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29070871/Best-Practice-To-Utilize-Two-10-Gigabit-Ethernet-Cards-For-NIC-level-Availability.html?anchor=a42386891&notificationFollowed=200913768#a42386891

I think we may follow this link and use LACP with Dynamic Mode to deploy NIC level Availability with Exchange.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Asif-Janjua Friday, December 8, 2017 12:02 PM
    Friday, December 8, 2017 12:02 PM