Problem With Compact On Close -- Windows 10 -- Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10
    Access 2010

I use a symbolic junction to point C:\FolderName to S:\FolderName (MKLINK /D C:\FolderName S:\FolderName)

C:\FolderName and S:\FolderName and the UNC path to S:\FolderName are trusted locations as are there subfolders.  Trust locations on network is checked.

I open an Access 2010 database (i.e. DB1) that has compact on close set in the folder and close it.  It goes through compact.  At the end I get a message that the original database, DB1, could not be deleted because of permissons and to manually delete it and rename the compacted version which is Database.

Problems:
    1. I have full permissions on the folder
    2. The original database is actually deleted even though the message says it wasn't

I have exactly the same setup in a Windows 7 machine with no problems.  What is going on?

http://www.saberman.com

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Sabeman,

I am trying to reproduce this issue with Access 2013 on Windows 10 and failed to reproduce this issue. Can you reproduce this issue when you open/close this database through the origin folder(S:\FolderName)? I also suggest that you try to create a new database and to see whether this issue to narrow down whether this issue is relative to the specific database.

I also trying to build the Window 10 and Access 2010 to see whether this issue could be reproduced. 

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 26, 2016 3:34 AM
  • It is definitely a problem with the symbolic link.

I created a new Access 2010 database by right clicking in a folder on the C: drive that was trusted and selecting New \ Access Database.

I opened it and checked the compact on close option and closed it.  I then opened it again and closed it and everything was fine.

I then copied the database to the junction directory.  I accessed the folder by using S:\foldername thus not going through the junction logic.  I opened and closed the database and all was well.

I then accessed the folder via the C:\foldername junction.  I opened and closed the database and during close got the same error message I originally posted.  After I closed the popup error message I checked the folder.  The original database was gone.  There was a file called database.mdb (which is what access actually compacts into).

So the delete of the original database did complete but the Access logic thought it didn't and stopped at that point and issued the error message.

To reproduce the error you need Windows 10 Pro x64 and Access 2010 (I have Office pro plus 2010 on the machine.)  Create a folder on another machine (FolderName) under any shared folder.  Map the shared folder to the Windows 10 machine as the S: drive.  Create a junction: MKLINK C:\FolderName S:\FolderName.

In the trust center make C:\folder name trusted.  Also make S:\FolderName trusted and for good measure make the UNC path to S:\FolderName trusted (i.e. \\OtherMachineName\Share\FolderName).

Create a new Access database in C:\FolderName.  Open it and go to Files\options\current database and check the compact on close option.  Close the database.  Open it again and close it.  You should get the error message and at the end of the process the new Access database will be gone and there will now be one called Database.mdb.

Edit: The database that is left after the error has an extension of mdb not accdb.

• Edited by saberman Friday, February 26, 2016 7:25 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 7:06 AM
  • I tried to reproduce the problem as simply as possible.  I created a new folder on the mapped S: drive called FolderName.  Then from an administrator cmd window with the C:\ drive as the current directory I issued:
    MKLINK /D C:\FolderName S:\FolderName.

I then clicked on C:\FolderName in File Explorer.

Then I did the following:
    1. Right clicked on the folder and selected New \ Access Database
    2. Opened the Access database by double clicking on it
    3. Went to File \ Options \ Current database and ckecked compact on close
    4. Closed the options window and got a message saying I would have to close and reopen the database to have the option take affect.
    5. Closed the database and it went into the compact process (even through it should not happen until it had been closed and reopened and closed) and got the error message.
    6. Close the error message and check the drive and the new access accdb database was gone and a Database.mdb file was in its place.

The following are the screen shots:

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:37 AM
  • Hi Saberman,

Thanks for the detail information for this issue. I am still failed to reproduce this issue when install the Access 2010 professional plus on the Windows 10. 

Since there is no other avail driver on the test environment, I tested with the symbol link on the same driver like below:

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>mklink /D target C:\users\administartor\documents

Can you reproduce this issue on this scenario?

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, February 29, 2016 9:03 AM
  • I created a real folder C:\FolderNameOnC
    I then created a symbolic link:
    C:\>MKLINK /D C:\DoesNotExist C:\FolderNameOnC
    symbolic link created for C:\DoesNotExist <<===>> C:\FolderNameOnC
    I then clicked on C:\DoesNotExist and created a new Access Database
    I opened it and added C:\FolderNameOnC and C:\DoesNotExist to trusted locations and closed the database.
    Then I opened it again and check compact on close.
    I closed it and it closed normally.
    I then opened it again and closed it.  It closed normally and was still there.
    Conclusion:  The problem is with the symbolic junction pointing to a folder on a different machine.

P.S. Why isn't there a sign in button when I click on the URL for the thread.  The only way I can sign in is to click on a reply to someone at random, sign in and then cancel the reply.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:19 AM
  • Additional information:
    The system I am using (Winodws 10 Pro x64) is a VitrualBox VM.  The real folder is on the host Windows 8.1 Pro.

I do the same thing from a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 VirtualBox VM with Access 2010 on the same host to the same real folder and it works normally.

• Edited by saberman Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:49 PM
  • It gets stranger and stranger.

I went through the junction and tried to rename database.mdb to database.accdb and got the standard warning followed by a File Too Large error:

Copy/Paste does work and I get: Database - Copy.mdb

• Edited by saberman Friday, March 4, 2016 5:04 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 5:01 AM
  • Hi Saberman,

Thanks for the detail information for this issue.

>>P.S. Why isn't there a sign in button when I click on the URL for the thread.  The only way I can sign in is to click on a reply to someone at random, sign in and then cancel the reply.

This issue seems relative to the new designer of the forum and for this kind of issues, you can submit the feedback from Forums Redesign - Q&A / Discussions forum.

And for the issue about compacting database from the symbolic link, since it is complex I suggest you contacting Microsoft support to raise an incident so that our engineer could work closely with him to identify the root cause and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. 

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. 
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/bb266240.aspx

Regards & Fei

Friday, March 4, 2016 6:01 AM
  • I have determined that it is not an Access 2010 problem (although the error message it gives is wrong).

I right click on the symbolic link and select New \ Text File

I then try to change the file type from .txt to .csv and get the same File Too Large error.

Friday, March 4, 2016 6:44 AM