none
Where does email go if wrong name entered RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering using Exchange. The way our email is set up now, if someone types the wrong name, but the domain name is correct, the emails bounce to me, the admin.  Can it be set up that way or will the emails be lost?  Example: if someone is trying to email johndoe@domain.com  but they send to john@domain.com does it get lost or does it bounce to an address?

Thank you for your help?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Scenario 1 :If you are having an single exchange environment with your domain name (i.e domain.com) as authoritative in accepted domain list then definitely sender will get the bounce back error message which says "recipient not found".

Scenario 2 : Say for instance you are using your domain (i.e domain.com) as a shared namespace between two different exchange forest.On that time definitely you will not get the bounce back message immediately .Because your message will get looped between the exchange forest .On certain hop sender will be getting an bounce back message which says that "your message has reached the possible number of hop counts". 

Note : On scenario 2 your domain (i.e domain.com) will be on internal relay on both exchange forest.

Please feel free to reply me if you have any queries.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:30 PM

All replies

• The mail will bounce back to the user.

DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi ,

Scenario 1 :If you are having an single exchange environment with your domain name (i.e domain.com) as authoritative in accepted domain list then definitely sender will get the bounce back error message which says "recipient not found".

Scenario 2 : Say for instance you are using your domain (i.e domain.com) as a shared namespace between two different exchange forest.On that time definitely you will not get the bounce back message immediately .Because your message will get looped between the exchange forest .On certain hop sender will be getting an bounce back message which says that "your message has reached the possible number of hop counts". 

Note : On scenario 2 your domain (i.e domain.com) will be on internal relay on both exchange forest.

Please feel free to reply me if you have any queries.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

Besides, we can configure message tracking to check the routing for a test.

Refer to this article for configuration.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124375(v=exchg.150).aspx

Best Regards.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:42 AM