none
Drive Mapping not showing up in Explorer Drive Listing

Question

• Hi, I am having a strange problem.

I have a unc path that I want to map to and everything works fine.

Apart from one user.

When I try to map the drive under the probmatic account, I cant see anything in my drive list.

I can go to Computer and map the location by using the Map Network Drive button. (This works fine and the mapping appears.)

But the mapping doesn't appear if I use Net Use. (It says the command completed successfully but it doesn't show in my drive listing)

I have added the account to the local administrators group and turned off UAC.

It's really strange.

I need it to be able to map using Net Use because I have a batch file with a command in.

Have you come across anything like this?

• Edited by midi25 Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:16 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:15 PM

Answers

• you are running the command prompt as administrator, you need to run the command prompt normally to map a drive otherwise it will map it against the administrator profile - hence the reason you are not seeing the drive mapping

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by midi25 Friday, November 29, 2013 1:17 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 6:45 AM

All replies

• whats the exact command you are using?

do you have any group policy in place which stops certain drive letters from being displayed

also this one user - does it follow him round to all computers, so if he logs onto another computer does it map the drive correctly

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hi,

I tried it on another machine and I got the same result.

So it is following the user around.

It works ok when I use the Domain Administrator account.

The command must be ok because it's working with the DA account.

I'm using -

net use s: "\\myuncpath" password /user:localusername

Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:39 PM
  • can you run gpresult /r /v from the command prompt and post the output - this needs to be run when the user that is failing is logged in

also do you use roaming profiles? or redirect application data folder?

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:41 PM
  • also why are you specifying a username and password - are you not mapping the drive under the users credentials?

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:42 PM
  • The reason why I am using a username and password is due to the remote machine is not in the domain and I can't establish a connection without providing valid credentials.

I haven't changed anything yet. I am in the process of setting my Server up. This used to work ok.

I made the account a Domain Admin and I'm still getting the problem.

• Edited by midi25 Friday, November 29, 2013 1:17 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:01 PM
  • strange, nothing strikes out in the gpresult that would cause the issue. If it's just this one user that is being affected it would seem like their is something in the users profiles which is doing this.

does any drive map? what if you try and change the drive letter?

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Hi, I have just tried it with another user and i'm getting the same result.

It must be affecting everyone apart from the administrator account of the domain.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Did you try this Net use s: \\server\share

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I have tried with and without quotes.

This is really stumping me.

It is affecting every user apart from the domain administrator account.

I've even created a new share and it's still happening.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Also try net use s: \\ipaddress\share

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Thanks I will give that a try.

Now it's telling me that I have multiple connections to the share with the same username.

According to Shared Folder under sessions, I don't have anything open.

I do hate Windows sometimes.

I wrote this down last time because it was tricky to setup. So I know that I'm not doing anything different.

It worked ok last time. I don't know what the issue is here. Grrrrrr

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:58 PM
  • Yes, that's a well known issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938120/en-us

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Hi,

No multiple connection to the share using the same credentials. It's basically saying that I can't connect to the share as more than one instance of the same user.

But it's showing that no sessions exist. It's like it's not cleaning up the connections properly when you close them.

I have found some other articles.

This post sounds similar to what I am describing. It's from the following thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4b736ba5-268a-4dcb-a3ee-cc2abff0bb01/issue-with-group-policy-drive-mapping?forum=W8ITProPreRel

Run command "net use" in command line with administrator privilege and see if the drive is mapped.

If you can see the mapped drive in the result of net use but cannot see it in Windows Explorer, the issue may be caused by UAC. Are you the domain adminsitrator?

Similar issues occurred since Windows Vista. See:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766208(WS.10).aspx

It said:

UAC may prevent Group Policy logon scripts from appearing to work properly. For example, a domain environment contains a GPO that includes a logon script to map network drives. A nonadministrative user logs on to the domain from a Windows Vista computer. After Windows Vista loads the desktop, the nonadministrative user starts Windows Explorer. The user sees their mapped drives. Under the same environment, an administrative user logs on to the domain from a Windows Vista computer. After Windows Vista loads the desktop, the administrative user starts Windows Explorer. The user does not see their mapped drives.

When the administrative user logs on, Windows processes the logon scripts using the elevated token. The script actually works and maps the drive. However, Windows blocks the view of the mapped network drives because the desktop uses the limited token while the drives were mapped using the elevated token.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

<input id="1f32e2ec-e0e3-481d-90b8-7fcc52f488fa_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />                
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:48 AM
    Arthur Xie

Arthur Xie

MSFT CSG

32,950 Points                12                4                2                       
    Recent Achievements           
    New Gallery Rater                                            Thread Mover II                                            Proposed Answerer I                                                           
    Arthur Xie's threads                                View Profile           
                                        (MSFT CSG)                               
    32,950 Points               
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Try net use * /delete /yes then try again.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:30 PM
  • I have included a screen dump to show you what I mean.

The explorer image is from my Server and it only shows the C: and nothing else. Even though I have a drive mapping showing in the cmd screen.

The test folder is on the other PC and it is showing it as mapped with an M: letter. (right click the pic and save as to view properly)

Friday, November 29, 2013 12:02 AM
  • you are running the command prompt as administrator, you need to run the command prompt normally to map a drive otherwise it will map it against the administrator profile - hence the reason you are not seeing the drive mapping

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by midi25 Friday, November 29, 2013 1:17 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

I managed to get it working with your help.

I'm used to running things as the administrator and I couldn't understand why this wasn't working.

The account that I was using was a member of the local admin group. So I thought everything should be ok.

I ran the net use command without running the cmd prompt as an administrator and it worked.

Then I amended my .bat file a little and everything worked. 

Friday, November 29, 2013 12:38 PM
  • Glad it's all working for you. When you run as administrator it runs everything against that profile, so that's why you didn't see it in explorer as it was mapped to your administrator account. Please mark the question as answered. Thanks

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Friday, November 29, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Same problem as OP is having, but I am mapping the drives as a part of a logon script. Is there a way to get the logon script to run normally, instead of as an administrator? 
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Same problem here too using a logon script.

Drives are marked as connected using admin rights on command line but are not visible with standard user command line. Explorer doesn't list them either. Users have full admin rights.

Administrator works fine with logon script.

UAC is at the lowest notch. I have been on this case for 2 days.

Edit : Forgot to mention we are in a Workgroup environnement. Other parts of the scripts seems to work.

• Edited by TELUS_MSH Tuesday, May 5, 2015 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:19 PM
  • For the sake of everyone else with the same problem, I just found out you can completly disable UAC by modifying the following reg key :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System EnableLUA (set it to 0)

Drives are mapping instantly at logon now. 

• Proposed as answer by Gwyn Llewelyn Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:42 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Excellent
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:04 AM
  • I have this key set to 0.

But some of my network shared folders, mapped on the logon scrip by net use commands, are not showing in the explorer. But if I open a CMD command line, and type just "net use", they are there, and acessible via command line...

Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Thank you. So simple, but took me an half our...

Florisz, WHS, XP NL/EN SP3, Windows Media Center, Win7, Pocket Loox with 2003SE and Samsung SGH-i600 with WM 6.5

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:36 AM
  • TELUS_MSH - excellent stuff.

I've been trying to find the answer to this for several days, and so far it's stopped me from being able to roll out Windows 10.  Setting EnableLUA to 0 has fixed my PowerShell Logon Script Drive Maps not appearing in Windows Explorer.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:17 AM