An Automatic Reply is giving an error RRS feed

• Question

• I need to set an automatic reply in outlook 2016, but it is giving an error:

An automatic reply has not been entered and will prevent automatic replies being sent. Automatic reply rules will work. 

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Sunday, July 12, 2020 12:56 AM

All replies

• Hi marishah,

Before going further, is this a problem that has only recently occurred?
    What's the version of your Outlook 2016? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

>> An automatic reply has not been entered and will prevent automatic replies being sent. Automatic reply rules will work. 
    Did you get this error when click the "Automatic Reply" button to configure it? Or after the configuration?

In order to conduct further researches on your issue, please try the following suggestions:

1. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    2. A corrupted profile can lead this issue, so please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.
    3. If the issue continues, please try repairing your Office installation.

Besides, as a workaround, you could also create an out-of-office rule to achieve Automatic Reply.

Hope this can be useful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2020 9:25 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to the sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Saturday, July 18, 2020 11:40 AM
  • Hi ,

It has been a while, how is everything going?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you think my reply is helpful to you, please remember to mark it as an answer. Thanks for your understanding and support.

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to the sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 8:36 AM
  • Hi marishah,

Based on my test, this warning message usually prompts when you leave the Inside My Organization tab blank:

If this describes your situation, you can just click "Yes" and this automatic reply will work for external senders. 

Here is a similar thread for your reference:
    Outlook 2010 Auto Replies

This Outlook IT Pro Discussions Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Outlook IT Pro Discussions will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 30, 2020 7:57 AM