none
Connectivity Tests Fail after Exchange VM moved to different host

Question

• I'll start by saying we recently did a firewall upgrade a few weeks ago and afterward we were passing all connectivity tests trough https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com with no errors.  Autodiscover, Active Sync, OWA, and Outlook Anywhere all passed tests and worked with our devices (cell phones, laptops, etc).  Everything was good.

This past weekend we moved a bunch of server from one HyperV host to another.  For each we set the network card to DHCP (from static), uninstall it from the system, then shutdown the machine.  Once moved the now "new" network card gets installed and we reassign the static address and reboot again.  Have done 20+ servers like this without issue.  However the Exchange box sat at "Getting Devices Ready" for a extremely long time.  I did some searching and found this article: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/569407-after-server-shutdown-server-now-hangs-at-getting-devices-ready which had me delete a "Generic PnP Monitor" which solved that issue.  After it booted back up I upgraded the integration services which then also broke the server.  It sat at "Getting Windows Ready" for 15 minutes then got to a login screen but after login the screen was blank and barely usable.  Thankfully found this gem which had the exact same issue: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1731567-upgrading-integration-svs-to-6-3-9600-18398-for-2012r2-exchange-2016-breaks-vm   That said to boot up in safe mode, disable the "Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology" service which effectively stops all the other services, reboot, reinstall the integration services, re-enable the Exchange services, and reboot.  So I did all that and Exchange came back up like normal.

Here is the confusing part.  As I said all the connectivity tests were successful before this but now I'm failing the "Outlook Connectivity" test.  Clients seem to connect ok.  The test gets through autodiscover but has a problem pinging the rpc endpoint:

Attempting to ping the MAPI Mail Store endpoint with identity: GUID-REMOVED@mydomain.com:6001.
    The attempt to ping the endpoint failed.

Additional Details

An RPC error was thrown by the RPC Runtime process. Error 1818 CallCancelled
    Elapsed Time: 32537 ms.

I have searched for hours on possible reasons for this and tried multiple fixes but none worked.  I've recreated all my virtual directories, double checked all internal/external URLs, increased the maximum request size to 1Gb, verified permissions on the physical directories on the Exchange box, verified the authentication methods on the virtual directories, verified all my certificates, verified the server and ports (6001, 6002, and 6004) are in the registry for RPCProxy, verified DNS entries, etc.  Again it was passing this test before the move.

So first does it matter that I'm failing this part if my Outlook clients are able to connect?  Second if it doesn't then why am I failing it?  Is there a solution?  I've yet to find one.

-Allan

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Answers

• Tried both links, actually had seen both those previously, and neither made a difference. 

I guess I'll just go with it fails the connectivity test but it works so oh well unless someone else has a idea.

• Marked as answer by vseven Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 4:27 PM

All replies

• If you're not having a problem, the I wouldn't be trying to create one.  But I do share your concern and it would probably bother me as well.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please post out the detailed messages of your testing?

Thanks for your effort.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

I haven't heard back from you yet, and I'm just writing to see if you have had an opportunity to try the suggestions I provided. If it helps please help to mark as answer.

If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post to our forum.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jason Chao

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Here is the full output of the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer.  Some info has been scrubbed but the end result is the same.  This was a "Outlook Connectivity" test under the "Microsoft Office Outlook Connectivity Tests" group.  I've cleaned out all extroneous info:

Testing Outlook connectivity.
    The Outlook connectivity test failed.
    Test Steps
    The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is attempting to test Autodiscover for myuser@mydomain.com.
    Autodiscover was tested successfully.
    Autodiscover settings for Outlook connectivity are being validated.
    The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer validated the Outlook Autodiscover settings.
    Testing RPC over HTTP connectivity to server email.mydomain.com
    RPC over HTTP connectivity failed.
    Test Steps
    Attempting to resolve the host name email.mydomain.com in DNS.
    The host name resolved successfully.
    Testing TCP port 443 on host email.mydomain.com to ensure it's listening and open.
    The port was opened successfully.
    Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
    The certificate passed all validation requirements.
    Checking the IIS configuration for client certificate authentication.
    Client certificate authentication wasn't detected.
    Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://email.mydomain.com/rpc/rpcproxy.dll?0d763454-888f-484f-a03e-a89efce0e5f1@mydomain.com:6002.
    The HTTP authentication methods are correct.
    Attempting to ping RPC proxy email.mydomain.com.
    RPC Proxy was pinged successfully.
    Attempting to ping the MAPI Mail Store endpoint with identity: 0d763454-888f-484f-a03e-a89efce0e5f1@mydomain.com:6001.
    The attempt to ping the endpoint failed.
    Additional Details
    An RPC error was thrown by the RPC Runtime process. Error 1818 CallCancelled
    Elapsed Time: 32525 ms.

• Edited by vseven Friday, March 24, 2017 1:58 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

It doesn’t matter the failing in this part, if the Outlook clients are able to connect. Given the record, the problem was that you don’t have an outbound URL rewrite rule specifically for RPC and so the ping reply was not getting back.

For the solutions, please refer to the following articles:

Similar thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/c7e78280-9162-44b6-9faf-7a4e0e6fc996/an-rpc-error-was-thrown-by-the-rpc-runtime-process-error-1818?forum=exchangesvr3rdpartyappslegacy

Trouble IIS ARR with Exchange 2013.

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Tried both links, actually had seen both those previously, and neither made a difference. 

I guess I'll just go with it fails the connectivity test but it works so oh well unless someone else has a idea.

• Marked as answer by vseven Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 4:27 PM
  • It should be fine.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:46 AM