none
Lync deployment error

Question

• Hi All,

I'm installing for the first time Lync 2010 Standard Server.

Now I'm getting the error:

Checking prerequisite SqlExpressRtc...installing...failure code -2068578304

Prerequisite installation failed: SqlExpressRtc

I'm installing Lync on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (O.S. in italian localization).

Anyone could point me in the right direction?

Thx

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:04 PM

Answers

• Deleted
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Monday, September 20, 2010 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Not really about OCS or Lync Serevr but should be helpful. But, if you have a pending reboot, you can clear that by going here:

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

and then delete the following key:

PendingFileRenameOperations

To prepare the RTC local database on all of your Lync Servers (Directors, Edge, Monitoring, Front End, etc) you can run this ahead of time from the installation directory:

SQLEXPR_x64.exe /Q /HIDECONSOLE /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,Tools /INSTANCENAME=RTC /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic

This will run completely hidden in the background.

Thom Foreman, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:35 PM
  • OK It worked. Thank you.

The problem was I'm installing Lync on a DC server, sql express installation get error because the sql must can't be NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService.

I'm my lab, I'm trying to install all on the same server: DC, Exchange 2010 and Lync 2010 std ed., is it supported?

Regards

Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:49 AM

The problem was I'm installing Lync on a DC server, sql express installation get error because the sql must can't be NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService.

I'm my lab, I'm trying to install all on the same server: DC, Exchange 2010 and Lync 2010 std ed., is it supported?

Regards

Lync is NOT supported on a DC.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:57 AM

All replies

• There should be a log file that the install references, can you please post the errors in the log file?
    Mark King | MCTS:UC Voice | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:16 PM
  • There is a link on the Deployment wizard for "Prepare First Standard Edition Server".  Did you click this link before trying to install? 
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:22 PM

• Not sure if Lync Server 2010 Release Candidate (English) has been certified to work with Windows Server 2008 or R2 other than US English.

In short for Standard Edition installation, you must initially prepare the first SE server that will house the new Central Management Store (CMS). Subsequently, use the Planning Tool or Topology Builder to build your Lync server infrastructure. Only with a validated topology can the actual install/update of Lync Server begin.

See also related Lync 2010 resources here.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks!

TechNet Forum Moderator (Unified Communications) - http://www.leedesmond.com
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:08 PM
  • We have been able to get Lync Server to install on Windows Server 2008 R2 with basically going through the same procedure as OCS 2007 R2 on Server 2008 R2.

FYI

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Hi,

@HWHarrington: I get the error during the Prepare Single Standard Edition Server procedure.

@Mark a King: this is the log of the error:

Error: Prerequisite installation failed: SqlExpressRtc

Installation result: -2068578304
    Error: Prerequisite installation failed: SqlExpressRtc
    Details
    Type: PrereqInstallFailed
    Stack Trace
    in Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Tools.Bootstrapper.BootstrapperTask.AddMsiPrereq(String prereqName)
    in Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Internal.Utilities.LogWriter.InvokeAndLog[T](Action`1 action, T arg)

Regards

• Proposed as answer by 92Typhoon Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Deleted
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Not really about OCS or Lync Serevr but should be helpful. But, if you have a pending reboot, you can clear that by going here:

To prepare the RTC local database on all of your Lync Servers (Directors, Edge, Monitoring, Front End, etc) you can run this ahead of time from the installation directory:

SQLEXPR_x64.exe /Q /HIDECONSOLE /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,Tools /INSTANCENAME=RTC /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:35 PM

If you add "start /wait" before "SQLEXPR_x64.exe", the command line won't return until the install is finished.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:16 PM

Regards

Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:49 AM

Regards

Lync is NOT supported on a DC.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:57 AM
  • I had exactly this problem, so I fired up another virtual machine and joined it to the domain - no problems installing.

So the message is: install Lync on a member server. :-)

MCSE 2003, MCTS (2008, LCS, OCS, SharePoint) Paradyne | My BPOS blog (Explore the BPOSsibility)
    Friday, September 17, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Deleted
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Deleted
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 7:26 PM
  • worked perfect but i had to correct the parth to the sqlexpr_x64.exe to the installation directory.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Lync definitely can install on a machine where SQL Express 2008 is already installed. Unfortunately, there are many possible reasons (unrelated to Lync) that can cause SQL to fail to install.

You may have luck looking under %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\ and seeing if the cause of the install failure is something obvious. There's also documentation on diagnosing SQL install failures here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955396

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Thanks Thom Foreman! the above command fixed the Prerequisite installation failed: SqlExpressRtc error. Now I am getting:

Installing OcsCore.msi(Feature_LocalMgmtStore)...failure code 1603 Error returned while installing OcsCore.msi(Feature_LocalMgmtStore), code 1603. Please consult log at Add-OcsCore.msi-Feature_LocalMgmtStore-[2011_03_10][12_51_21].log

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hi All,

I am Migrate Lync Standard Editon to EE its working fine.

Now I am adding one more FE server in Topology and published successfully.

When I Run Local Configuration store in Secound server its giving "Installing OcsCore.msi(Feature_LocalMgmtStore)...failure code 1603 Error returned while installing OcsCore.msi(Feature_LocalMgmtStore), code 1603. Please consult log at Add-OcsCore.msi-Feature_LocalMgmtStore-[2011_03_10][12_51_21].log

Eventhrough I running Administrator account.

Please help me..

Regards

Ganga

Monday, March 21, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi All,

I got the soluction for above problem.

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi UC,

Did you installed RTC Instance In that server, If Please check the SQL Service account. It should NTAuthority\Networkservices and change it and restart. It will resolve your problem. It should not AD user account.

Send your feedback..

Regards

Ganga

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Also encountered this problem. windows server installed on the VM Ware.

Help someone else (

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Hi All,

I'm installing for the first time Lync 2010 Standard Server.

Thx

Hi!

I want to add my opinion about your question. I used the Hyper-V with virtual network (domain), which includes several servers - DC and standalone (in domain). All servers are Windows 2008 R2 Rus.

As it was discussed in this forum, you are getting your error when you are trying to install Lync on DC. I've also got this error on DC in spite of earlier downloaded and changed in iso new sqlexpr64. Of course I tried to install SQL Instance using the commandline:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Lync Server\Deployment\cache\4.0.7457.0\SQLEXPR_x64.exe" /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,Tools /INSTANCENAME=RTC /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic

but there was no the proper effect.

This problem was solved when I installed Lync on empty standalone server using this modified iso.

Also this problem may be caused by damaged iso.

• Proposed as answer by tambovkazak Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:54 AM

• Hi All,

I'm installing for the first time Lync 2010 Standard Server.

Thx

Hi,

I've hit this error as well. I'm installing on a freestanding server that is not a DC. Various posts lead me to look at the install log which, on my system is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\summary.txt. Just a few lines into that log there's an entirely appropriate link that references SQL Event Id 5000. Pasting that link into a browser yields an immediate hit telling me that SQL Server Native Client is already installed. It IS already installed on my system because an earlier step in the walkthrough I'm using told me to install the SQL Server Native Client on BOTH the Director and Standard Edition Servers.

The "fix" advice is to uninstall the existing version of SQL Server Native Client, which I will now try.

OK, uninstalled the SQL Server Native Client ONLY (there were several other SQL components also listed in "Add/remove programs) by right-clicking it in Control Panel, Programs. This time it did not bomb immediately - wait - OK, success! The last lines in the Wizard's log are "Checking Prerequisite SqlExpressRtc...installing...success." Then there are a few netsh lines that set firewall holes and that's it. Phew! So now I have a nice green "Tick" against "Prepare First Standard Edition Server" in the Deployment Wizard.

So if you hit "Checking prerequisite SqlExpressRtc...installing...failure code -2068578304", this is most likely your issue. I'm not running on a DC and have no reboot/GPO issues like others here.

A case of "RTFM", or perhaps Read the * logs!"?

Good luck to all.

Richard

RS
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:10 PM
  • what was the solution?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:07 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2522454

Although that didnt seem to work either.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Hi, I also have the same problem "Installing OcsCore.msi(Feature_LocalMgmtStore)...failure code 1603 Error returned while installing OcsCore.msi(Feature_LocalMgmtStore), code 1603. Please consult log at Add-OcsCore.msi-Feature_LocalMgmtStore-[2011_03_10][12_51_21].log ..

pls help me if you have solution to clear this error, thanks you very much,, you can reach to my mail

tinmyint@hotmail.com  

thanks, 

tinmyint

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

i had a similar problem and found the solution by manually installing the SQL Instance with the following commandline:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Lync Server\Deployment\cache\4.0.7457.0\SQLEXPR_x64.exe" /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,Tools /INSTANCENAME=RTC /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic

In my case the problem was a pendig reboot caused by an GPO, which installed a printer driver on every boot

This should be automatic in standard versions ? NO ? I've deployed standard version a few times and i never had to install it manually. Maybe one of the prereqs are missing.

Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )
    Z-Term -- Automate IT account termination process ( AD / Exchange )

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:44 AM
  • Well it's a shame because i can not find a good answer, BUT, based on PBXIT's answer i proposse the following answer:

D:\Setup\amd64\SQLEXPR_x64.exe" /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,Tools /INSTANCENAME=RTC /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic

Where "D:" is the letter of the DVD or the folder contain the installation files.

Hope is helpful

Emilio I. Wilde

Emilio I. Wilde

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:42 PM
  • I received similar error but mine was due to insufficient disk space
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:15 PM
  • pls how did you correct the sql parth to the installation directory

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:48 PM
  • I have exactly in same situation. I have sql server 2008 already installed for Sharepoint and Lync is trying to install sql 2012 and it fails. Didnt find the solution yet. 
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:40 AM
  •  I received similar error but mine was due to insufficient disk space.

You are legend. whole day I was trying different thing but increasing disk space solve the issue.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:10 AM