none
IE crashes when i click on a link to open a word document.

Question

• I have IE 6 SP2. When users click on an MS Word document URL, some machines running IE will see IE crash while on some microsoft word automatically shuts down.

If i copy the URL for the word document and paste it in the browser the document opens up without any issues.

I think saw this behaviour after a MS security update was automatically updated on the machine this week, but i am not sure.

The event log contains the following error, the machines are scanned for spyware etc and they seem to be clean.

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2945, fault address 0x00012a5b.

any suggests to fix this would help.

thanks

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:39 AM Admin question (Moved from SharePoint - Design and Customization to SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Friday, February 23, 2007 7:06 PM

Answers

• I had 2 different versions of this DLL.  The second one was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 11\OWSSUPP.DLL.  I renamed each one to OWSSUPP-OLD.DLL and rebooted.

This stopped the IE crashes.  The Word doc opened in the browser.  "Edit in Word" displayed a dialog box that there wasn't a WSS compatible editor available.

I ran Repair in Word 2003 and the Office 11 version of the DLL was restored but "Edit in Word" acted the same.

The only Office 2007 application I have on my "Office 2003" laptop is SharePoint Designer 2007.  In SPD, I ran Help-Office Diagnostics.  It restored the Office 12 version of OWSSUPP.DLL.

I closed IE7 and reopened it.  IE7 will now correctly launch Word 2007 from my WSS 3.0 sites without crashing.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:23 AM

All replies

•  

We see the same error on some computers here too.

We have tried rolling back from IE 7 to 6, disabling bugs, trying to pick possibly updates that might have caused it to no success.

Regards,
    Andrew

Monday, February 26, 2007 12:31 AM
  •  

The same problem, still no solution

Regards,

Igor

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:23 AM
  •  

Okay, i found a solution, the following worked for me and another computer at work:

Step 1: Delete C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12\OWSSUPP.DLL     (looks like Outlook Web SharePoint Support to me)

Run the MS Office Diagnostic Tool in your start menu (MS Office/MS Office Tools)

It should find one error and fix it for you.

Then restart.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Cool, thanks a lot!!!
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:54 AM
  • thanks ....great.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Andrew,  your solution worked..
    Friday, March 02, 2007 6:38 PM
  • The solution worked for me as well. Thanks.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Solution worked great after I actually followed directions and restarted.

Thanks!

Friday, March 23, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Ok, We had this too.

The problem is the user that has this problem probably has some older office app also installed on his pc.

I think this is what happens (at least I think it happend in our case)

- user got new laptop with off2007 and visio 2003

- use goes to sharepoint for the first time and the first documnet opened is a visio one (opens correctly)

- in IE the above mentioned dll is registered as a plugin but... the 2003 version of the dll is used (each version has it's own version of this dll)

- User tries to open word doc and that's where the old dll messes up IE because it has to address word2007.

I disabled the plugin in IE (logged in as admin) and then let the user login and try to open word doc. Error gone.

Hope this helps.

Friday, March 23, 2007 11:43 PM
  • I have a very similar issue, but I'm not sure which plug-in to disable.  This user is having an issue with some of the links which I'm told open html files.  How do you determine which plug-in is the culprit?  I'll need to double check on the versions of Office & Visio if they would still be involved in the problem, but I think they are running Office 2003 with Visio 2007.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 3:57 PM
  • thanks a bunch AndrewEEE!
    worked fine with IE7 / WSS 3.0 / Office 2003
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 9:03 PM
  • I had 2 different versions of this DLL.  The second one was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 11\OWSSUPP.DLL.  I renamed each one to OWSSUPP-OLD.DLL and rebooted.

This stopped the IE crashes.  The Word doc opened in the browser.  "Edit in Word" displayed a dialog box that there wasn't a WSS compatible editor available.

I ran Repair in Word 2003 and the Office 11 version of the DLL was restored but "Edit in Word" acted the same.

The only Office 2007 application I have on my "Office 2003" laptop is SharePoint Designer 2007.  In SPD, I ran Help-Office Diagnostics.  It restored the Office 12 version of OWSSUPP.DLL.

I closed IE7 and reopened it.  IE7 will now correctly launch Word 2007 from my WSS 3.0 sites without crashing.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Pour moi ,

la dll a été istallée par Microsoft Expression Web

elle se trouve dans le répertoire :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Office12

je l'ai renommé en OWSSUPP.new.dll

je peux de nouveau ouvrir mes documents word sur sharepoint

Expression Web fonctionne toujours

Merci AndrewEEE

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:57 PM
  • we have seen this also when there are other MS apps installed such as Visio, Project, Visual Studio that had a different version than the Office apps (Word, Excel...).  Often a Detect and Repair on the Office apps did the job too.
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Thanks, had the same issue and it was solved by applying your solution!

Remo
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:43 PM
  • These are my conditions:

SharePoint Service V.3.0

IE ver 6

Microsoft Office 2003

When I try to access Calendar in SharePoint then IE crash.

Event Id: 1000

Source: Application Error

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2945, fault address 0x00012a5b.

Thanks Andrewe, your solution work.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:43 PM
  • These are known issues and can be fixed using the steps already outlined in this thread. The official MS KB's are http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833714 (can't open, no compat app), http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938888 (IE crash).

Chris

Friday, August 03, 2007 5:26 PM
  • Our situation was just that...  MS Office 2003 and Project 2007 were installed side by side on the same machine.  Installing the MS hotfix KB938888 resolved our problem.  Thanks.

Friday, August 03, 2007 5:34 PM
  • My current issue:-

on a sharepoint page i click on 'Actions' tab then select 'Edit in Datasheet'  and i see the following error message

"The list cannot be displayed in Datasheet view for one or more of the following reasons: A datasheet component compatible with Windows SharePoint Services is not installed, your browser does not support ActiveX controls, or support for ActiveX controls is disabled. "

I am using XP professional, IE 6.02 to access the sharepoint site.

I was hoping that the hot fix would fix that issue, but it did not. bulk editing is a nice feature that i would like to use but i have never been able to. The link to export data to Excel works fine.

if anyone has suggestions, thanks in advance

a23rd.

Friday, August 03, 2007 6:05 PM
  • That worked. Thanks!!!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Thanks for the great post.

That solved my problems.

Strange that this happens since I just run Office 2007 Pro. No other Office products installed.

Well I'm now happy browsing our WSS documents again.

Friday, October 19, 2007 6:54 AM
  • i have office 2007,

Visio 2003

Project 2003

IE 6.0.2 sp2

I try the listed step but still get the ie crashed error.

I have also installed the hotfix for 2007

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Hi

Wat was the solotion for the problem?

Thanks,

Avi

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:38 PM
  • I'm marked my specific answer (on page 1 of this thread) as the answer.  Check out pag 1.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:29 PM
  •  

Iam, uninstall FlashGet
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Yahoo!  After a frustrating 3 days of watching IE and Firefox both crash after clicking on any Office document link in Sharepoint Server 2003 sites, AndrewEEE's solution worked for me.

Thank you very much.

See his solution further up in this thread.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Thanks, works great.  I also saw it crash when I would just access a sharepoint list, without opening a document or other object.  I am running IE 6, all 2003 apps except Sharepoint Designer 2007 and Project 2007.  It could also happen if you had prior installations of mis-matched software versions on the machine. 

You saved me from upgrading to IE 7 which has its own share of sharepoint problems.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Many Thanks AndrewEEE,  it works for me !
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:37 PM
  • i'm having a similar problem:

on a sharepoint page i click on 'Actions' tab then select 'Edit in Datasheet' & IE crashes!

i don't get the error you got though.  IE simply crashes immediately when i select this action from the menu. 

i am using XP pro, IE 6.02 to access the wss 3.0 site

did you ever find a solution? 

can someone please help?

thanx!!

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:00 PM