none
Exchange 2013, do I need cas array configuration?

Question

• Hello,

I have a setup of 2 mailbox servers and 2 cas servers (cas1.demo.local, cas2.demo.local).

Created dns-round-robin for the two cas servers.

Created host A record for cas.demo.local

Setup internal url's  to point cas.demo.local

I'm planing to test loadbalancer for the cas-services.

Do I need to setup CAS-Array?

Im getting error from the "New-ClientAccessArray" cmdlet

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-ClientAccessArray
    New-ClientAccessArray : The term 'New-ClientAccessArray' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script fi
    le, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and
     try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + New-ClientAccessArray
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (New-ClientAccessArray:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Yours,

Jouni

Monday, January 7, 2013 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi

Exchange 2013 doesn't use CAS Arrays as there is no MAPI support except via RPC/HTTP which doesn't use the CAS Array object in 2010 either.

Cheers, Steve

• Marked as answer by JPeltonen Monday, January 7, 2013 2:04 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi

Exchange 2013 doesn't use CAS Arrays as there is no MAPI support except via RPC/HTTP which doesn't use the CAS Array object in 2010 either.

Cheers, Steve

• Marked as answer by JPeltonen Monday, January 7, 2013 2:04 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I wonder why New-ClientAccessArray cmdlet is still in Exchange 2013 documentation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351149.aspx

Yours,

Jouni

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:04 PM
  • No problem Jouni.

There are some other commands that are still included like Get-LogonStatistics which have also been removed from 2013 but still appear on TechNet so I guess the documentation will be updated soon.

Cheers, Steve

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hello Jouni,

If two CAS available in my network and CAS Array no longer available in Server 2013 than how to configure Outlook???

Thanks........

Friday, March 1, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Hi

The CAS Array object does not exist in 2013 because there is no RPC (MAPI) from the clients to the CAS.  All traffic is done over HTTPS port 443 so you will need to use some mechanism to load balance this traffic.

Cheers, Steve

Friday, March 1, 2013 7:48 AM
  • steve:

If purchasing a load balance isn't an option due to budget issue, is there a way to utilize WNLB instead?

Friday, March 8, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Hi

You can use WNLB but you will need to have CAS servers that are separate from servers which are members of the DAG.

Cheers, Steve

Sunday, March 10, 2013 3:35 PM
  • As I understood it, the individual servers still use their individual names ... you still need to configure exchange to use only one name ... the difference is that it is a lot simpler now. with exchange 2010 you had to use

new-clientaccessarray -name -fqdn -siteand afterwards you had to configure the mailboxdatabases to use the array with

set-mailboxdatabase database -rpclientaccessserver name of the array

then with the advent of exchange 2013 u just use

get-outlookanywhere |set-outlookanywherer -internalname -externalname

it is the -internalname with set-outlookanywhere that is new. In exchange 2010 you only could configure the externalname with set-outlook-anywhere and therefore you had to use new-clienteaccessarray and set-mailboxdatabase

Mikael Ljung

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:17 AM
  • While the (RPC) CAS Array cmdlet does still exist in 2013, the only Exchange product to use it is 2010. If the value does exist in 2013 on a DB, you will end up with errors. It was a known issue.

NOTICE: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:56 AM