none
What is OST file and when did Outlook create this file and can they be exported and imported back to Outlook? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Recently when i was using MS Outlook due to some virus issues my almost all the applications stopped working and when i try to login to Outlook i am not unable to do it properly. I found its .ost file. Now i am thinking to again install MS Outlook, so should i go for another better application or stuck to Outlook? And if Outlook will automatically import this .ost file? What is the solution? 

All suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

Saturday, October 8, 2016 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Angelina,

You can take copy of .OST file, and remove it from default Outlook path. Re-Install Outlook, once you open it will ask to setup the account, when you setup the account using your credential it will create a new OST file and start sync with your mail server. All mails will be downloaded again to the new OST file.

OST means offline storage table, it is using by Microsoft Exchange mail server with MS Outlook.

Thanks

Prabodha

• Edited by PK Sarangi Saturday, October 8, 2016 10:10 AM
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 10:09 AM
  • I was trying to do the same but unfortunately unable to configure the account properly, earlier one of my friend configured my account and i don't know how will it be done now. Can I access this file using any other medium as i need to see some old emails with important attachments.
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Yes, there is no direct method to convert OST files plus there is no export option in MS Outlook. If you find any way to export OST files then, do let me know.  
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Hi Angelina,

It is strange that one of your friend configured your account! Is your email a personal account, which mail you are using? The OST file mainly belong to your corporate email ID, and your company exchange server. And your company IT person can only configure for you.

Thanks

Prabodha

Sunday, October 9, 2016 6:56 AM
  • If you can still connect to Exchange Server, just delete the OST file. As OST file is the replica of mailbox, so it will be automatically recreated when the next time your Outlook application gets connect/sync with Exchange. However, there is no method to import the ost file in Outlook but you may try to convert it into pst using 3rd party/vendor's software. You may also give a try to outlook scanpst.exe to repair the file if you think file got damaged after virus attack (not recommended because you can easily recreate it.).
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 6:39 AM

• Hi,

OST file is the replica of Exchange Server mailbox data and it can be created when Outlook is used in conjunction Exchange Server and cache exchange mode of Exchange is enabled. 
    It's very easy to export OST to PST as Outlook offers an inbuilt utility to export ost file to PST format but this utility will work only if your Exchange account is active. But there is no any inbuilt utility to import OST file to PST format. If you wish to import OST file then firstly you need to convert OST to PST format then use Outlook import option to import PST file Outlook. 

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:52 AM
  • As you should know OST and PST are outlook data files, they aren’t compatible. Thus, if you require saving OST file into PST format there is no direct process available. The only easy and simple way is to opt This OST to PST Exporter. It is reliable software which allows you to save OST file into PST format keeping the folder structure and other associated data intact.

sOFTKAEN ost to pst

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:03 AM
  • As you should know OST and PST are outlook data files, they aren’t compatible. Thus, if you require saving OST file into PST format there is no direct process available. The only easy and simple way is to opt This OST to PST Exporter. It is reliable software which allows you to save OST file into PST format keeping the folder structure and other associated data intact.

Visit at ; http://www.osttopstapp.com/

Friday, November 30, 2018 4:23 AM