Outlook 2016: How to move emails from a PST to a OST or set POP3 account default Data File a OST file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I migrated from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2016 and I'm getting the following issue:

I have multiple POP3 accounts and all these accounts were moved to a OST file. All the accounts were sharing the same file. The OST file was synced to Hotmail cloud service so I had all my email backed up.

Now, how do I do the same since I can't set as default data file the OST file?

Any thoughts?

Thanks on advance,

P/

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:39 PM

Answers

• I migrated from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2016 and I'm getting the following issue:

I have multiple POP3 accounts and all these accounts were moved to a OST file. All the accounts were sharing the same file. The OST file was synced to Hotmail cloud service so I had all my email backed up.

Just to clarify something from your description

#1 - Based on your description - you would originally have had your POP3 accounts delivered to an Outlook.com (HotMail) account which would have been using a PST file and connected via the Outlook Hotmail Connector which is no longer used in OL'2013/'2016 and the data store for that account would have changed to an .ost file.

#2 - The ONLY way any POP accounts were moved to an .ost file would have been if the delivery location for those POP3 accounts was to an IMAP / Exchange / Outlook.com <Inbox>. Under no way would any POP account that was being delivered to it's own pst based <Inbox> (or an <Inbox> of any other POP3 account be changed to be delivered to an .ost file - just would absolutely not happen.

So, in reference to your question,

#3 - What data file is currently set as the default for your profile? More specifically, what email account is this .ost file associated with since an .ost file cannot exist in an Outlook profile on it's own.

#4 - The one scenario where you an issue would arise assign an ost file as the default would be if there is a Exchange account configured in the profile

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:51 AM

All replies

• I migrated from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2016 and I'm getting the following issue:

Just to clarify something from your description

#1 - Based on your description - you would originally have had your POP3 accounts delivered to an Outlook.com (HotMail) account which would have been using a PST file and connected via the Outlook Hotmail Connector which is no longer used in OL'2013/'2016 and the data store for that account would have changed to an .ost file.

#2 - The ONLY way any POP accounts were moved to an .ost file would have been if the delivery location for those POP3 accounts was to an IMAP / Exchange / Outlook.com <Inbox>. Under no way would any POP account that was being delivered to it's own pst based <Inbox> (or an <Inbox> of any other POP3 account be changed to be delivered to an .ost file - just would absolutely not happen.

So, in reference to your question,

#3 - What data file is currently set as the default for your profile? More specifically, what email account is this .ost file associated with since an .ost file cannot exist in an Outlook profile on it's own.

#4 - The one scenario where you an issue would arise assign an ost file as the default would be if there is a Exchange account configured in the profile

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi

I have a similar problem.  I currently have a POP3 account, but wish to migrate this to an Exchange server account, with the same email provider. However, I do wish to maintain access to my extensive email archive; my .pst file is in the region of 10Gb.

Is it the case, from what I am reading above, that I can simply have the new account set up in Outlook, where it will generate a new .ost file, which will sync with the server, and then copy folders, subfolders or individual files from my current .pst file to the new .ost file where they will then sync across to the server and then down to any other devices that I might connect to the new account?

That would (I hope) work for my emails but how, then, would I identify my contacts - and especially contact groups - so that I can then sync them in the same way?

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:11 PM