none
SharePoint 2013 to SP2016 - Content db upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I am upgrading the Content DB from SP2013 to 2016. In the SP 2016 environment I created a new WebApp using the same URL (including name, port, and host header) with the current production URL.  I created an alternate-access mapping to point to the new web server. 

Example:

WebApp: http://old_url/

AAM: http://new_url/

Do I need to create an DNS mapping / alias to direct requests to point to the new URL?  Or does the AAM handle this?  Since the current production WebApp is using the old URL can it cause contention since the new environment is using the same URL?

Thanks,

Sean B

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:53 PM

Answers

• Did you remove the content database from the web application and SQL, perform a restore of your previous backup from the old farm, and then run through the process again?

AssignNewDatabaseId, while that will allow you to mount the database, will not allow you to access the site collections as they will have duplicate IDs.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, August 30, 2019 3:16 PM

All replies

• You would still need to create DNS record or if you're simply testing, modifying the client machine's hosts file. For Search on the new farm, you'll want to modify the hosts file on all SharePoint servers in the farm, as well.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 3:14 PM
  • Thanks Trevor.

I have stood up a single node test farm.  I have upgraded the content db setting the URL = http://old_url in the mount command.  I received an upgrade error because I don't have Report Server installed yet.

Is there a way to validate on the new host that the upgrade was successful and the site is available?  From the host when I ping the old url it is resolving to the current prod environment.  I tried accessing the AAM URL and that the page is not found also.  The documentation is not very descriptive as to how this is done.

Thanks,

Sean

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 3:57 PM
  • Edit the hosts file on your client, C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Point the hostname "old_url" to the IP of your FE. Then you can test from that client.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:17 PM
  • Thanks Trevor, I'm working on that now. 

I noticed that the content database is still "upgrading."  I received an error with the Power view integration feature and warning about a missing ReportViewer.dwp.  I will install SSRS in SP mode tomorrow and run the CDB upgrade again to see if that fixes my issues.

Thanks,

Sean

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:24 PM
  • Hi Sean, 

If there is anything update, feel free to let us know. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi Lisa, I'm still working through the upgrade.

I installed the SSRS in SP mode.  I then tried to upgrade the CDB again and it failed immediately with:

Mount-SPContentDatabase : The attach operation cannot continue because another object in this farm already contains the same ID. Each object in a farm must have a unique ID.

Can I re-run the mount command again and utilize the -AssignNewDatabaseId parameter?  Is there anything else that needs to happen?  Stopping services, dropping services?  Do I need to drop the Web App, copy over the original CBD and start over? 

Thanks,

Sean

Thursday, August 29, 2019 4:00 PM
  • Did you remove the content database from the web application and SQL, perform a restore of your previous backup from the old farm, and then run through the process again?

AssignNewDatabaseId, while that will allow you to mount the database, will not allow you to access the site collections as they will have duplicate IDs.

Trevor Seward

Friday, August 30, 2019 3:16 PM