none
New items/objects are not using White Space in Exchange database RRS feed

• Question

• Reference to below weblink and many other websites, The white space is reused by the Exchange database to store new items and objects, but our scenario it's not using white space and our white space is contently growing. It was working well few months ago. I know the other procedure (offline Fragment) to reclaim the white space or Move users on new DB. but i want to go with first option (Exchange database to store new items and objects). Your technical opinion would be highly appreciated. 

https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blog/how-to-remove-white-spaces-in-exchange-database/

Hussain Arif(Senior System Administrator)

Monday, May 13, 2019 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Hussain Arif,

As per my understanding, if there is available new mailbox space in the database, the size of database file won't increase when new items are created, because new items can use white space. If there is no white space, new items will make database file larger. The reason why white space grows can be that some contents are deleted from mailboxes or a few mailboxes are removed.

In your scenario, does the database file increase when new items are created in the database? If no, then the white space is used. When the size of deleted items is larger than created items, the white space can also grow. You can monitor the white space usage using the following command.

Get-MailboxDatabase <DB name> -Status | select Name,DatabaseSize,AvailableNewMailboxSpace

Regards, 

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:55 AM
  • Thanks for your response, i'm check the white space on daily basis via above command but white space is growing up rather than reduce, new items/emails consume size in database instead of white space. few days ago new items were using white space but now it's not working, please suggest a way to diagnose the issue. 

Exchange server is 2016

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:10 PM
  • OK. Thanks for detailed description.

It sounds odd. Can you see any related error in Event Viewer? Was there any change made to the database before the issue occurred?

Furthermore, how many databases have the issue? If only a few databases have the issue, there might be some corruption in the databases. In this case, I'd recommend you to move mailboxes to new DBs. I assume that could be more straightforward than investigating the root cause.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:18 AM
  • If there was a database has the issue then i definately move users on new DB but the issue is with all the databases new and old (total 10 databases have same issue). So it's difficult to migrate my all exchange users on new DB's therefore i'm diagnosing the root cause. 

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:47 PM
  • If there was a database has the issue then i definately move users on new DB but the issue is with all the databases new and old (total 10 databases have same issue). So it's difficult to migrate my all exchange users on new DB's therefore i'm diagnosing the root cause. 

So do you see any error in Event Viewer? Please check both application log and system log. 

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:53 AM
  • please confirm which event id i need to find under the application and system? 

Monday, May 20, 2019 5:40 AM
  • please confirm which event id i need to find under the application and system? 

It's hard to tell what event might cause the issue. Please filter logs by event source "ExchangeStoreDB", and select the Critical, Error, and Warning check boxes to view database-related error.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:46 AM