none
Upgrading DAG OS RRS feed

• Question

• We currently run a 2 node DAG cluster on Server 2008 R2.  With it's demise coming soon, I need to upgrade to a new OS.  Can 2013 run a DAG across 2 different OS's?  I know with 2012 and 2016 clustering has changed so am I stuck building a new cluster or can I setup a DAG node on Server 2016?
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 1:31 PM

All replies

• Exchange 2013 DAG requires that all of its members to have the same operating system. Otherwise, you won’t be able to add the server as a DAG member.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 1:38 PM
  • We currently run a 2 node DAG cluster on Server 2008 R2.  With it's demise coming soon, I need to upgrade to a new OS.  Can 2013 run a DAG across 2 different OS's?  I know with 2012 and 2016 clustering has changed so am I stuck building a new cluster or can I setup a DAG node on Server 2016?

Exch 2013 isnt supported on Windows 2016.

THe O/S must be the same in the DAG for all members

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/high-availability/manage-ha/dag-memberships?view=exchserver-2019

DAGs use Windows Failover Clustering (WFC) technologies. Each Mailbox server that's a member of a DAG is also a node in the underlying cluster used by the DAG. As a result, at any specific time, a Mailbox server can be a member of only one DAG. Because DAGs use WFC technology, all servers added to a DAG must be running the same operating system: either Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise or Datacenter Edition, or the Standard or Datacenter Edition of Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Ahmed Ibrahiem Elkhouly and Andy David. 

All DAG members must be installed on the same operating system, and Exchange 2013 cannot be installed on Windows server 2016. Here is a table identifying the operating system platforms on which each version of Exchange can run:

For reference: Supported operating system platforms

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 26, 2019 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful.

If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:11 AM