none
Office 2010 install breaks Snipping tool

Question

• I'm aware of the other two threads on this issue, but neither one has an answer to the problem for my situation...  and they don't seem to be getting any attention anymore.  I'm hoping someone else has seen this recently.

After doing a full install of office 2010 on windows 7 64 pro, I get this error with the snipping tool "The Snipping Tool is not working on your computer right now. Restart your computer, and then try again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."

uninstalling office 2010 and reinstalling office 2007 does not fix the error

uninstalling the tablet pc components, rebooting and reinstalling the components does not fix the error

disabling UAC, DOES fix the error.  But this is a poor solution.

Anyone have any other suggestions?  If this was only happening on one machine I'd just reload windows, but it's happening on several and now I'm holding off on deploying 2010 at all until I figure out what causes this.

Thanks,

Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I tested this out with installing Office 2010 32 bit and 64 bit, on Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. In all of the cases, the Windows snipping tool seems to work fine. I had UAC on at the default level and at the maximum level during the tests, and it does not seem to affect anything with the snipping tool.

I would suspect there is something on your environment that is causing the issue. In case you want to troubleshoot this in depth, I would recommend getting a support ticket open with our Windows teams. You can find support options at the http://support.microsoft.com/oas page.

Hope this helps

Tarak Chakraborty - MSFT 

Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't the snipping tool come with Windows and not Office, so how does the uninstall/reinstall of Office have anything to do with this?

Me thinks it is a patch or update from MS that may be causing the issue.  See if you can go back to your last update and if it works then.

cheers

Tom

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:36 PM