none
Cannot find SCANPST.EXE anywhere on my Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two computers one running Windows 7 Ultimate, the other running Windows 8.1 Pro.  I have Office Professional Plus 2013 installed on both. On both compters I an unable to locate the SCANPST.EXE file.  I can find the DLL files in the expected folder locations but not the .EXE.  Re-installing Office made no difference. My search includes hidden files, system files and exe's to no avail.

Please help !

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:07 AM

Answers

• Nope ! It's not in any of those folders. Trust me its just not there !  I resolved this in the end by locating another PC running Office Professional 2013 and copied it to USB and then to my laptop. The really weird thing is that I CAN locate and find the SCANDLL files, but just not the SCANPST.EXE file...

After some more searching on the internet it seems this problem is not uncommon !

Bizarre !

Thanks for trying to help anyway... :-)

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:44 PM

All replies

• Did you install the tool set ? more information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227/nl
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Where are you looking?
    It is in the same directory as outlook.exe.

See: Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

Scanpst.exe is installed when you install Outlook. The default location of the tool is:

C:\Program Files|Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office1

If you cannot find the Scanpst.exe file by using Search, check the following locations for the file. Where the file is located depends on which version of Windows that you are running:

• <var>disk drive</var>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICEnn
      where nn is 10 for Office XP, 11 for Office 2003, 12 for the 2007 Office system, and 15 for Office 2013
    • <var>disk drive</var>:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
    • <var>disk drive</var>:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT
    • <var>disk drive</var>:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
    • <var>disk drive</var>:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Officenn
      where nn is 10 for Office XP, 11 for Office 2003, 12 for the 2007 Office system, and 15 for Office 2013
    • <var>disk drive</var>:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
    • <var>disk drive</var>:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

More reference about how to find and use this tool, please refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/en-us

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:12 AM
  • What is the bitness of your Office 2013, for 32bit and 64bit version,  they are also installed on different locations. You can find more info about scanpst location at:

http://www.datanumen.com/outlook-repair/articles/scanpst.htm

You may also get an old version at

http://www.datanumen.com/download/scanpst.exe

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Not sure what you mean - the link you posted results in "Something went wrong and we can't sign you in at the moment. Please try again later"....

And I'm already signed in !

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Everywhere ! and No it is NOT in the same folder as Outlook.exe ! I checked the folders referred to in the link you posted too - to no avail.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Nope ! It's not in any of those folders. Trust me its just not there !  I resolved this in the end by locating another PC running Office Professional 2013 and copied it to USB and then to my laptop. The really weird thing is that I CAN locate and find the SCANDLL files, but just not the SCANPST.EXE file...

After some more searching on the internet it seems this problem is not uncommon !

Bizarre !

Thanks for trying to help anyway... :-)

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:44 PM
  • 32 bit Office 2013 running on 64 bit Windows. And the Scanpst file isn't in any of the folders mentioned in the articles you referenced. Solved it by copying over the file from another PC !!

Thanks

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:46 PM
  • It's strange, every installation of Outlook will contain the Inbox Repair Tool unless you haven't installed Office fully.

Anyway, copying it from another computer is of course a workaround for the issue.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here
    Friday, August 22, 2014 2:34 AM
  • I know I have had it on my PC and used in the past.  I have never deleted it.  But a search of the whole of C: with Windows Explorer does not find it.

Very annoying for people to keep being told where it is when people seem to be like me and have lost it.

Could Windows be deleting for some reason?  I have certainly never deleted it.

Still looking for a copy.

Just searched the laptop and similarly not there even though I have used it in the past.

MB

Friday, September 7, 2018 2:20 PM