none
Move Hub/Cas Role to a new server without downtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We currently have one Exchange 2010 server with Mailbox, Hub Transport and Client Access roles installed in one server, I plan to do the following:

Move roles into four new servers (2 servers for Mailbox and 2 servers for HUB/CAS)

I follow all the steps and everythink is worked well, except the CAS role

My problem is the outllok clients still use the old CAS server

when i ask users to change their profil to connect to the new CAS/HUB server, it works without probmes.

My question is How can I do this without ask all users to change their outlook settings. without downtime ?? 

Thanks

Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

Is your Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2010? Note that Outlook 2003 could not update it's profile automatically.

I agree with Gulab that you should point all mailbox database to the new CAS servers, and then restart Exchange information store service on all mailbox servers where user mailboxes resided on. Doing so makes Outlook connect to new CAS server next time it restarts.

If the issue continues, please run Get-MailboxDatabase |ft rpcclientaccessserver to check if all are pointting to the new CAS servers.

thanks.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:38 AM
  • Run this command to associate the database to CAS Server
    Set-MailboxDatabase “Database Name” -RpcClientAccessServer “CAS_Server_Name”

Gulab Prasad,
    Exchange Ranger
    Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:47 AM

All replies

• Run this command to associate the database to CAS Server
    Set-MailboxDatabase “Database Name” -RpcClientAccessServer “CAS_Server_Name”

Gulab Prasad,
    Exchange Ranger

Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Hi Gulab,

i did this command (set-mailboxdatabase) but my problem is the users not the server

i follow all the steps.

how can users connect to the new CAS server without changing their profil (need some downtime).

i want to automate this change.

Thx

Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:09 AM
  • It's an automated process after you run that command, and when user restart there outlook it should go to CAS server associated with the mailbox database where their mailboxes are residing.

Did you asked them to restart there outlook? I hope Autodiscover is working fine.

Gulab Prasad,
    Exchange Ranger

Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Hi Gulab,

Firstly thanks for your help.

The autodiscover works fine.When I point the Databases to the new CAS, usesr don't redirect automatically.

I looked for this problem in the net, I found that I should you use a PRF file to force the client's redirection to the new CAS or delete the DNS record of the old server ???

I don't know ? what i should do ?

I need yourt advice.

Thanks

Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:17 PM
  • It seems you will have to restart the servers.

Gulab Prasad,
    Exchange Ranger

Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Hi Gulab,

I restarted the server.

no thing happen, always the same problem ??

Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:20 PM
  • I hope you restarted all the servers!

Gulab Prasad,
    Exchange Ranger

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:57 AM
  • This could be by design. When did you create the CAS Array? Sounds like you may have moved users to the MBX server before creating the CASArray. If so, then look here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/e8b2e5fc-4cfe-4103-b0eb-71af36712152/

It's an ugly situation to be in. Moral of story, please create CASArray before moving users to Exchange 2010 MBX servers.

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:30 AM
  • Hi there,

Is your Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2010? Note that Outlook 2003 could not update it's profile automatically.

I agree with Gulab that you should point all mailbox database to the new CAS servers, and then restart Exchange information store service on all mailbox servers where user mailboxes resided on. Doing so makes Outlook connect to new CAS server next time it restarts.

If the issue continues, please run Get-MailboxDatabase |ft rpcclientaccessserver to check if all are pointting to the new CAS servers.

thanks.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:38 AM