none
Office 2016 Office Customization Tool Auto_Activate does not work for MAK RRS feed

• Question

• I have customized the Office Professional Plus 2016 installer that I downloaded from the Volume License site.

In the Modify Setup properties, I have added a property named AUTO_ACTIVATE with a value of 1. I also have the product key entered in the licensing section of OCT.

With previous versions of Office, this would auto-activate the product at install. With Office 2016, it is still wanting to activate when you launch a product like Word or Excel. You can tell it to activate via Internet and it succeeds immediately. Has the property or value for Office 2016 changed? I cannot find any documentation anywhere on it. Instead it directs you to the Office 2013 documentation. I have tried multiple installs on different computers running Windows 8.1.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The workaround described at this link worked for me - http://techallan.blogspot.dk/2015/10/microsoft-office-2016-and-autoactivate.html

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:48 AM
  • First of all, I solved this issue with a small workaround.

I tried the suggestion and added the script call to "Add installations and run programs" without success. I thought it was a timing problem, so I wrote a small command line app that calls the same wmi methods for activating office (like the VBS Script), with a 15 seconds delay and this works!

How the App works:

1. You have to place the app on a network share.

2. Invoke the app at the end of the OCT setup (Add installations and run programs)

3. When the app will be started it checks if there were command line arguments passed to it, if they are not present, it will start it self again with the argument "/act", the first instance will be exited, so the OCT setup can get finished.

4. The second instance of the app (started in point 3) will wait 15 seconds and then it calls the wmi activate methods extracted from the vbs script.

5. You can also check %TEMP%\ActivateOffice16.log, the app will write a small log file with informations.

That's it, office was successfully activated.

You find the app here and source for those that are interessed here.

Christian Wall Developer @ buetema-ag

Sunday, October 18, 2015 9:33 AM

All replies

• I'm in the same boat. I've pretty much followed the same procedures as 2013 and have noticed the same.

Have you tried using a config file? I'm going to try that now. If it works, I'll share.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Yes, same problem here.

I've tried using AUTOACTIVATE (without the underscore), which appears in some examples of a config xml file (which can be found around the web), but no luck either. Tried uppercase and lowercase - nothing!!

Also used "cscript ospp.vbs /dhistoryacterr" command to see if it reports any errors, and nothing (ospp.vbs can be found at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16).

Looks like a bug to me!!

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Yeah, I tried with the xml as well. No luck.

For me, the cscript command to activate does work (see below). The trick is to automate it.

Anyone have any advice on how to get SCCM 2012 to simply run the command for machines in my collection?

cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /act 

I've created both a Package and an Application, but it does not seem to work.

Not sure of the best way to get SCCM to simply run my batch file?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 3:52 PM
  • Has anybody else made any progress on this short of sending out an activation package? I've checked the installation logs and they clearly show that AUTO_ACTIVATE has been parsed from the config file, and I see no errors either in the log or by running cscript ospp.vbs /dhistoryacterr but users get presented with an activation window. Choosing to activate goes straight through, so the license is also clearly being installed correctly from the config file.  

Driving me crazy.

[For the record, I'm using Win 7x64 and Office x64 ]
    • Edited by a321232000 Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:57 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Has anybody else made any progress on this short of sending out an activation package? I've checked the installation logs and they clearly show that AUTO_ACTIVATE has been parsed from the config file, and I see no errors either in the log or by running cscript ospp.vbs /dhistoryacterr but users get presented with an activation window. Choosing to activate goes straight through, so the license is also clearly being installed correctly from the config file.  

Driving me crazy.

[For the record, I'm using Win 7x64 and Office x64 ]
    Nope, having the same issues here.  Setup a custom MSP with the AUTO_ACTIVATE option, and am seeing the same results.  Tried it on Windows 10 Enterprise with 32-bit Office, so OS and architecture don't seem to make a difference.  Like your results, activation works with the supplied key, and all other settings are getting recognized except for activation.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 1:26 PM
  • Having the same problem here.

SCCM admins could solve this by making an activation application, which depends on the full Office 2016 application. Then you could just deploy the activation app and it would install both.

Or you could script an install which first runs setup.exe and then the cscript.

Or to retroactively fix non-activated installs, you could use a Configuration Item/Baseline with a PowerShell script for check & remediate.

But I think what we all want is for AUTO_ACTIVATE to simply work! :)

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:13 PM
  • Same issue here trying to make a package with OCT. Activation works manually after the fact but Auto fails both with OCT and the old way that worked in 2013 with the xml file.
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:40 PM
  • In OCT under "Setup" there is "Add installations and run programs" part. Maybe we can use this to run that cscript
    Friday, October 16, 2015 6:42 AM
  • First of all, I solved this issue with a small workaround.

I tried the suggestion and added the script call to "Add installations and run programs" without success. I thought it was a timing problem, so I wrote a small command line app that calls the same wmi methods for activating office (like the VBS Script), with a 15 seconds delay and this works!

How the App works:

1. You have to place the app on a network share.

2. Invoke the app at the end of the OCT setup (Add installations and run programs)

3. When the app will be started it checks if there were command line arguments passed to it, if they are not present, it will start it self again with the argument "/act", the first instance will be exited, so the OCT setup can get finished.

4. The second instance of the app (started in point 3) will wait 15 seconds and then it calls the wmi activate methods extracted from the vbs script.

5. You can also check %TEMP%\ActivateOffice16.log, the app will write a small log file with informations.

That's it, office was successfully activated.

You find the app here and source for those that are interessed here.

Christian Wall Developer @ buetema-ag

Sunday, October 18, 2015 9:33 AM
  • Hi Christian,

Thanks for the post, I have just tried this now to no avail; do you need to enter any details in the "ActivateOffice.exe.config" file...?
    Thanks

Jan

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

The workaround described at this link worked for me - http://techallan.blogspot.dk/2015/10/microsoft-office-2016-and-autoactivate.html

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:48 AM