Custom 3d model with animations: selectable and playable in 3d Viewer, but not in PowerPoint... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - i've been sent here after some back n forth with a MS Agent on Answers.Microsoft.  I'm pasting my original post below, as it explains the conundrum:

---

Hello all - I am a long time 3d-generalist and presentation consultant.  

I have been trying on and off to test importing custom 3d models (with animations) into Powerpoint

I have managed to get my exported model (3ds max > Babylon plugin > GLB format) to work wonderfully in 3d Viewer; i.e. I can select the animations just fine.  

Powerpoint is a different matter.  It will import the GLB model just fine, however it does not recognize the animations that are embedded into the model - they are not available to me as "scenes" in the 3d-specific animations.   

Why would 3d Viewer recognize the animations, but Powerpoint not?  Any suggestions on what more to test/check would be much appreciated.

Best,

-Zafe

Thursday, July 2, 2020 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Zafe,

The feature Insert animated 3D graphics is available only to Microsoft 365 Subscribers for Windows desktop clients. Could you tell me the detailed version/build information of PowerPoint you are using? Please make sure you have installed the latest update for your Microsoft 365 apps.

Based on your description, I know that you are using the animated 3D graphics ( GLB format files) exported by the 3rd-party software 3ds Max. 

As far as I know, GLB is recommended when exporting to the glTF format for Office. Office is using a real-time Rasterization renderer to create the resulting images you see when you insert a 3D model. glTF, or GL Transmission Format is the open source 3D file format used by Office to store and render all 3D models. Many different 3D file formats can be imported and are automatically converted to glTF before rendering in Office. Because of this, it is important to understand the feature set of the glTF specification. GLB is the binary version of glTF , which allows you to store complex 3D assets in a single file for maximum portability. For more information, read 3D Content Guidelines for Microsoft.

From my point of view, it seems to a compatibility issue about GLB format(exported by the 3rd-party software) used in PowerPoint. You can try to import the animated 3D graphics into 3D Viewer first. Then use the feature "Save as" to export and get new GLB format graphics. Then insert these animated 3D graphics to your presentations in PowerPoint.

Hope the information was helpful. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, July 3, 2020 6:32 AM
  • Hello Herb, thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.  Since you have dug into the issue, let me elaborate a bit:

My PPT: Microsoft 365 for Business - Version 2005 (Build 12827.20336 Click-to-run)  

1. Among the workflows i have tried: - 3ds max export to GLTF (via Babylon.js) -> Then export to GLB using Babylon viewer.  This file will render in 3D Viewer AND the animations will be present and selectable.  But not in Powerpoint.
    2. I have also tried the additional step of taking this GLB file and saving it out again from 3D Viewer (so refrying the GLB, if you know the jargon from PDF world.)  The behavior of this new GLB does not change, I still cannot view the animations in Powerpoint
    3. Interestingly, if i try to view the GLTF file from (1) directly in 3D Viewer, that's a No-Go. 

Here is some additional intel:

-      I have dug into the files of existing animated 3D models that you can download from within Powerpoint. 

-      Those files were created with a GLTF generator called "Microsoft GLTF Exporter 2.8.3.17". 

-      From what I gather, this converts GLTFs to GLBs and appears to be made for Hololens.  It is a command line program that I have downloaded but have yet to get it to work in any capacity.   

-      This I’m throwing in so you don’t think I tried this once or twice and wrote you folks – I’ve literally spent a few afternoons on this, because it would be worth the effort if I could get it to run.

That’s the intel fit to print right now.  Curious as to your thoughts and reactions.  Thanks Herb.

-Zafe

Friday, July 3, 2020 2:20 PM
  • Hi Zafe,

Thanks for your sharing and reply. But new users in this forum could not upload links or pictures before their accounts verified.

Please reply in the thread below, it would speed up the verification for your account.

Verify Accounts 43

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:57 AM
  • hi Emily - i have made the request.  many thanks!

-Zafe

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:41 PM
  • Hi Zafe,

Did you verify your account?

If you can upload screenshot, please share the picture here.

This “Office 2016, Office 2019, and Office 365 ProPlus - IT Pro Discussions” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Emi

"Office" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Office" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:52 AM
  • hi Emi - it looks like the account was indeed verified, thank you!

that said, there is no visual i can offer that will illustrate the problem more than the description above.  There seems to be a disconnect b/w what the 3D_Content_Guidelines say versus what is actually happening in 3d Viewer and the 3D engine in PowerPoint.  

3D Viewer will access the saved animations in my model, but those animations are not available in PowerPoint, when i import the same model.  

I don't know what else to try to make custom animations accessible in PowerPoint...any suggestions or avenues to explore would be much appreciated.

-Zafe

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:25 PM