none
SharePoint Search Service stuck at "stopping" RRS feed

  • Question

  • Greetings,

    I've got a SharePoint 2007, with one front end server and one backend server.

    After a bunch of Windows updates and a reboot I checked the event log and noticed a lot of 6641 errors. We had recently changed the domain admin password, but not any of the moss service account passwords. I saw a thread in here that talked of stopping the Office Sharepoint Server Search and then resetting the password. So in Central Administration, Operations, Services on Server, I told the service to stop. It went to stopping. For hours, now days.

    I then researched the search service getting stuck on stopping in here as well. Here is what I've tried so far:

    stsadm -o osearch -action stop - which timed out without stopping the service.

    Using task manager, ended task on all mssearch.exe, then rebooted the machine - still shows as stopping.

    net stop osearch - eventually returns service could not be stopped.

    tasklist /svc, noted PID for osearch, used taskkill /PID XXXX /f, reported that it was successful, rebooted server, still shows as stopping.

    The other symptom is than I have not been able to go into Shared Services, Search Settings. It just never loads the page.

    Any suggestions as to next steps would be greatly appreciated.


    Namcy Manheimer
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

  • Thanks for the suggestons.

    I ended up opening a service call with support. Long story very short, the cause was installing SP3 with windows updates (and not paying attention that this was being done), and not running the configuration wizard afterward. The configuration wizard could not run with the search service in an error state, and the search service couldn't run correctly until the configuration finished. In the end we found that if we disabled the Office Search Service in services.msc and rebooted the server that the configuration wizard could run to completion. Then we were able to set the search service back to automatic and everything was happy.

    Lesson: Pay attention to what updates you are actually loading.


    Namcy Manheimer
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:00 PM

All replies

  • go to Services.msc > Disable and stop Osearch service on the Index Server

    Reboot

    Run

    stsadm -o osearch -action stop

     


    Regards, Vishwas
    Monday, November 7, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Thank you very much. That did the trick.

    I did as you said above. Then in the services.msc I put the search service back to automatic and did another reboot. I was then able use the central administration, operations, services on server, and start the search service. I could then get into Shared Services, search settings. The system told me I needed to associate with an index server so I set it and entered the correct password.

    My search service is still not working. I'm now getting 10032, 10036, 10038, 10040 and 10039 events. And still a lot of 6641 events. Once again I can't get  Shared Services, Search Settings. It just doesn't load.

    It looks like I may have a corrupted index database, but at least I can move forward with sorting that out. Any advice is most welcome...N


    Namcy Manheimer
    Monday, November 7, 2011 4:28 PM

  • Any Disk Fragmentation utility running on the SharePoint Servers? This shall corrupt the index and would stop crawling.

     

    1) Using Central Admin, stop the Office SharePoint Server Search service on all theservers.
    2) Once they are all stopped, delete the index on the query servers.
    3) Use the Central Admin to start the Office SharePoint Server Search service on the index server only.
    4) Once started, use the following commands on the Query servers to start the service and configure the propagation share.

    NOTE: DRIVE:\PathToIndex in the below commands is the local path (not the share) to the location to store the index on the query servers.

    Run the following command from 12\bin location in command prompt

    stsadm -o osearch -action start -role Query -defaultindexlocation DRIVE:\PathToIndex

    This will configure the share.
    stsadm -o osearch -propagationlocation DRIVE:\PathToIndex

    5) Assign the SSP to the indexer.
    6) Verify you can access the search settings.
    7) Test crawling
    8) Test searching.

    If you see any errors stating the search service is not online during testing (Even though they are started), run the following command:

    stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename osearch

    9) If you are still seeing the issue, delete the index on the index server and repeat steps 1-8.


    Regards, Vishwas

    • Edited by Vishwas B Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:31 AM added log
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:28 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestons.

    I ended up opening a service call with support. Long story very short, the cause was installing SP3 with windows updates (and not paying attention that this was being done), and not running the configuration wizard afterward. The configuration wizard could not run with the search service in an error state, and the search service couldn't run correctly until the configuration finished. In the end we found that if we disabled the Office Search Service in services.msc and rebooted the server that the configuration wizard could run to completion. Then we were able to set the search service back to automatic and everything was happy.

    Lesson: Pay attention to what updates you are actually loading.


    Namcy Manheimer
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:00 PM