none
Component Services: Catalog Error when Opening COM+ Applications RRS feed

• Question

• My problem is when I tried to access the COM+ Applications under dcomcnfg, it gives me an error saying An error occurred while processing the last operation. Error code 8000FFFF - Catastrophic failure.

I then tried to go to the services.msc and check the services. Both COM+ Event System and Distributed Transaction Coordinator are started but not COM+ System Application. When I tried to start COM+ System Application it gives me an error saying Windows could not start the COM+ System Application service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. 

I've search for possible solution, some suggested to re-install the COM+. I've read various kb solution where it involves re-registration and reinstalltion of COM+ but it doesn't apply to Windows 2008 because there's no add/remove components in the appwiz.cpl. Some said that the only way to reinstall this is to reinstall the whole OS itself which I can't do. 

Some are registry fixes but I'm uncertain to follow it since it might render the server useless. 

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:26 PM

Answers

• I have found a solution regarding my situation. I followed this troubleshooting procedure for the component services issue: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2010/02/22/how-to-troubleshoot-the-red-arrow-issue-in-component-services.aspx. I found that when I went to my %windir%\registration folder, the permission Everyone is not there. I added Everyone with read only access.

I then use Procmon.exe as stated above to monitor what's happening when I open the Component Serivces. I filtered it as mmc.exe so that's the only process that I can see when gathering data. I saw that it was looking for the file r000000000001.clb with File Not found. Apparently it's been moved somewhere else and not in the %windir%\registration folder. I searched it under c: drive and found that it was located somewhere. I copied it to the registration folder and it fixes my problem.

Now I don't have the problem when opening component services. And no more error when performing Retrospect backup. Also, the Com+ Applications in the services now starts without a problem.

• Marked as answer by deafish00 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

In the event error, can you read what {GUID} encounters the error message? Please also let us know the full error message.

Based on my search, this issue can be caused by the incorrect registry permission settings.

Please launch Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{GUID} to verify the permission settings.

If it does not work, you may run Process Monitor to check what process encounters this error.

Process Monitor

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Anyone with an idea on how to resolve this issue? How do I re-register the .dll of the com+ and which dll do I need to re-register in order to reinstall COM+ properly.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

In the event error, can you read what {GUID} encounters the error message? Please also let us know the full error message.

Based on my search, this issue can be caused by the incorrect registry permission settings.

Please launch Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{GUID} to verify the permission settings.

If it does not work, you may run Process Monitor to check what process encounters this error.

Process Monitor

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:37 AM
  • In the event viewer, I couldn't find any error regarding COM+ when I'm trying to access it in the Component Services. I went to Event Viewer > Application, filter COM, complus.

We do have an error for the VSS Event ID 12293 & 8193. 

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({19d57940-9d88-417b-b3a8-abc0fb7e8399}) [hr = 0x80042302, A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.
    Check the Application event log for more information.
    ]. 

Operation:
      Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
      Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine Cannot find anymore diff area candidates for volume \\?\Volume{dd1c81c5-1f61-11e0-81b7-806e6f6e6963}\ [0]. hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure

Operation:
      Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
      Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
      Volume Name: \\?\Volume{dd1c81c5-1f61-11e0-81b7-806e6f6e6963}\
      Volume Name: \\?\Volume{a7a24e56-5cf7-4217-95e1-7c966977781a}\
      Volume Name: \\?\Volume{bcc80a3e-51fa-4cd1-985a-cee48abf1511}\
      Execution Context: System Provider

I used the program Process Monitor and isolate MMC for the Component Services and here's what I'm getting.

Date & Time:	8/22/2011 9:44:20 AM
    Event Class:	Registry
    Operation:	RegOpenKey
    Result:	NAME NOT FOUND
    Path:	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\KnownClasses
    TID:	7876
    Duration:	0.0000055
    Desired Access:	Read

Date & Time:	8/22/2011 9:46:06 AM
    Event Class:	File System
    Operation:	CreateFile
    Result:	NAME NOT FOUND
    Path:	C:\Windows\Registration\R000000000001.clb
    TID:	7876
    Duration:	0.0000159
    Desired Access:	Generic Read
    Disposition:	Open
    Options:	Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File
    Attributes:	n/a
    ShareMode:	Read
    AllocationSize:	n/a

Hopefully this information will help isolate the problem. I'm sorry it took a while to respond. 

Monday, August 22, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have DHCP role installed on this server?

If so, you may try the following troubleshooting suggestions to check the result:

Download the SubInACL.exe tool from the following Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyId=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displayLang=en

Restore the old permissions together with permissions for the DHCP Server:

C:\subinacl.exe /Subkeyreg System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Diag /sddl=O:SYG:SYD:PAI(A;;KA;;;BA)(A;;KA;;;SY)(A;;SDGRGW;;;BO)(A;;SDGRGW;;;LS)(A;;SDGRGW;;;NS)(A;CIIO;RC;;;S-1-3-4)(A;;KR;;;BU)(A;CIIO;GR;;;BU)(A;CIIO;GA;;;BA)(A;CIIO;GA;;;BO)(A;CIIO;GA;;;LS)(A;CIIO;GA;;;NS)(A;CIIO;GA;;;SY)(A;CI;CCDCLCSW;;;S-1-5-80-3273805168-4048181553-3172130058-210131473-390205191)

Note DHCP Server sddl:

(A;CI;CCDCLCSW;;;S-1-5-80-3273805168-4048181553-3172130058-210131473-390205191)

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB articles:

VSS EventID 8193 is logged when you restart the Cryptographic Services service after you install the DHCP role on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2298620

Backups fail and Event ID 12293 is logged on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972135

Regards,

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:21 PM
  • This server is acts as a fileserver. The only roles it have is file services, and IIS to serve asp pages. It doesn't have DHCP roles installed in it. 

As for the hotfix, I've actually tried it before. But it won't let me install, every time I download it, it only gives me Vista 64. This machine is Windows 2008 R2. The article only covers Vista and 2008. 

Is there a way to dump all what I get with the Process Monitor? It might be a permission error since when I tried to open the Computer under Component Services, it tells me that it looks for c:\windows\registration\R000000000001.clb. When I navigate through that, there's nothing in there.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:15 PM
  • I have found a solution regarding my situation. I followed this troubleshooting procedure for the component services issue: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2010/02/22/how-to-troubleshoot-the-red-arrow-issue-in-component-services.aspx. I found that when I went to my %windir%\registration folder, the permission Everyone is not there. I added Everyone with read only access.

I then use Procmon.exe as stated above to monitor what's happening when I open the Component Serivces. I filtered it as mmc.exe so that's the only process that I can see when gathering data. I saw that it was looking for the file r000000000001.clb with File Not found. Apparently it's been moved somewhere else and not in the %windir%\registration folder. I searched it under c: drive and found that it was located somewhere. I copied it to the registration folder and it fixes my problem.

Now I don't have the problem when opening component services. And no more error when performing Retrospect backup. Also, the Com+ Applications in the services now starts without a problem.

• Marked as answer by deafish00 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Must thank the original poster.  I had the same external symptoms, and similarly,

the r000000000001.clb file was missing from the registration folder. 

I located a copy of it elsewhere on the c:\ drive - here actually,

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-complus-runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_59cabf11d4b18d8a

and copied it to the registration folder.  As the OP experienced, all the problems were solved.

The interesting thing is, how/why did this file get deleted out of the registration folder in  the first place?

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:54 AM
  • I also had this problem on three Win7 machines, the OP solution worked - copying the r000000000001.clb file from C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-com-complus-runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_b5bfb0b8ee629431 on the C drive to the %WinDir%\Registration folder.  Comparison of this file on other machines shows identical modify and sizes.  It is unclear why this file was not present, could indicate corruption of the underlying COM+ database.  In our case, we identified this issue when installing an application that required COM+ registration which failed due to the COM+ System Application service not running which then led us to this post.
    Friday, March 31, 2017 10:58 PM
  • Using deafish00's recommendation, I was able to use this to resolve a COM+ failure on a 2016 Server Standard install.

A couple extra things...

-Use PROCMON to discover the location of the missing files (in my case %windir%/registration).

-Check another Server running the same version of the OS.

-Copy the missing files from the known good server. In my case, it was two .clb files and one CRMLOG file.

*These files are a catalog for COM+. Ass you have taken them from another Server, you will need to repair the catalog.

-Run sfc /scannow.

*Errors should be found.

-Reboot the Server once sfc finished and finds errors (SO MANY ERRORS!).

-Attempt to open COM+ in Component Services. If it fails to open (Catastrophic error!), reboot again.

-Following multiple reboots, the catalog should now be repaired. 

-Celebrate.

NOTE: This wasn't the only repair I needed to fix (multiple DCOM Permissions failures resolved using the scripts/module found here. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a92348bb-1657-4fe6-8b80-fa45efd2f1c4/component-services-catalog-error-when-opening-com-applications?forum=winservergen

Thanks for the help deafish00!

Monday, March 4, 2019 10:54 PM