none
One of the cache hosts in the cluster is down.

Question

• I see this message occurring for my two-tier farm (call it "farm A"). The failing server in this message is a server on another two-tier farm (call it "farm B"). Though the message indicates that a cache host is down, if I execute Use-CacheCluster followed by Get-CacheClusterhealth, (on farmA) only one server appears: the Farm B SharePoint server.

This message began appearing once I started up Farm B. The Farm B SharePoint server is a clone of the Farm A SharePoint server. I connected Farm B server once I had changed database alias so that it points to a new SQL Server instance on the domain's database server.

I shutdown Farm B, but the message persists. I tried stopping and starting the cluster, but the message persists. I tried unregistering this particular host, but the commandlet fails because it could not find host in cluster configuration store.

So I'm scratching my head wondering where this phantom entry is residing and how I remove it. Any assistance would be very welcome. 

Thursday, October 08, 2015 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hyper-V replication is not supported, along with:

Dynamic memory

Time sync

Snapshots/online backups (unless you have a single server install)

If you replicated the databases (Config), all of the references would be there. Cache hosts are handled a little differently, there is reference information within the Config db, but also it stores the FQDN of the host.

Basically, you'll be rebuilding the farm, unfortunately.

As for backups/DR, what you'll want to investigate is:

Script your farm installations and any configuration changes/updates. This will make duplicating a farm easier.

Use SQL Mirroring or AlwaysOn in asynchronous mode to a remote site for a separate farm. Sam Betts has a series of articles on his blog regarding the configuration options you have: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sambetts/

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Stephan Bren Saturday, October 10, 2015 8:43 PM
    Friday, October 09, 2015 3:15 PM

All replies

• So first lesson is, you cannot clone a SharePoint farm -- it may put you in a position that requires you to rebuild a new farm from scratch.

What you may want to try doing is removing the cloned VMs from the farm, though this may render the original farm VMs unusable (because server names are referenced by a GUID rather than simply by name -- remove the GUID reference from the Config db, it'll drop all VMs that have that GUID).

I don't believe there is an easy way out of this one, unfortunately.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 08, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Thanks Trevor - lessons learned ;]. 

We are using Hyper V with a replication server at a different location: I was attempting to explore both: 1) the possibility of rapidly creating a development server and 2) how to stand up a Hyper V replication in the event that the primary went down.

What's curious is that when I check Farm A's "Manage servers in this farm," the Farm B server doesn't show.  So, I can't really remove it can I?

Also, how is it that Farm A ever got information on Farm B when the database connection aliases pointed to two different SQL server instances?

Friday, October 09, 2015 1:46 PM
  • Hyper-V replication is not supported, along with:

Dynamic memory

Time sync

Snapshots/online backups (unless you have a single server install)

If you replicated the databases (Config), all of the references would be there. Cache hosts are handled a little differently, there is reference information within the Config db, but also it stores the FQDN of the host.

Basically, you'll be rebuilding the farm, unfortunately.

As for backups/DR, what you'll want to investigate is:

Script your farm installations and any configuration changes/updates. This will make duplicating a farm easier.

Use SQL Mirroring or AlwaysOn in asynchronous mode to a remote site for a separate farm. Sam Betts has a series of articles on his blog regarding the configuration options you have: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sambetts/

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by Stephan Bren Saturday, October 10, 2015 8:43 PM
    Friday, October 09, 2015 3:15 PM