none
Cannot "Reply All" Outlook 2013 & 2016 after update KB3172519

Question

• Success!SOLVED!

A customer called and mentioned that they are unable to reply all to any email within their inbox. 2 different customers were experiencing the same issue.

when they would try and "Reply all " to any existing or new email messages in the inbox, they got the error.

'You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation'

i noticed that about a week ago windows updates started pushing through updates for outlook 2013. After researching more if you uninstall update " KB3172519" the problem will go away.

thought i should share this as there is literally nothing on the internet about this problem..the more you know!

Graham - DMS SERVICES INC

www.dmsservices.ca

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Graham,

Thanks for your solution sharing.

I did a test in my Outlook 2013 which has been installed with the security update for Outlook 2013: April 11, 2017 (KB3172519). But there is no issue when I click "Reply all" for Inbox messages.

Generally, it is not recommended to uninstall a security updates on a computer. This KB3172519 security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file.

How many client users are influenced by the update " KB3172519"? Maybe we can do further troubleshooting for the "Reply All" issue to confirm if the root cause is this security updates if you are interested in it.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:39 AM
  • Hello

We had a similar issue with Outlook 2013. Though the error says: "The attempted operation failed. An object could not be found."

We also uninstalled the KB3172519 and since then it works again.

Had this both on Win7 and Win10 (1607 & 1703).

Good thing is that it didn't show up on our WSUS so only the clients directly connected to Windows Update were affected.

Cheers.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:10 PM
  • Hello,

thanks for this solution. I also deleted the KB3172519 update for office 13,  32-bit , and the 'reply to all' worked again.

"Generally, it is not recommended to uninstall a security updates on a computer.  "

Yep, but it did the job, up to Microsoft to provide a solution.

Cheers

Friday, April 21, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Yes, it seems this specific update really messed up the resolve names functionality for non-exchange backends. Which groupware backend are you connecting to @KVN and @Sot1Ca?
    Friday, April 21, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi Felix

We are (still) using Zarafa.

Monday, April 24, 2017 1:31 PM
  • I also have the same problem with Outlook 2013 and so does a client on two different computers using Win 7 and Win 10.

It started about two weeks ago. 

Please fix!

Best Regards,

G

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:14 PM
  • also Zafara
    Friday, April 28, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Hi all,

I just want to clarify that the bug fix that caused the change in Outlook 2013 was an intentional change to fix a problem that was affecting Outlook.com users.  I am getting the KB updated to explain the fix better.  This is what it will be updated to:

"When you reply all for an email message of an Outlook.com account, your email address is no longer added to the To field."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3172519/description-of-the-security-update-for-outlook-2013-april-11-2017.

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:33 PM
  • Well to be honest there have been 2 different updates . Both of these applied when users using office 2016 home and business installed update "KB3172519  . when they tried to reply all outlook told them that they didnt have permission .

once i removed the update and restarted outlook instantly they could again. Now a week later Microsoft pushed out update KB3191889 which then created the same issue AGAIN!!. Once again we uninstalled and blocked it and now they can reply all again. My question is why doesn't Microsoft test these changes before just pushing them out??? You cause more issues with these updates and upset end users more than you help....

Here we we go again. this morning i have a customer running office 2013 now who cannot Reply to All . Gets the same error but has neither of the updates above installed.  like what gives?

This is getting pathetic.  Like we have time all day to uninstall updates to figure out which one breaks outlook.

ide appreciate any help regarding this matter. The current version of office now with the issue is 15.0.4927.1002 (microsoft home and business 2013) When you try to reply all to any email message i get error : your dont have appropriate permission to preform this operation".. So frustrating.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:33 PM
  • Yes me too. now its outlook 2013 doing the same thing. Neither of the updates above that i mentioned are even installed on the system . So frustrating. Im working on figuring it out but come on.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:37 PM