none
JSON error on people picker RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I am getting 'JSON' is undefine on a people picker field on a list.  When the user puts the list in quick edit mode and tries to select a value for the people picker the error message appears.  I have tried setting the browser to compadibility mode and that didn't resolve the issue.  This is NOT a custom form with InfoPath, it is a standard SharePoint form.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

**this should be a SharePoint 2013 question

Thank you,
    Hyde

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Hyde,

To troubleshoot the issue, check things below:

1. Check if the user who is selected in the people picker is in the active directory.

2. Reset to site definitions. Go to site settings->site actions->reset to site definition->select” Reset all pages in this site to site definition version” and click “Reset”.

3. Create a new list to check if the same issue will occur.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:07 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for the response.  The user that they are selecting is in AD [I tested my user ID also].  I created a new list and it is exhibiting the same issues.  I don't want to set the site back to the definition, that seems like over kill and I am not sure what customization that site owners have done.  I am also able to reproduce the issue in other environments.

Thank you,
    Hyde

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Hi Hyde,

To troubleshoot the issue, check things below:

1. Reset IIS to check if the same issue will occur.

2. If you can reproduce the same issue in other environment, you can reset to site definitions in another environment.

3. Run SharePoint 2013 products configuration wizard.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

Here's another thing to troubleshoot:

Check if you can resolve the user name in a people picker control, by adding the user to a permissions list for the list, and see if the user name resolves.

Export the list to excel and look for any users that might be no longer in the company

Run a full User Profile Sync

Then try

Do you know if the list has any custom event receiver attached to it?

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE Productivity | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:52 PM
  • Hi Stacy,

Thank you for the reply.  The user does resolve in the people picker.  It is not an issue with the user, it doesn't matter what user you choose, before you get a chance to enter the user the JSON error appears. 

• The profile sync is up to date. 
    • There aren't any custom event recievers, it is all OOTB

Thank you,
    Hyde

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 2:53 PM
  • Hi Hyde, have you ran a full user profile sync lately, vs incrementals?

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE Productivity | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:55 PM
  • Hi Hyde,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, July 30, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Hi Sara,

No, no update.  It isn't the user that the people picker is used for and it isn't profile sync. The sync runs a full sync weekly and all the accounts appear find.  Like I had said previously the error appears before the people picker loads an account.

Thank you,
    Hyde

• Edited by Hyde_311 Monday, July 30, 2018 12:43 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 12:36 PM
  • Hi Hyde,

Where did you use the people picker? And did you migrate the site from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013?

To troubleshoot the issue, you could use F12 developer tools in IE to check the details about the error.

More reference:

F12 Developer Tools.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh772704(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:03 AM
  • Hi Hyde,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly. 

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, August 6, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the site was migrated over from 2010; it was before my time however, so i don't know what was used or how it was done.  I checked the F12 dev tools and nothing appeared in the console as errors.

Thanks,
    Hyde

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:01 PM