Lync Home Lab - Free SIP Provider RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have a small home lab and currently running Lync 2010 Standard with all roles on a single VM. I have presence, IM, point-point a/v working perfectly however I now want to start testing with Enterprise Voice.

Because this is a home lab, I am not looking to pay hundreds of dollars or sign any contracts with telcos. I'm looking for a way to incorporate or hack an inexpensive SIP provider (such as Vonage/MagicJack,etc) so I can get voice working in my lab (only one or two DIDs nothing fancy).

Has anyone else out there tried this in thier home labs? If so, would you mind explaining how you did it?

Thanks!
    Monday, February 6, 2012 10:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you want really really really cheap you can get a free, trial intelepeer SIP trunk. (there will be sign up paperwork)

Also, some use the free snom ONE IP PBX to simulate a sip trunk:
    http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2011/09/using-snom-one-as-sip-trunk-gateway-for.html

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    • Proposed as answer by Matt LandisMVP Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:04 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 10:57 PM
  • Hey Matt,

I appreciate the reply. I reviewed your blog link and Snom One IP PBX looks pretty darn interesting. I'm going to give it a go tonight.

This should help to suffice my enterprise voice testing internally and give me an idea of what Enterprise Voice is all about, however, is there a way to gain external outbound/inbound through a free SIP provider or somehow hacking Vonage or MagicJack? Or perhaps a SIP provider that is $10-20 per month?

Again appreciate any help you could throw my way :)

Thanks!
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Intelepeer could be as low as $20 actually. its something like that.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Short answer, yes.  Using magic jack you'll need some type of gateway with "FXO" ports between Lync (Mediation Server) and the Magic Jack device.  For lab/home use, a relatively cheap (used on eBay) Audio Codes MP112 or MP114 with "FXO" ports will get you sorted.  Youll need some basic knowledge of setting up the AC gateway but it's pretty simple after doing some googling. 

Simple diagram:

Internet <> Magic Jack <> Gateway <> Lync

What's the difference between FXO and FXS? 

http://www.3cx.com/PBX/FXS-FXO.html

Way better than I could explain here.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:45 PM