none
In same farm, 2 applications using an original and copy of the same contentdb RRS feed

• Question

• Title was a mouthful, I know. 

I have a dev farm, I want to test something in a contentdb but don't want to disrupt the developers. I want to create a new application using a copy of the other db. So, plan is to:

1. create a copy of DEVIntranet_content
    2. restore db as DEVIntranet2_content
    3. create application DEVIntranet2
    4. mount-spcontentdatabase DEVIntranet2_content -webapplication DEVIntranet2_content

IIRC, I'll get an error when I try to mount, as the IDs will conflict in the farm. I'm trying to find an article on the error and the workaround. I think I remember there being an option to change all of the ids during the mounting process. Can't find an article.

Thanks

Friday, May 4, 2018 7:56 PM

Answers

• You can't do this within the same farm. Each Site Collection must have a unique ID.

What you can do is use Backup-SPSite and Restore-SPSite, which will create a unique Site Collection ID.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Dean_WangModerator Tuesday, May 8, 2018 5:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by scogordo Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:07 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 8:14 PM

All replies

• You can't do this within the same farm. Each Site Collection must have a unique ID.

What you can do is use Backup-SPSite and Restore-SPSite, which will create a unique Site Collection ID.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Dean_WangModerator Tuesday, May 8, 2018 5:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by scogordo Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:07 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 8:14 PM
  • Hi scogordo,

Is there any update?

If Trevor's reply is helpful to you, you can mark as answer.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 5:30 AM