HP Bladesystem Management pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

I have a need to monitor HP blade system and enclosures. Can anyone please point me to the relevant management pack.

We are using SCOM  2016 . I have downloaded a management pack , but i guess it supports only for SCOM 2007.

Please advise

-py

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I think I can bring some more clarity here.

The HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center Release Notes (v 9.0) is now out, but in order to use the HPE OneView SCOM Integration Kit for Blade Monitoring, you need to have the HPE OneView applience (or a linux system with it). This is clearly stated by HPE:

HPE OneView SCOM Integration Kit (v4.0) This kit includes HPE OneView Management Packs that integrate alert processing, state monitoring, and hardware resource lifecycle management with information specifically designed for servers (G6 to Gen10), HPE Virtual Connect, HPE BladeSystem enclosures, HPE Synergy, and HPE Storage Systems that are managed by HPE OneView. The HPE OneView Management Packs require that the HPE OneView Event Manager be installed on each SCOM management server in the resource pool for alert processing. Download this kit if you want to monitor the health of servers (G6 to Gen10), BladeSystem enclosures, Synergy enclosures, HPE Virtual Connect, and HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage that are being managed by HPE OneView.

So the OneView Integration Kit is not an option if you don't have OneView. 

So how to monitor Blades. The current version of the MP is 1.80:

HPE ProLiant Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager

And it says:

The HPE management packs for SCOM provide health monitoring and alerting.

• HPE ProLiant Server Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager uses SNMP or WBEM to monitor the health of HPE ProLiant servers running the Microsoft Windows Server operating system.
    • HPE BladeSystem Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager monitors the health of HPE BladeSystem enclosures.

The problem is though that this version has still not been updated for SCOM 2016. From the documenbtation of the MP (User Guide) we read:

Support Matrix

So as far as I am aware there is no HPE MP that can cover the requirements for Blade Monitoring and SCOM 2016. But as CyrAz stated - their documentation and structuring is poor, so there is still a chance that we are missing something. 

Hope I coudl help. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:06 AM
  • There are links in the post I linked in my first reply.

Here they are again : 

Managing Mixed Environnements with HPE SCOM MP : http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5390822&docId=emr_na-c04347838&docLocale=en_US

HPE SCOM Integration kit : http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5390822&docId=emr_na-c04605146&docLocale=en_US

Monday, April 9, 2018 4:28 PM

All replies

• FWIW, we have the HP MPs in SCOM 2012 and they work fine.

"Fear disturbs your concentration"

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:02 PM
  • HP site and documentation is indeed quite confusing regarding HP management packs... Refer to this post for more info : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b2c83e5d-59f8-4dfd-84bd-6d337af87ee8/monitoring-hp-servers?forum=operationsmanagergeneral
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:29 AM
  • Hi All,

I think I can bring some more clarity here.

The HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center Release Notes (v 9.0) is now out, but in order to use the HPE OneView SCOM Integration Kit for Blade Monitoring, you need to have the HPE OneView applience (or a linux system with it). This is clearly stated by HPE:

HPE OneView SCOM Integration Kit (v4.0) This kit includes HPE OneView Management Packs that integrate alert processing, state monitoring, and hardware resource lifecycle management with information specifically designed for servers (G6 to Gen10), HPE Virtual Connect, HPE BladeSystem enclosures, HPE Synergy, and HPE Storage Systems that are managed by HPE OneView. The HPE OneView Management Packs require that the HPE OneView Event Manager be installed on each SCOM management server in the resource pool for alert processing. Download this kit if you want to monitor the health of servers (G6 to Gen10), BladeSystem enclosures, Synergy enclosures, HPE Virtual Connect, and HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage that are being managed by HPE OneView.

So the OneView Integration Kit is not an option if you don't have OneView. 

So how to monitor Blades. The current version of the MP is 1.80:

HPE ProLiant Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager

And it says:

The HPE management packs for SCOM provide health monitoring and alerting.

• HPE ProLiant Server Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager uses SNMP or WBEM to monitor the health of HPE ProLiant servers running the Microsoft Windows Server operating system.
    • HPE BladeSystem Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager monitors the health of HPE BladeSystem enclosures.

The problem is though that this version has still not been updated for SCOM 2016. From the documenbtation of the MP (User Guide) we read:

Support Matrix

So as far as I am aware there is no HPE MP that can cover the requirements for Blade Monitoring and SCOM 2016. But as CyrAz stated - their documentation and structuring is poor, so there is still a chance that we are missing something. 

Hope I coudl help. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:06 AM
  • I'm pretty confident that you can monitor BladeSystems using HP agentless monitoring via the Device Monitoring Console which is a part of the package, even if it doesn't officially states that SCOM 2016 is supported... As a matter of fact I've done it for a couple of custommers !

• Edited by CyrAz Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:48 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:06 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:47 PM
  • Hello All,

thank you for your feedback.

Hello Cyraz - do you have any link or a step by step guide on how to proceed with this ? Please forgive my lack of understanding in this matter.

Please advise

-py

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:32 PM
  • There are links in the post I linked in my first reply.

Here they are again : 

Managing Mixed Environnements with HPE SCOM MP : http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5390822&docId=emr_na-c04347838&docLocale=en_US

HPE SCOM Integration kit : http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5390822&docId=emr_na-c04605146&docLocale=en_US

Monday, April 9, 2018 4:28 PM
  • The new document has been available from HP :  https://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-a00076044en_us-3.pdf

It says SCOM 2016 is supported for HP Blade enclosures.

HPE OneView Virtual Connect Management Pack (v5.0) for System Center Category Support
    System Center Products The SCOM environment must have the Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 1801, Operations Manager 1807, Operations Manager 2012 R2, Operations Manager 2016, and Operations Manager 2019 available.

Hardware Dependencies • HPE BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure • HPE BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure (RoHS compliant) • HPE BladeSystem c7000 Platinum Enclosure (Platinum) • HPE Synergy SY12000 • SDX Enclosure

Thanks Chandan

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi Chandan,

That is not quite accurate, but I can understand why it is confusing.

The HPE OneView Management Pack is actually a collection of "sub MPs". The document you are referring to in your link is in fact for the HPE OneView MPs - the "HPE OneView SCOM Integration Kit" is a collection of MPs and utilities that are used when monitoring using OneView.

So although your statement above indicates support for SCOM 2016, it is referring to one of the OneView sub-MPs, and not specifically for the HP BladeSystem MP.

A simple rule is that if it has "OneView" in the name, then it requires OneView in order to work.

Thanks,

Doug

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:16 PM