none
Exchange 2016 Combine DAG and Hyper-V clustering RRS feed

• Question

• Dear MS,

I have a clarification problem. I am currently intending to deploy Exchange 2016 that combines both Hyper-V Clustering of physical Windows Server and making DAG on 2 VM exchange. Is it okay to make clustering and DAG. Or just make 1 DAG or clustering. I need some  recommend

Thanks so much

Monday, July 22, 2019 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi

Essentially, a mailbox server can only belong to 1 DAG, so if you have 2 servers, you only need 1 DAG. When you configure the DAG it will install failover cluster manager on both nodes and join them into the DAG.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi Edward,

The model I plan to deploy is as follows:

Host 1 (WS2016): Hyper-V - VM1 Exchange 2016 => DAG-1

Host 2 (WS2016): Hyper-V -VM2 Exchange 2016 => DAG-1

Host 1 vs Host is configured with Hyper-V Clustering to run 2 VM backups in terms of VM.

I combined on 2 VM configuration DAG group name DAG-1. I was just afraid of running Clustering Hyper-V VM and DAG-1 Exchange was afraid of confilct or error.

Thanks very much

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 1:34 AM
  • Hi Phuong,

You can combine DAG and Hyper-V clustering, but it's not recommended. Here is a similar thread discusses it, for your reference:

Exchange 2013 DAG with hyper-v Cluster 2012 R2

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, July 26, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Hi Phuong,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Hi Niko, 

Thanks for your advice.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:27 AM
  • Hi Phuong,

You're welcome, if my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as an answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 5:02 AM