none
Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler

Question

• So, I had these files saved from 2007 on my computer, but I only had the expired trial version of 2007. I downloaded 2010 and when I tried to open the files, they would still open into 2007, not what I wanted. Soo I uninstalled 2007 from my computer and thought that doing so would make the files open to 2010, didn't work. So then I went into default programs section in the control panel and changed the default program for .doc files to word 2010 and it keeps showing up as Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler and now when I try to open the files from the documents section, nothing happens. What do I do??
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try the below mentioned steps:

1.      Right click on Word file ->open with->choose default program.

2.      Click browse->click on computer on the left pane->program files->Microsoft Office->Office 14.

3.      Select Winword.exe and click ok or open at the bottom.

4.      Check the box “Always use the selected program to open this kind of files”.

5.      Click ok.

6.      Try to Open word documents.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try the below mentioned steps:

1.      Right click on Word file ->open with->choose default program.

2.      Click browse->click on computer on the left pane->program files->Microsoft Office->Office 14.

3.      Select Winword.exe and click ok or open at the bottom.

4.      Check the box “Always use the selected program to open this kind of files”.

5.      Click ok.

6.      Try to Open word documents.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:05 AM
  • If you installed Office 2010 using Click to Run technology, "Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler" will appear in the list of programs. Try selecting this option for your default program & let us know if this resolves it for you.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Hi, I'm having the same problem. I tried going into Office 14, but I there are no files in there. Is there anything else I could possibly try?
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:49 AM
  • This works for me but i am curious what "Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler" is. is it like "click to run?"
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:45 PM
  • I also have the samen problem, no "winword.exe" in office 14 but in office 12 - could this help or would it bring me back to word2003?
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Office 12 is Office 2007. Do you have that on your PC also? Office 2003 is Office 11
    It is possible to run Multiple versions of Office (not Outlook!!!) on the same platform - see http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm
    The Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler is part of the virtual click to run installation. Where this is involved there is no file structure on the C drive. If you have click to run you would be better served downloading the conventional installer and then uninstall the click to run veresion before installing the conventional version. Make sure that you download the same Office suite that you have a key for, as the keys are product specific.

<geert-vh> wrote in message news:afafcac5-3a45-4579-ad97-c6202c209c65@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I also have the samen problem, no "winword.exe" in office 14 but in office 12 - could this help or would it bring me back to word2003?

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:41 PM
  • hello, same problem

i bought a laptop with a trial version of office and bought/installed student edition 2010.

my files (either on my comptuer, or emailed to me) were still opening in the trial vesion so i uninstalled it.

i then tried to set the default to 2010 but couldnt find it. all the installed 2010 programs are  saved as as "client virtualisation handler" and nothing happens when i try to open the files using this (not even an error message)

also tried to set c/programfiles/microsoft/office 14 as the default, as per the suggestion above, but there are no files in there.

please help as i am trying to work from home due to snow and I cant open files without first opening excel, word or whatever then opening the files ive saved to my desktop in there. its very annoying!!!

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Tchen510, Yes. If "Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler" is included in the list of programs to open files with, it means you're using Click to Run technology.

Meandmeorme et al: If there are no files in the Office 14 folder, select "Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler"from the list of program choices to open your Word, PowerPoint and Excel files with.

As Graham Mayor points out, this problem occurs when there are more than one version of an Office suite installed. For example, if you have Office 2007 Home and Student, then installed Office 2010 Trial. In this scenario you need to first open the program (Word 2007 or Word 2010, for example), then browse and open the file from there.

Once the Office trial version expires, you'll need to uninstall it using Control Panel, then repair the remaining version also using control panel. Here are those steps taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918957:

When you repair Office, the correct file association will reassociate with the corresponding Office program. To repair Office or the Office program, follow these steps:

1. Close all Office programs, and turn off any antivirus software.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click Office or the Office program, and then click Change/Remove. For example, click Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Office 2000 Standard, Microsoft Office XP, or Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. The Setup program starts automatically.
    4. In the Setup program, click Repair Office (or Repair Word).

Note The Setup program performs the following functions:
      • Checks the installed files
      • Replaces or installs any files from an earlier version of Office that are the wrong size, are damaged, or are missing
    5. After you repair Office or the Office program, turn on the antivirus software that you turned off in step 1.
    • Proposed as answer by Thomato Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:04 AM
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Hi Ms. Zhan but i have a problem with powerpoint files opening, when i go to set the program default in the control panel to powerpoint it changes to the microsoft virtualization handler, i had a trial for office 2007, uninstalled it when it was over and i bought office 2010 now it wont let me open 2007 files.

PLZ HELP!

Larone7584

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:07 AM
  • See:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/click-to-run.asp

for instructions on replacing the Click-to-Run version with a non-virtualized version.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"larone7584" wrote in message news:1e03ee53-1549-4336-a45f-8586ed473966@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Ms. Zhan but i have a problem with powerpoint files opening, when i go to set the program default in the control panel to powerpoint it changes to the microsoft virtualization handler, i had a trial for office 2007, uninstalled it when it was over and i bought office 2010 now it wont let me open 2007 files.

PLZ HELP!

Larone7584

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I did that and it does not work at all; the icons no longer even look like Word files.  Please note that this does not happen with Powerpoint, just Word.  I haven't tried Excel.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:45 PM
  • I click Start, but there's no Run to click on, just the search bar? What should I do?

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Here's how to get a Run command on the Start menu in Windows 7 (other Windows versions may vary a bit):

• Right-click the Start button and choose Properties.
    • On the "Start Menu" tab of the Properties dialog, click the Customize button.
    • Scroll down the list and check the box next to "Run command".
    • Click the OK button.

The "Run..." command will appear in the right half of the Start menu.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Quick way to get the Run command is to use a keyboard shortcut.

In this case hold down the Windows key and press the letter R.

Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:52 AM
  •  

First of all you need to un-install all versions of Microsoft Office including Microsoft Office 2010 from control panel un-install programs. once you done that, then reinstall the Microsoft office 2010 again. And then try to open Word files set Word as default program. It happens when you have two different versions of Microsoft Office installed, they both conflict with each other.

I was having the same problem, I tried this way, i was successful.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:18 PM
  • hi, i, too had two different versions, i was able to uninstall 2010 sucessfully. but i cannot uninstall the other older version nor click-to-run as the window "Microsoft office client virtualization has stopped working" keeps preventing the older version from uninstalling. how do you get the handler to work. i am now on my reserve nerve and will probably cry soon. thx.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Okay, well the same thing happened to me, the best thing I suggest you do is to download OpenOffice (which is free and usable but not so great as Microsoft but a fantastic substitute) then:

1. Right-click on any file

2. Put cursor over the option 'Open with' then a pane will show up.

3. Go down it and choose 'Choose default program'

4. A box may pop up say something along the lines of 'The File Type Assisstant .... blah blah blah,' irrelevant just go on the 3 option (click the third little circle) that says 'Open with already installed software'.

5. Now, a box will show up, giving you all present word programs on your computer. If you have successfully downloaded OpenOffice, it should be there. Click on it  and all your files will be converted to OpenOffice and you are free to edit them and use them once more.

P.S. I use Windows 7: Home Premium, thus I am not sure if it will be the same for you.

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi

I am having the same problem with microsoft excel. i dont see any files in office 14 and i also dont see microsoft office client virtualisation in the start key all program.

hoe do i resolve this issue now,

please advice

Monday, October 31, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Thank you Debbie MSFT! 

We had a problem as described here with my mother's computer: Office 2007 trial auto-started and we couldn't set 2010 as default.  Uninstalling 2007 then repairing 2010 worked nicely.

Brilliant answer! :D

• Edited by Thomato Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:06 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:06 AM