0x80040600 unknown error in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I HAVE REVIEWED OTHER QUESTIONS AND ADVICE ABOUT THIS ERROR. 

We are seeing a send/receive error in Outlook 2013, details are "Unknown error 0x80040600".  The problem is preventing send and receive of email to certain accounts, while permitting it to other accounts.

Virtually all questions and all advice found so far relates to earlier versions of Outlook, and the advice for dealing with the error cannot be followed here.  For example, the SCANPST.EXE program does not appear to be on the affected system, so we can't repair the PST file as advised.  If a new PST file is created and made default, we cannot import messages from the old file as advised... Outlook will appear to be working for hours on updating it when we mount it and try to open it, but will not display any items in it.

Yesterday, it did this on one of about ten email accounts managed by this Outlook client, the others continued to send/receive just fine.  We eventually restored a backup of the PST file and lost a couple of days of email, but everything worked fine again.  Minutes ago, Outlook began reporting the same error with a different account.

Help please!  Thanks for any advice or ideas.

• Edited by boyscout100 Monday, February 10, 2014 4:25 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 3:40 PM

Answers

• First of all, there are three reasons that may cause your problem, as follows:

1. Your Outlook PST file is damaged or corrupt.
    2. Your Outlook profile is corrupt.
    3. Your Outlook installation or configuration is incorrect.

To determine the accurate reason, you can do as follows:

Copy your PST file to another computer with Outlook installed, then start Outlook, then "File" -> "Open" -> "Outlook Data File", to open the PST file.
    If the PST file cannot be opened, or there are some error messages when opening the file, then your PST file is corrupt and you need to go to (SOLUTION A),
    otherwise, if the PST file can be opened without any problems, then your PST file should be healthy and the reason is 2 or 3, you need to go to (SOLUTION B).

(SOLUTION A): There are a lot of online resources discussing about how to recovering corrupt or damaged PST files.

First, the Microsoft offical tool scanpst, also called Inbox Repair Tool, can repair the PST file, you can refer the following articles:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010075831.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

If scanpst fails, then you can use third-party Outlook recovery tools such as DataNumen Outlook Repair . It provides a free trial so you can try first to see if it works before purchase it.

(SOLUTION B) In such a case, you can create a new profile on your original computer, and associate the PST file with that new profile, and then remove the old profile and set the new profile as the default one, then restart your Outlook to see if that works. If it still does not work, then your Outlook installation is incorrect and you may need to reinstall Outlook or even Office suite.

Good luck!
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:14 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please verify that the email type you are currectly use, POP3, IMAP or Exchange account?
    Does the

Based on my experience, this error code appears in the two types of problem.
    1. Corrupted data file (OST/PST)
    2. Send/Receive problem

For one, we repair outlook data files with scanpst.exe.SCANPST tool is already existing with Office suite, please locate it at the path: drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE15 and then fix the PST/OST to check if the error code still appears.

The concrete steps to repair data files by using Scanpst.exe to refer to: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010075831.aspx

For two, please perfomr the common troubleshooting steps for send/receive problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Feel free to post back. Thanks.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:44 PM
  • First of all, there are three reasons that may cause your problem, as follows:

1. Your Outlook PST file is damaged or corrupt.
    2. Your Outlook profile is corrupt.
    3. Your Outlook installation or configuration is incorrect.

To determine the accurate reason, you can do as follows:

Copy your PST file to another computer with Outlook installed, then start Outlook, then "File" -> "Open" -> "Outlook Data File", to open the PST file.
    If the PST file cannot be opened, or there are some error messages when opening the file, then your PST file is corrupt and you need to go to (SOLUTION A),
    otherwise, if the PST file can be opened without any problems, then your PST file should be healthy and the reason is 2 or 3, you need to go to (SOLUTION B).

(SOLUTION A): There are a lot of online resources discussing about how to recovering corrupt or damaged PST files.

First, the Microsoft offical tool scanpst, also called Inbox Repair Tool, can repair the PST file, you can refer the following articles:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010075831.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

If scanpst fails, then you can use third-party Outlook recovery tools such as DataNumen Outlook Repair . It provides a free trial so you can try first to see if it works before purchase it.

(SOLUTION B) In such a case, you can create a new profile on your original computer, and associate the PST file with that new profile, and then remove the old profile and set the new profile as the default one, then restart your Outlook to see if that works. If it still does not work, then your Outlook installation is incorrect and you may need to reinstall Outlook or even Office suite.

Good luck!
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:14 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 3:35 AM
  • Tony and chcw, thanks for your time in trying to help.

Since my original post, I was able to find SCNPST.EXE on the troubled computer but it was NOT in the Office15 (or Office14) directory, I found a copy in the x86 program files in an Office12 directory.

SCNPST finds and corrects errors, and the Outlook 0x80040600 error goes away for a day or two and then re-occurs.  Always one or two of the ten email accounts, the others always send/receive OK.

The other maybe-noteworthy thing is that if SCNPST is run and errors are fixed, if SCNPST is run again on the just-repaired file it again reports about the same number (about 70) errors and again wants to repair them.

So we still have an issue with this problem recurring very frequently.  Next time there I will try some of the other ideas suggested by chcw.

Thanks again for your time.

• Edited by boyscout100 Monday, February 17, 2014 5:11 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 5:10 PM
  • This is an issue on my surface pro 3 using outlook 2013 pointing to a pop3 account.  I have to run the scanpst 3-4 times a week.  Only on 1 of the 3 account managed by the client.  I'm guessing at this point that it may be related to times that outlook attempts to receive email when I'm temporarily off line (sp3 is waking up or out of wireless range) but I can't be certain and it does not explain why the other pop3 account does not suffer the same fate.  One other difference is that the one that regularly needs repair is just under 1GB.
    • Edited by rpk_isv Friday, October 10, 2014 2:10 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 2:09 PM
  • I often have a similar issue, even with the new version 2016.

I find that some emails cause the problem, If I view emails with another email client mailbird or mobile phone imap, and delete the email, then outlook will download the rest of the emails.

Im running Windows 10 and outlook 2016 with updates applied ( also had issues with eailer version ), my mail server is on a linux cpanel host

I'm using a pop mail box.

I have found that emails from two specific people always cause the issues with outlook, but is fine on other mail clients.

Monday, January 4, 2016 2:33 AM
  • methods to fix this error connect repair of the Outlook data (PST) file. Methods in the below:

• Manual method:

1. Using the Inbox Repair tool in Outlook: 

The steps to repair PST file through Scanpst.exe are given:

Phase 1: Place the default PST file which is using in the Outlook profile.

• Open the Mail via Control Panel
    • GO to the Show Profiles select the Outlook profile, now, click on the Properties option.
    • Click on the Data Files tab
    • Note down the place of the default PST file.

Phase 2Perform SCANPST.exe file or else the Inbox Repair Tool in Outlook

• Close MS Outlook email account.
    • Run .exe (Outlook Inbox Repair Tool).
    • Enter the address of the PST file in the Enter file name you wish for to scan
    • Click on the Start button.

It is compulsory to know the place of the Inbox Repair Tool in Outlook.

Location of Inbox Repair Tool: In MS Outlook 2013

• Windows (32-bit version): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
    • Windows (64-bit version): C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\
    • Outlook (64-bit): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
    1. Using Scanpst.exe (file (does not fix the error):
    • Attempt to make a new Unicode Outlook PST file.
    • Set the freshly created file as default.
    • Import data from the prior PST file.

Manual has Drawbacks:

• Extended process
    • Time-Consuming process
    • Requires technical proficiency
  • Every attempts not secure neither successful.
    1. By Using a recovery Tool

Shoviv Outlook PST Repair tool has improved the damaged and deleted PST files without any modification into the existing PST files on into new PST files with seemliness is our assure with the use of this tool. Higher scanning features of this genetic tool works to restore permanently deleted emails from PST items to lacking any loss of data.

Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:02 AM