none
Lync client is crashing when we tries to start a Video Call. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are having trouble with Lync Client on Lenovo T520 with Nvidia Optimus technology.(Intel and Nvidia display adapters).

When I try to start a video call with on of my co-workers Lync crashes.

What we have found out is that if we disable one of the display adapters Lync will not crash.

So I think that Lync is not very happy with the new technology with two display adapters that can auto switch when between them when needed.

I have tried to install the hotfixes from May and April. But no success.

Forgot to say that the problem has nothing to do with the integrated camera, we tried with an external camera and the same happend!

Anyone with the same problem or having a fix for this?

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:51 AM

Answers

• Ravanda,

As I understand Optimus technology switches " on the fly" from IGP to discrete GPU based upon application demands.  This sounds like an issue with the specific optimus video drivers that your Laptop is employing that seem to have a issue with video conferencing on Lync. You may want contact the laptop manufacture or check with the GPU manufacture to see there are any updates that could resolve your issue. 

Thanks

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi, Ravnda,

First, please review Lync Server 2010 Attendant System Requirements and Client Hardware Support.

And if you just set video device from lync client options, what will happen? Crash or normal?

Please also check the driver for imaging devices.

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi, Ravnda,

Any update?

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Hi

Same problem here. Seems to be a problem related to switchable graphics, ref http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T520-With-Nvidia-Optimus-enabled-Microsoft-Lync-crashes-when/td-p/415799/highlight/false/page/3
    Workaround is to disable switchable graphics in bios.

Regards
    Jonatan

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Hi Jonatan,

Thanks for the reply, but the link you sent did I create. So I'm trying to find and fix it so that we can use switchable graphics(Optimus) without any tweaking.

Regards,

Stian

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hi Noya,

In video device it's only the integrated.(Not connected external Webcam now). But what we have found out is that the problem doesn't have anthing with the camera driver.

Seems for me that the problem is how Lync is using the machine/hardware.( we tried to use the old client Communicator, and the same problem).

Regards,

Stian

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:25 AM
  • We had the issue with Dell XPS 15z laptop.

To solve the issue, we uninstall the "Dell" NVidia driver, and reinstall the "real"  NVidia driver from the manufacturer web site.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jean-Philippe

Jean-Philippe Breton | Senior Microsoft Consultant | MCTS, MCITP, MCT, MVP
    Friday, June 17, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Thanks JP,

I will try that and let you know how it went. :)

/Stian

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:23 AM
  • How did it go? I'm having the same problem (t520 with switchable graphics).
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:02 AM
  • Ravanda,

As I understand Optimus technology switches " on the fly" from IGP to discrete GPU based upon application demands.  This sounds like an issue with the specific optimus video drivers that your Laptop is employing that seem to have a issue with video conferencing on Lync. You may want contact the laptop manufacture or check with the GPU manufacture to see there are any updates that could resolve your issue. 

Thanks

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Hello, I had the same problem, in the first instance, I had to deactivate the Nvidia Optimus feature, but today, I have updated the graphics drivers directly from the Nvidia website, and it is working without any problem.

However, if you still experiencing crashes with Lync, go to Nvidia Control Panel, in 3D setting pick "Manage 3D settings", and in the program settings' tab, add the communicator.exe and set only one of the video cards.

Diego Gaona.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:31 PM