Configuration Error: RPC Server is unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to get a copy of the SharePoint 2016 preview up and running and I keep getting an error during the configuration wizard when it's trying to create the config database: An error occurred while getting information about the user sp_farm at server domain.com: The RPC server is unavailable.

The database does get created and I need to delete to try and run again.

The same error is coming up both using the AutoSPInstaller scripts and just trying to run the configuration wizard manually.

Weird thing is in the same dev environment I have no trouble installing SharePoint 2010 or 2013.

A lot of the solutions to this issue mention running ipconfig /flushdns and/or ipconfig /registerdns... but that hasn't changed anything...

Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:47 PM

Answers

• I ran into the same issue in setting up SharePoint 2016 on a single server, using the contoso.com domain.

The server was configured with two network cards, one of them allowing internet connectivity.

Whether you use SPInstaller or the Wizard, the create config db command tries to locate the domain controller, which could not be found, as the primary DNS resolution was done by my internet connection.

Running the command

nslookup _ldap._tcp.contoso.com

should resolve to your local domain controller, otherwise the installation is expected to fail.

In my case I just disabled the internet connected network card and the installation went fine.

• Edited by bvdzwaag Monday, May 16, 2016 5:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by bvdzwaag Monday, May 16, 2016 5:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by monkeymaj1k Friday, May 20, 2016 1:46 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 5:07 AM

All replies

• In the event log, I get this error:

Event ID 3760

SQL Database 'SP2016_Config' on SQL Server instance 'sp2016dev.domain.com' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database "SP2016_Config" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\sp_admin'.

Followed by:

Event ID: 5586

Unknown SQL Exception 547 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY SAME TABLE constraint "FK_Objects_Objects". The conflict occurred in database "SP2016_Config", table "dbo.Objects", column 'Id'.
    The statement has been terminated.

The setup account I am using has sysadmin role on the SQL server (even though it only should need dbcreator and securityadmin).
    • Edited by monkeymaj1k Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:53 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:52 PM
  • Hi

What version of SQL are you using? I am getting the same set of errors with SQL2012.
    Then I checked the supported versions of SQL and SQL2012 isnt on there.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wbaer/archive/2015/05/12/what-s-new-in-sharepoint-server-2016-installation-and-deployment.aspx 

I will try with SQL2016 and a buddy of mine is trying with SQL2014. Hopefully this sorts out the issue.

Cheers 
    Andrew

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Getting exactly the same errors while running the configuration wizard for SharePoint 2016 preview.

Configuration wizard: The RPC server is unavailable.

Eventvwr: The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY SAME TABLE constraint "FK_Objects_Objects". The conflict occurred in database "SharePoint_Config", table "dbo.Objects", column 'Id'.

I am using SQL 2016 and Windows server 2016.

Any luck with this issue?

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:14 PM
  • I am in the same boat... I get the RPC server unavailable no matter what ID I use (local admin, etc).

Task configdb has failed with an unknown exception

09/16/2015 09:16:17  9  ERR                              Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: An error occurred while getting information about the user <removed>at server <domain here>: The RPC server is unavailable

I am using Windows 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2 SP2
    • Edited by Marc C David Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:25 PM Added env info
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:21 PM
  • I am getting same error while configuring. I am using SQL server 2014 and SP 2016

An error occurred while getting information about the user ....... at server Infocom.org: The RPC server is unavailable

Any luck?

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:33 AM
  • I have seen this error occur when running the Configuration Wizard with a local server account rather than a domain account added to the local machine administrators group for both SQL server and SharePoint server...

Pretty sure the setup permissions for 2016 are the same as 2013, so refer to them and see if you have missed anything in your build.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678863.aspx

Regards John Timney http://www.johntimney.com

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:46 PM
  • I am using the domain account while configuring the SharePoint still getting the same error.

SQL 2014 also configured with the same domain account. 

Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:59 AM
  • I am getting same error in installation SharePoint 2016

Unknown SQL Exception 547 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY SAME TABLE constraint "FK_Objects_Objects". The conflict occurred in database "SharePoint_Config", table "dbo.Objects", column 'Id'.

Failed to create the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException was thrown.  Additional exception information: An error occurred while getting information about the user ----  at server I-----: The RPC server is unavailable
    System.InvalidOperationException: An error occurred while getting information about the user satish at server Infocom.org: The RPC server is unavailable
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Win32.SPNetApi32.NetUserGetInfo1(String server, String name)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPManagedAccount.GetUserAccountControl(String username)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPManagedAccount.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProcessIdentity.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWindowsService.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarmFactory.CreateTimerService(SPFarm farm)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarmFactory.CreateBasicServices(SPFarm farm)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarmFactory.Create()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder siteMapDatabase, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword, SecureString masterPassphrase)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword, SecureString masterPassphrase)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword, SecureString masterPassphrase)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Anyone resolved this issue?

Thursday, September 24, 2015 10:21 AM
  • Just a thought - are any of you perhaps using a SQL alias, with dynamic ports enabled, as this would also produce that same SQL error, worth checking to at least eliminate it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/archive/2012/05/21/how-to-add-a-hostname-alias-for-a-sql-server-instance.aspx

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:42 PM
  • I am not using any SQL alias as of now, just trying to configure a stand alone server with SQL and SharePoint on it.
    Monday, September 28, 2015 9:43 AM
  • Nope... same exact error.

I even tried installing on a fresh Windows 2012 IIS and Windows 2012 SQL 2014 SP1 box...

same thing.  Used local admins, SQL admins, etc.  Nothing.  Same old RPC unavailable error.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:08 PM
  • So to be clear, you are using a domain account added to the local admin groups on each server. firewalls are off, no dynamic aliases and the installer account has the correct permissions as per the earlier link.

You now its going to be something silly in the end!  All I can suggest is you run a ipconfig /flushdns from the command line on the machines to ensure there are no name resolution issues during setup.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:01 PM
  • I'm getting the same error.  Using the SharePoint 2016 and SQL 2014 images in Windows Azure.  Domain account is added as admin on all servers.  Firewall turned off on all servers.  No SQL alias. 

• Edited by GoDucksYellO Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:57 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:54 PM
  • I would love to know the answer to this as I am having the same issues
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Well, I'm glad to see it's not just me...

I'm using SQL 2014 as I'm fairly certain SQL 2012 isn't supported.

I am using SQL aliases but I have the port specified, I've also tried with the actual fully qualified SQL server name specified (which I would never do when setting up a real farm).

I have been able to successfully set up a fresh domain and build ok. But for some reason this dev environment I've used and upgraded for years won't install SharePoint 2016. I've even rebuilt the server OS a few times to get the same error when I try and run the configuration wizard.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:41 AM
  • Has anybody got is running with the Azure VM Image of SP2016. I tried it from scratch and it works without this problem. I used same procedures in both the setups. Only change was that the VMs which started from scratch worked fine.  Earlier I had spend my whole evening , for setting up SP2016 Farm on Azure . Now Can Happily sleep when it is running now.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:46 PM
  • Same here...

VM machine, Windows Server 2016 technical preview 3, SQL server 2016 CTP 2.4, SharePoint 2016 preview

Firewall turned off, ipconfig flush/register dns etc.

I have installed numerous SharePoint 2007, 2010 and 2013, so all the things I can think of have checked.

Friday, October 2, 2015 7:28 PM
  • Hi,

could you check the following?

1. Is your farm account a domain account or local account?
    2. Can you log on that machine as the farm account and ensure it doesn't have "must change password on first logon" selected or anything like that? Has the account's password been reset?
    3. Does the farm account have all necessary permissions (local admin on SP box and sysadmin on SQL are the best for testing - easier to clean up once you figure out what was actually wrong)?
    4. Is your installation account (the one on which you log on to when you run SharePoint Configuration tool) a domain account? This account becomes the dbowner of all the databases created at that point so it better be a domain account, rather than local account.

Monday, October 5, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Wow...had the same issue (using SQL 2012 R2) and using a SQL Alias (always do that folks!). Re-ran couple of times - viola, it worked on the 4th try.

Very strange but I'd expect it to be buggy.

As folks have stated:

1) Use a domain account that has proper permission in SQL

2) Add that user as a Local Administrator

3) Use a SQL Alias (in 2013, using the instance name will break the User Profile Service)

AND, last but not least - DO NOT USE an "Install" account - just use the Farm Account. Using an install account wastes time as you have to go back and reset services, etc. and you'll have to go about giving the Farm Account permissions (impersonate a client after authenticate, etc.).

David Sterling/CEO - SICG

Monday, October 5, 2015 8:29 PM
  • The farm account is a domain account.

Can logon to the SP machine. It does not have "must change password on first logon" selected.

The farm account is local admin on the SP box. The farm account has the following security privileges on SQL: sysadmin, securityadmin, dbcreator, public.

The installation account is a domain account and also a member of local Administrator group.

For a quick setup, the farm account is the same as the installation account, and also for quick setup purpose, the SQL and SP are on the same VM running Windows Server 2016 technical preview 3

Monday, October 5, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Did you follow the steps in https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt346109(v=office.16).aspx part "Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 3", step 2:

Open Windows PowerShell in an elevated mode, Run as administrator, and run the following commands:
    Add-WindowsFeature NET-HTTP-Activation,NET-Non-HTTP-Activ,NET-WCF-Pipe-Activation45,NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45,Web-Server,Web-WebServer,Web-Common-Http,Web-Static-Content,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-App-Dev,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Asp-Net45,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Net-Ext45,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Health,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Log-Libraries,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-Security,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Filtering,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Performance,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Dyn-Compression,Web-Mgmt-Tools,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Mgmt-Compat,Web-Metabase,WAS,WAS-Process-Model,WAS-NET-Environment,WAS-Config-APIs,Web-Lgcy-Scripting,Windows-Identity-Foundation,Xps-Viewer -verbose

You can check if you have those features installed by running:

Get-WindowsFeature NET-HTTP-Activation,NET-Non-HTTP-Activ,NET-WCF-Pipe-Activation45,NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45,Web-Server,Web-WebServer,Web-Common-Http,Web-Static-Content,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-App-Dev,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Asp-Net45,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Net-Ext45,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Health,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Log-Libraries,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-Security,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Filtering,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Performance,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Dyn-Compression,Web-Mgmt-Tools,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Mgmt-Compat,Web-Metabase,WAS,WAS-Process-Model,WAS-NET-Environment,WAS-Config-APIs,Web-Lgcy-Scripting,Windows-Identity-Foundation,Xps-Viewer

Look at the Intall State column. If not all are Installed, then install them.

Also note if you have all prerequisites installed correctly. The best way would be to use ROIScan, but 2016 is not supported yet, so maybe run the prerequisite installer and see if the last screen with the summary has anything out of the ordinary, or note the list of component on the first page and fing them in add/remove programs.

Monday, October 5, 2015 10:53 PM
  • All these features are installed, verified by Get-WindowsFeature ...

Tried running SP2016 prerequisite again, it states the tool was unable to install Web Server (IIS) Role (no surprise, as it was already installed and cannot be installed again). It further says Web Server (IIS) Role: configured successfully. Other items are no action taken ...

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 8:14 PM
  • If you are trying to install everything on solo server you have to resolve the domain, add the references of AD (domain name and DC ) in the hosts file. Look at the error is about "getting user information".

• Edited by dave0bit Monday, August 1, 2016 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:27 AM
  • Hello,

Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this issue?  I'm getting the same error and have tried all suggestions with no success.  I'm running Server 2012 R2, SQL 2014.  The prerequisites installed successfully.  I'm using a domain account, etc..  I have gone through each of the posts above and have run out of ideas as to why this will not complete. 

Thank you for any help or ideas.

• Edited by bill.ashby Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:31 PM
  • Tried solo and dual. Below are the combinations:

Servers: 2016Pre 2012R2

SP2016Pre  <> SQL2014 Failed

SQL2014  <> SP2016Pre Failed

================================

SQL2014  <> SP2013 Successful

Created a new VM 2012R2, took a snapshot as the base. Tried SP2016Pre, failed as before. Restored VM 2012R2 to the base snapshot. Installed and configured SP2013 without hiccup. Before configuring SP, I made sure all the updates are installed.

After so many suggestions and trials and still failed to configure, SP2016Pre is truly pre-configuration only.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Using Windows Server 2012R2, SQL Server 2014 SP1 and of course Sharepoint 2016 IT Preview.

In my case it was problem with DNS Server configuration.

Usefull to check: DCDIAG /TEST:DNS /V /E /F:logname.txt

Windows Server configured by default NS and SOA records with "win-2012r2." value where it should be "win-2012r2.sharepoint.local." After I have changed that SharePoint Products Configuration Wizzard ran without problems.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. I got SP2016 Preview configured finally, both solo and dual. The servers are on domain sharepoint.local. The DC is dc.sharepoint.local. Ping sharepoint.local shows IP 50.34.X.X. Ping dc.sharepoint.local shows IP 10.5.X.X. My SP2016 Preview and SQL 2014 servers' IPs are 192.168.X.X. When it failed with RPC server is unavailable, it refers to sharepoint.local. Based on the suggestions, I added a line "10.5.X.X sharepoint.local" to the hosts file. This did the trick.

Not sure why SP2013 configured successfully without adding this line.

• Edited by George Fu Friday, October 16, 2015 6:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Marc C David Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:37 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 6:52 PM
  • My domain: alpha.org. SQL2014 SP1 and SP2016Pre on a single-server Windows 2012R2. RPC error every time.

Resolved: adding this line in HOSTS (ip to DC server) and "ifconfig /flushdns"

"192.168.3.xxx alpha.org"

Note: don´t know the effect but I also used "username@alpah.org" for Admin account instead of DOMAIN\username...

Friday, October 23, 2015 10:15 AM
  • Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. I got SP2016 Preview configured finally, both solo and dual. The servers are on domain sharepoint.local. The DC is dc.sharepoint.local. Ping sharepoint.local shows IP 50.34.X.X. Ping dc.sharepoint.local shows IP 10.5.X.X. My SP2016 Preview and SQL 2014 servers' IPs are 192.168.X.X. When it failed with RPC server is unavailable, it refers to sharepoint.local. Based on the suggestions, I added a line "10.5.X.X sharepoint.local" to the hosts file. This did the trick.

Not sure why SP2013 configured successfully without adding this line.

This worked for me once I added the DC to the hosts file it finished the configuration!  thank you!
    Friday, October 23, 2015 12:57 PM
  • This worked for me.  Added a DC's IP to the hosts file with the domain name something.com and it worked!

Now I get a blank admin page even after trying to use basic auth against central admin but at least the install was successful.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:38 PM
  • I was able to get past this issue by adding the IP of the DC into the host file.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 3:42 PM
  • +1 - add IP of DC into the host file 

thks for solution

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:03 PM
  • This has also worked for me thanx a lot!

Even though I don't understand why this is not an issue with SP13.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:19 PM
  • I was facing the same issue. This worked for me once I added the DC to the hosts file. Thanks.
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Looks like adding the line to the hosts file is your answer, after making sure you have correct version of SQL and correct permissions, see below numerous replies mention "added a line "10.5.X.X sharepoint.local" to the hosts file."

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:56 AM
  • Hi there I faced the same issue with SharePoint 2016 RTM look like it was not corrected. I'm using sql 2014 on a different server.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:34 PM
  • I am having this same issue, so far I have done all the proposed actions in this thread:

1: added to host file
    2: flushed DNS
    3: added my SPSADMIN account to ...everything

I am installing 2016 standard on windows 2012 R2 with SQL 2012 on it.. one this is I am trying to do this all on one server. 

thoughts?

Jason

Saturday, May 7, 2016 4:36 PM
  • I ran into the same issue in setting up SharePoint 2016 on a single server, using the contoso.com domain.

The server was configured with two network cards, one of them allowing internet connectivity.

Whether you use SPInstaller or the Wizard, the create config db command tries to locate the domain controller, which could not be found, as the primary DNS resolution was done by my internet connection.

Running the command

nslookup _ldap._tcp.contoso.com

should resolve to your local domain controller, otherwise the installation is expected to fail.

In my case I just disabled the internet connected network card and the installation went fine.

• Edited by bvdzwaag Monday, May 16, 2016 5:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by bvdzwaag Monday, May 16, 2016 5:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by monkeymaj1k Friday, May 20, 2016 1:46 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 5:07 AM
  • This is what worked for me as well:

nslookup of FQDN_DC

should resolve to correct IPs for your setup (disable IPv6 and update IPv4 properties of network adapters settings if needed)

Monday, June 13, 2016 5:18 PM
  • The issue with RPC Server is unavailable is fixed in an upcoming PU.

Bob Fox [MVP WSS]

Thursday, June 16, 2016 6:56 PM
  • IF you're using Azure the DNS might not resolve back to your domain. Simply add a loopback address to your host file for your domain:

127.0.0.1         mydomain.com

• Edited by d4vinder Friday, July 1, 2016 5:34 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Indeed the error is about "getting user information"!
    Monday, August 1, 2016 8:59 AM
  • This was actually a known issue, and was resolved with the June 2016 KB linked below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53287

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:52 PM
  • Hi!

Actually, I was getting the same error. It was working everything fine. Suddenly, I performed "ipconfig/flusdns" with the help of command prompt. This might have created the issue. Also, I had another SQL Server installed, i.e. 2012 in addition to 2014. So, I uninstalled SQL Server 2012 and tried to run the configuration wizard using the SharePoint 2016 Management Shell. That's it. The problem got resolved.

Regards,

Purushottam Patil

Sunday, October 14, 2018 11:48 AM